Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Are their products, warnings, government help, etc bilingual? Speaking multiple languages isn't a bad thing at all, but if I go to Germany to live there I should learn the language not only to better assimilate myself, but because it shouldn't be their responsibility to accommodate me

It is if they want you to give them your money. 

I think if you went to Germany you'd find advertisements in a variety of languages. Diversity does that. 

Keep in mind that it takes time for people to learn languages too. Just because someone doesn't fully speak good English yet doesn't mean they aren't trying. But maybe the ad being in Spanish is more helpful to them. What's the harm? 

Btw, if I wanted to go to Germany for college, I have the option of taking classes taught in English. A lot of European unis do that. 

Sizzle- thanks for the kind words! I'm definitely trying to figure out my next steps, and doing freelance as my own "business" may be one of the few ways I can move to Buffalo and not go completely unemployed for awhile. Spring is my drop dead date- if nothing has come up by then and our lease here in Roc is up, I'm going, and either remoting for where I work now or finding someone else to remote for so I have a somewhat decent income. I might poke you for info down the road though! 

The harassment thing- man, how can i ever describe it. Well, there's really nothing I can do. I'm very reticent. I've known the guy since college, he's never seemed untoward before. He's one of the few nice people I could actually go to for issues here. I think he's just an awkward as hell guy who thinks he's being nice, he knows I've been depressed lately, maybe that's it. If it continues, though... 

There's already a "we have a couple women who work here therefore we're really progressive and great" mentality here... but if you go out with them, without the one or two people who truly champion women's rights, it's very much a "hey that biddy's got great titties" sort of deal. Because guys, which I can roll with most the time.

My friend I mentioned- this guy really came on to her. Nothing coercive, but it went so far as she found a rose under her windshield wiper after he'd been drunk after work one night. He's married, she's engaged. We wrote it off as "well, you're an attractive, assertive, female developer, and he's an idiot". 

But now me..??? He's known me for years. 

It's just one of those... "oh crap, one of the few other people here I actually trusted/respected is... less than I thought" things. I can't really go to anyone, as d4rk mentioned, I have no HR, the one PM who acts as HR is ACTUALLY creepy and very sexist, and the bosses don't give a sh!t and have told me I'm wrong for lesser things. The head boss has his trophy wife he refers to as "little wifey" and is utterly terrified of me because I know more about cars than he does.

I don't want to get fired. I want to leave on my own terms. And I don't want them to do what they did to my friend, which is "make it up to me" by inviting me out to their bacchanals every week, where I pretty much have to go and am then surrounded by drunk mid life crises men and holy sh!t THAT is creepy. It's REALLY unsettling. I've been to a couple. Oh god no. 

But that's the gaming industry. That's why I want out. It's not even that bad here, comparative to AAA. And dare a woman come forward? Well, just read some GamerGate comments and get back to me. 

The blackballing- everyone knows everyone in the WNY area. I'd be "complainy bitch who does she think she is, she's trouble, feminazi SJW liberal psycho don't hire her" immediately, and places I'd want to work would just hear "trouble, do not hire". 

And lord do I NOT want to get into litigation. For me, the best thing would be to leave amicably. I know most people are looking. Id' rather they fail on their own. I do NOT NOT NOT dear god NO want to deal with litigation or arguments or anything. It's just not me at all, I haven't got grounds, and it would ruin me forever. They have done a lot for me (yes i know i have stockholm syndrome) and the job hasn't been the worst, the company just needs work. The most I'd do is leave them with recommendations. I already have created an onboarding plan for them that should help give new artists agency.

Woo, being stuck, rock and hard place. I just want a normal office. I want to do good work. I want to like my life again. 

Edited by Josie914

Wifey. Hmmm. I used that term for Mrs. Sanders. Am I sexist? I don't think I am, but, I dunno, I do haul that word out once in a while. I think we're all a product of where and when we grew up. Wifey. The Mrs. The Lady Friend. The Old Gal. Hoo boy. Thank God I don't own the Sabres and have to speak into a microphone occasionally.

Wifey. Hmmm. I used that term for Mrs. Sanders. Am I sexist? I don't think I am, but, I dunno, I do haul that word out once in a while. I think we're all a product of where and when we grew up. Wifey. The Mrs. The Lady Friend. The Old Gal. Hoo boy. Thank God I don't own the Sabres and have to speak into a microphone occasionally.

It's not so much the words as it is the way he says it. He's dismissive. The words are kinda gross too, but that's just my opinion. I'm just not a very ooh honey sweetie pie hubby dearest type person haha 

And I'm sorry. I'd rather vent it here and to some friends than spend money and time I don't have going through what would probably be one of the most stressful times of my life trying to bring down a company that will only result in smearing myself and hatred. I'm too weak to handle that. Sorry. I stand up for my coworkers when I can, I make things better where I can, but until I can document something or something truly heinous happens beyond "small company makes stupid mistakes", I'm pretty powerless. 

Wifey. 

I generally agree. I have a dear friend who is unimpeachably liberal, progressive, yadda yadda -- and he sometimes uses the term to refer to his beloved wife.

For me? It's creepy as hell. But that's entirely because of my passing (PASSING) familiarity with the husband-wife team who were early pioneers in the, um -- niche online p0rn industry. Her persona/character was simply "Wifey." The site went by the DBA Wifey's World or something. Ick.

It's not so much the words as it is the way he says it. He's dismissive. The words are kinda gross too, but that's just my opinion. I'm just not a very ooh honey sweetie pie hubby dearest type person haha 

And I'm sorry. I'd rather vent it here and to some friends than spend money and time I don't have going through what would probably be one of the most stressful times of my life trying to bring down a company that will only result in smearing myself and hatred. I'm too weak to handle that. Sorry. I stand up for my coworkers when I can, I make things better where I can, but until I can document something or something truly heinous happens beyond "small company makes stupid mistakes", I'm pretty powerless. 

You have nothing to apologize for. Sorry for presuming I had a better sense of how to direct or counsel you.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Generally that sprt of talk is consistent with a level of latent (or not so latent) xenophobia that I would find problematic.

I'm sure it's not the case with you. But, not the best look, imo.

Nope, not at all. Do finitely get why it sounds like that. I would just like people to take pride in th country that they live in

Are their products, warnings, government help, etc bilingual? Speaking multiple languages isn't a bad thing at all, but if I go to Germany to live there I should learn the language not only to better assimilate myself, but because it shouldn't be their responsibility to accommodate me

In a similar sense I get mad when someone says, 'I'm Italian/German/whatever' No, you're not, you're American

It's different in Europe.  Almost everyone speaks English as a second language.  Especially in Germany.  If they hear you speaking even somewhat bad german with an english accent, they're going to switch to english.

Also, America is such a relatively young country that most people are referring to their heritage.  I'm absolutely an American, but in the context of a heritage conversation I'm going to identify as British and East European Jewish.

Nope, not at all. Do finitely get why it sounds like that. I would just like people to take pride in th country that they live in

It's more about being accurate for me. I have nephews whose GREAT GRANDPARENTS on one side of one side of the family came from Italy. And they claim to be Italian. (It's all about girls, of course.)

Pst, guys, I think WildCard is voting for Trump :p

Hahah idk about that

It's more about being accurate for me. I have nephews whose GREAT GRANDPARENTS on one side of one side of the family came from Italy. And they claim to be Italian. (It's all about girls, of course.)

Exactly what I'm saying

Just doing my part to keep the complaint thread up top :)

Not to worry, sir. I was just bustin'.

Well, I'm not sure I want teenage boys as the test case on the subject.

America is a country big enough, broad enough that people can celebrate their heritage (be it European, African, Latino, etc.) and simultaneously identity as Americans.

It's not one or the other.

I think it's just the nature of being American that we try to associate with our ancestral roots. Almost all of our families were immigrants. We spend a lot of time in school as kids discussing our heritage because coming from Europe or Africa are two pretty big reasons why America exists at all.

We're like a bunch of adopted kids looking for our biological parents.

Thanks!

So Truecar.com has become a real great resource for car shopping. Trying to figure out where the best deals are is not easy, and I'm trying to have a bunch of plans ready to go whenever this VW buyback finally goes down.

That said, I made the mistake today of clicking too far through its New Car search menus and now my email and phone is blowing up with calls from local dealers reaching out. 

Woops.  :wallbash:

My interim boss is my soon to be permanent boss. Decent guy but he lacks in so many areas. I've probably done a poor job asserting myself enough to be in contention for the position but he lacks in so many areas. Poor people skills, ineffective communicator, no follow through, I could go on.

My interim boss is my soon to be permanent boss. Decent guy but he lacks in so many areas. I've probably done a poor job asserting myself enough to be in contention for the position but he lacks in so many areas. Poor people skills, ineffective communicator, no follow through, I could go on.

As I have gone on in life if come to realize that the best place for someone who "you can't be rid of" is boss. He's in the spotlight and will either sink or swim. The ######## sink ever time.

Edited to filter myself.

Edited by iTInSn

Last weekend before the semester. I'm not mentally or emotionally ready this year. And financially, I'm not sure I can afford enough beer.

Somewhat related, is there anything worse than not noticing a typo (despite looking it over several times) on something important until immediately after you submit it? :cry: