Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

So I had some blood work done two days ago. My doctor called this morning because my numbers with the liver were out of whack. I'm getting an ultra sound of my abdomen done right after xmas to apparently look for tumors on my liver. I'm really scared to tell my wife. Should I tell her before or wait until I've had it done and see what they say about it? I really don't want to ruin xmas for everyone.

So I had some blood work done two days ago. My doctor called this morning because my numbers with the liver were out of whack. I'm getting an ultra sound of my abdomen done right after xmas to apparently look for tumors on my liver. I'm really scared to tell my wife. Should I tell her before or wait until I've had it done and see what they say about it? I really don't want to ruin xmas for everyone.

You should probably just tell her. Surprises are no fun.

My two year old's bed time has creeped later and later and it gotten to the point where he's awake until 1130. This gives me no down time, very limited sleep and and just an overall miserable quality of life.

I'm sure I'm partially to blame but I think my wife is the main culprit. I think he naps longer than she is telling me giving him the energy to stay up late.

I've read toddlers are supposed to nap 1-2 hours and be awake by 3 pm. From best I can tell, he's sleeping 1-4 or longer. I've had the discussions with my wife but she is selfish, and not in like a normal way but in like I don't care about how much anything I do ruins other people's lives, whatever I need is more important and everyone around me will suffer indefinitely.

I'm running out of patience and ideas...

Waiting until Cody falls asleep to do the driveway, as my wife, who has been sleeping for an hour and already took a nap today.

This is really tough! I think money issues would be a major concern if I was married, because I actually get depressed if I have to spend anything. But losing sleep would just kill me. 

My dad told me after he was diagnosed with cancer. He pulled me aside as we were walking with my mom and my wife and he told me. He had a really positive outlook, the doctor said that they caught it early and everyone was very optimistic. I was supportive and I held it together all day. When my parent left my place to return home, I was sitting with my wife and she asked me about it, and I absolutely lost it.

I'm betting my reaction would have been exactly the same had he told me ahead of time that his doc wanted him to come in and do a bunch of tests to screen him for cancer.

I'm sorry to hear about this - hopefully everything turns out all right.

My dad told me after he was diagnosed with cancer. He pulled me aside as we were walking with my mom and my wife and he told me. He had a really positive outlook, the doctor said that they caught it early and everyone was very optimistic. I was supportive and I held it together all day. When my parent left my place to return home, I was sitting with my wife and she asked me about it, and I absolutely ###### lost it.

I'm betting my reaction would have been exactly the same had he told me ahead of time that his doc wanted him to come in and do a bunch of tests to screen him for cancer.

To ubkev's point, I don't know if there is a good way to communicate news like that. That's a tough spot.

Nothing like a good dose of reality to put things into perspective.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.  Speaking of which, it's my prayer time again (the mid-afternoon Athan just sounded here in Halifax), so this is perfect timing.

I also think you should talk with your wife about this sooner, rather than later.

Best wishes.

I agree with the others that you should tell your wife and then you can both decide from there who you should tell if anyone.

Personally, if I thought my wife would want all of our friends and family to know going into the Christmas season I wouldn't tell her. It would add undue stress to the situation for me when people start asking a lot of questions I don't have answers to.

You have no right/wrong answer. It's a gut call for your health and well being. 

My two year old's bed time has creeped later and later and it gotten to the point where he's awake until 1130. This gives me no down time, very limited sleep and and just an overall miserable quality of life.

I'm sure I'm partially to blame but I think my wife is the main culprit. I think he naps longer than she is telling me giving him the energy to stay up late.

I've read toddlers are supposed to nap 1-2 hours and be awake by 3 pm. From best I can tell, he's sleeping 1-4 or longer. I've had the discussions with my wife but she is selfish, and not in like a normal way but in like I don't care about how much anything I do ruins other people's lives, whatever I need is more important and everyone around me will suffer indefinitely.

I'm running out of patience and ideas...

Waiting until Cody falls asleep to do the driveway, as my wife, who has been sleeping for an hour and already took a nap today.

You are either past me and/or I am future you. Your sleep suffering will be soothed in the coming months, and an entirely new set of problems will re-emerge due to the cause of your symptoms. But constant sleep deprivation is the flipping worst. At one time I stopped short of my home and slept for an hour in my car just to get a break from the no sleep, tired at home tired at work cycle. What time does your son wake up? That should also give you an indication.

You are either past me and/or I am future you. Your sleep suffering will be soothed in the coming months, and an entirely new set of problems will re-emerge due to the cause of your symptoms. But constant sleep deprivation is the flipping worst. At one time I stopped short of my home and slept for an hour in my car just to get a break from the no sleep, tired at home tired at work cycle. What time does your son wake up? That should also give you an indication.

Last night sleep at 1130, awake today at 8. He took a 15 minutes nap with me as I'm off for the holidays but I'm almost certain he's going to fall asleep between now and 5. It's inevitable and there is almost nothing I can do about it.

I can hold up pretty good on minimal sleep but my wife turns into a bigger mess than she already is. How does someone lose their phone/keys/glasses every day?!?!

:( Sorry you're having to deal with the stress and uncertainty of waiting for answers, especially at this time of year.  Best wishes for good news, my friend.  There's no good answer, but chances are she'll be upset no matter when you tell her... maybe more so if she finds out after the fact, but at the same time if it really is right after x-mas then I'm sure she couldn't hold it against you for waiting another 1-2 days to tell her.

Edit: But if it's weighing on you enough that she'll notice something is up, you're better off telling her now.

Edited by biodork

Oh man, I'm sorry. I hope they gave you some additional meds to pull through the worst of it. And I hope the rest of the surgery went well! 

Oh yeah, I've got some quality pain meds. First few times I took them though, they made my heart race uncontrollably. I'm talking to the point that I was taking tylenol instead of them and dealing with the pain because it was more appealing than the pounding chest. However, that "pain" was before the block wore off. I have given them another chance today out of necessity, and no luckily I've had no ill effects. Heart rate is fine, and the stronger meds are helping out a lot. Chatted with my surgeon's nurse, and she said that is was likely a combination of the stronger meds and the lingering effects of anesthesia that sped up my heart rate. 

What's bothering me the most right now is the incision. I obviously haven't seen it since I'm in a hard cast, but the surgeon said it's about 6 inches long. It's throbbing like crazy. That was the last thing that the nerve block was shielding me from. Now I can feel the cast pressuring the incision, and it feels like a machete in my ankle! I'm hanging in there though. Very happy there's a Sabres game tonight to watch :)

Very sorry to hear this. Best wishes that everything turns out okay! I can't imagine how stressful it is going through the holidays not knowing. I don't do well with uncertainty like that.

Me personally, I would tell my fiancee right away. I wouldn't be able to keep it from her, just because I'm not good at hiding things. Even though it would upset her and would damper the holidays, I know she'd want to know. And I would want her to know so that she could support me. I wouldn't want to go through the holidays internalizing this kind of thing. I don't think I would tell everyone else until you've got more info. But the wife, I would tell now so we're on the same page and get through it together. Best of luck either way!

Scary ####.

Don't know your wife, so no advice to give. Will say a prayer hoping the tests come back well. Good luck w/ it.

Oh yeah, I've got some quality pain meds. First few times I took them though, they made my heart race uncontrollably. I'm talking to the point that I was taking tylenol instead of them and dealing with the pain because it was more appealing than the pounding chest. However, that "pain" was before the block wore off. I have given them another chance today out of necessity, and no luckily I've had no ill effects. Heart rate is fine, and the stronger meds are helping out a lot. Chatted with my surgeon's nurse, and she said that is was likely a combination of the stronger meds and the lingering effects of anesthesia that sped up my heart rate. 

What's bothering me the most right now is the incision. I obviously haven't seen it since I'm in a hard cast, but the surgeon said it's about 6 inches long. It's throbbing like crazy. That was the last thing that the nerve block was shielding me from. Now I can feel the cast pressuring the incision, and it feels like a machete in my ankle! I'm hanging in there though. Very happy there's a Sabres game tonight to watch :)

I had the speedy heart thing too, I just wrote it off as my usual heart problems (I've got metal in there over a big ol' hole). Truth be told, I had a lot of problems with the anesthetic. I almost crashed post op, have struggled with depression pretty badly since and then silly things like parts of my hair falling out/not growing back well. I've had many surgeries in my lifetime, but that leg one was the first time I've had problems like that. I didn't really want to tell you all that prior to your surgery- just stay aware of things! 

The incision burned/throbbed for me. My surgery was day before Thanksgiving, and I remember the car ride to d4rk's family's house in Buffalo pretty well- my vivid imagination was having a ball with the 6 inch incision and stitches and gauze sticking to things. It'll get better pretty quickly!!!

And if it doesn't... do something. Better safe than sorry!!! I almost lost my freakin' toes because the hospital people wrapped my leg up too tight for the weeks prior to surgery. They were black, massively swollen, and numb before I decided "no, this ain't normal..." 

best of luck! 

iTInSn- My thoughts are with you. My 2c- if I found out d4rk had hidden a health issue from me, even for a holiday, I'd be pretty upset. I'd want to know. It's not fair to suffer alone. 

But that's me. Everyone handles tough news differently. Best of luck, I hope all is okay. 

I appreciate the concern but FTR, I'm fine IMO. I'm more worried about my wife's well being more than mine. She is not only my best friend, but the best I've ever had. This is nothing more than my doctor trying to scare me into quitting drinking. She is right though and if my drinking habits have caused this problem with my liver, then I owe it to my wife to alter

Those habits.

I had the speedy heart thing too, I just wrote it off as my usual heart problems (I've got metal in there over a big ol' hole). Truth be told, I had a lot of problems with the anesthetic. I almost crashed post op, have struggled with depression pretty badly since and then silly things like parts of my hair falling out/not growing back well. I've had many surgeries in my lifetime, but that leg one was the first time I've had problems like that. I didn't really want to tell you all that prior to your surgery- just stay aware of things! 

The incision burned/throbbed for me. My surgery was day before Thanksgiving, and I remember the car ride to d4rk's family's house in Buffalo pretty well- my vivid imagination was having a ball with the 6 inch incision and stitches and gauze sticking to things. It'll get better pretty quickly!!!

And if it doesn't... do something. Better safe than sorry!!! I almost lost my freakin' toes because the hospital people wrapped my leg up too tight for the weeks prior to surgery. They were black, massively swollen, and numb before I decided "no, this ain't normal..." 

best of luck! 

Geez, sorry to hear all that! This is my second surgery, so only my second time with anesthesia. First time I had no problems whatsoever. This time the racing heart was really scaring me, so I'm glad that has stopped. I think I'm mostly back to normal, but I'm obviously on the lookout for anything strange. Just took another dose of medication not too long ago, and it made me a little jittery but nothing bad at all. Normal pain med type of feeling. Tomorrow I have the six hour car ride from Columbus to Rochester. We'll see how tough it is the get comfortable for that! I'm going to be all set up in the back seat so I can keep elevated. I'm hoping I can sleep some of it away so I'm not just hanging out and thinking about the throbbing. 

PS: Thanks for being me internet vent buddy through all this :)

Geez, sorry to hear all that! This is my second surgery, so only my second time with anesthesia. First time I had no problems whatsoever. This time the racing heart was really scaring me, so I'm glad that has stopped. I think I'm mostly back to normal, but I'm obviously on the lookout for anything strange. Just took another dose of medication not too long ago, and it made me a little jittery but nothing bad at all. Normal pain med type of feeling. Tomorrow I have the six hour car ride from Columbus to Rochester. We'll see how tough it is the get comfortable for that! I'm going to be all set up in the back seat so I can keep elevated. I'm hoping I can sleep some of it away so I'm not just hanging out and thinking about the throbbing. 

PS: Thanks for being me internet vent buddy through all this :)

haha no problem. It wasn't easy for me last year, and I spent most of my time living alone dealing with it. I never knew what to expect. Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything! 

Good luck with that car ride! Pillows. Lotsa pillows! 

Test drove an '07 4Runner tonight and HATED it. Good grief why does anyone buy them?

I don't think I'm made for Japanese cars. There's something about how they design seats that kills my back.

I might be going back to good old fashioned American trucks...

I've been driving a '12 F150 for a year and a half and it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned(besides my'82 Celica/Supra). Comfortable and tough. Basic maintenance so far. Not as bad on gas as I thought either.

I've been driving a '12 F150 for a year and a half and it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned(besides my'82 Celica/Supra). Comfortable and tough. Basic maintenance so far. Not as bad on gas as I thought either.

I'm looking at a '10 right now. I liked my Suburban and was hoping to avoid going back to full size trucks, but I gotta say, they check most of the boxes for me.