Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Hillary

There is a thread for this.

I'm super pissed at one of my employees. I had to suspend him for unprofessional behavior in the work place. We had a long discussion about it. He understood he wemt over the line and regrets the way he acted.

So 36 hours later post suspension, he goes to HR stating he feels he shouldn't have gotten suspended and he's getting a raw deal. I went out of my way to let him know that I advocate for him constantly even though most people in the building don't appreciate him. I'm done being nice to this .

I'm super pissed at one of my employees. I had to suspend him for unprofessional behavior in the work place. We had a long discussion about it. He understood he wemt over the line and regrets the way he acted.

So 36 hours later post suspension, he goes to HR stating he feels he shouldn't have gotten suspended and he's getting a raw deal. I went out of my way to let him know that I advocate for him constantly even though most people in the building don't appreciate him. I'm done being nice to this ######.

Ain't that some .

So 36 hours later post suspension, he goes to HR stating he feels he shouldn't have gotten suspended and he's getting a raw deal. I went out of my way to let him know that I advocate for him constantly even though most people in the building don't appreciate him. I'm done being nice to this ######.

Come on, it's one complaint. There's a whole thread related to terrorist attacks

No good deed goes unpunished, apparently.

Imposter syndrome

As far as I can tell, you either don't know your faults (of which you probably have many) or you feel like an imposter. The primary difference between people is how well you deal with it or not let on that you feel like an imposter. Don't worry about it too much, you're probably fine.

Co-workers.  Specifically, those who, having the exact same education and qualifications I do, apparently can't work a television.  A work order was put in because the teleconference equipment was not working.  No audio coming through. 

The monitor was muted.  On our side.  You could tell this was the case because of the large floating speaker with a Ghostbusters slash through it floating across the screen.  This evidently prevented work from being done properly for two days. 

What in the actual ?

Co-workers.  Specifically, those who, having the exact same education and qualifications I do, apparently can't work a television.  A work order was put in because the teleconference equipment was not working.  No audio coming through. 

The monitor was muted.  On our side.  You could tell this was the case because of the large floating speaker with a Ghostbusters slash through it floating across the screen.  This evidently prevented work from being done properly for two days. 

What in the actual ######?

One of my favorite facebook posts ever was my friend John complaining that the intern had to google "month numbers."

I'm about ready to give up on anyone in Buffalo wanting me. It just feel so hopeless and I want to die. 

So I guess I'll just become yet another web developer so someone will hire me. Unless being self taught is a sin. Probably will be. Joy.

But it could be the lack of coffee talking- had a dental thing done this morning and can't have any "staining drinks" for 24 hours. I'm in severe caffeine withdrawal. 

As far as I can tell, you either don't know your faults (of which you probably have many) or you feel like an imposter. The primary difference between people is how well you deal with it or not let on that you feel like an imposter. Don't worry about it too much, you're probably fine.

It's just odd, getting this job and feeling like I'm still 18. My manager just came by and gave me some very nice praise, so I guess it's all in my head

I'm about ready to give up on anyone in Buffalo wanting me. It just feel so hopeless and I want to die.

So I guess I'll just become yet another web developer so someone will hire me. Unless being self taught is a sin. Probably will be. Joy.

But it could be the lack of coffee talking- had a dental thing done this morning and can't have any "staining drinks" for 24 hours. I'm in severe caffeine withdrawal.

Sorry I missed it, but what are you applying for?

Sorry I missed it, but what are you applying for?

Any design job in Buffalo. I'm just not the flavor anyone wants in that city. Apparently I need to be a 100% graphic designer or web developer. I was told I am too creative in one case. 

So now I just have to give up everything I've worked for most of my life I guess. I guess that's better than staying where I am. My nonexistant free time will now be spent teaching myself how to be someone else. 

Any design job in Buffalo. I'm just not the flavor anyone wants in that city. Apparently I need to be a 100% graphic designer or web developer. I was told I am too creative in one case. 

So now I just have to give up everything I've worked for most of my life I guess. I guess that's better than staying where I am. My nonexistant free time will now be spent teaching myself how to be someone else. 

You are way too young to give up.  Someday you & d4rk and I should meet for a drink and I'll tell you how long the road can be--but also how persistence can pay off.

Don't give up. 

Josie, It is a long road. And it is filled with rejection. Hardest thing I've ever had to deal with was my long job search. And it affected me greatly. Dont give up. It took me 4 years to get back to having a job I love. And my field has plenty of opportunities. Its going to take a lot of percerverance. Be stubborn. Be resourceful. Be relentless.

And be OK with the inevitable rejections. Opportunity will come.

Edited by We've

This whole Volkswagen Dieselgate thing really has me stressed out. I leased this car last year as a way to get myself into a car that was reliable, had good payments, good economy, and if I liked it would hold its resale value when I bought it out. Now I'm sitting here paying lease payments into a car I have no intention of continuing to drive once the recall starts this fall, and I'm looking at my 30k lease mileage allotment and realizing I'm going to be edging pretty close to that by the time I might be able to terminate my lease and give it back. I'm trying to avoid going over-mileage so I don't have to pay VW wear and tear fees when I turn it in, but that's going to be tough with my commute. 

What I end up with is a situation where I'm going to have to turn this car in (or park it) in the middle of the winter, and find something else to drive. But the options aren't easy.

I've been shopping around to see if I could get something cheap to stretch my miles out a bit, but cheap cars are cheap for a reason. I don't really want to buy something that could break and cost me money. Especially if it happens in the middle of the winter. A sub-$1000 beater never actually costs $1000. My accountant friends nicknamed me "Sunk Costs" for a reason. I'm not a stranger to hoopties. 

So I look at used cars in the $3000-$6000 range. Maybe I can get something I like there, put a modest down payment on it, finance the rest on a 24 month loan, and cross my fingers that a 10 year old car from a buy-here-pay-here lot doesn't turn out to be a lemon. Not to mention taking out another auto loan when I already have an auto loan, and no idea when I'm going to actually be able to stop paying on the VW loan. I could afford to add another $200/mo to my current debt, but I don't want to end up upside down on that loan. 

It's starting to look to me like my best choice is to wait until I'm right up against the 30k mile mark and go buy something newer and more reliable, since it'll probably be some time between November and January and the weather is going to prevent me from giving a cheaper used car the kind of thorough once-over I like to do. Crawling on the ground and whatnot. I would prefer to have something purchased and ready to go before I have to turn the VW in, but I'm struggling to convince myself that being prepared saves me any money. 

Not to mention I really don't know what I would buy. I'm a car guy. I don't want to buy an appliance. I like a car with a community and an aftermarket, and that allows me to be emotionally invested in its ownership. I'm a little needy in this respect. It's my nature.

October 18th is when this buyback is supposed to go live. It can't get here soon enough. Being in financial limbo is killing me.  :(

^ Wishing i could help d4rk in some way. My parents still would be willing to sell you their VW combi.... premium gas and all :/

Mine's the same. Just add coworker who hit on my friend enough that she left now hitting on me... he's harmless but... Oh god it's just so awkward. I've known him for years and he never did it before. He's married. And now I'm nervous about what to wear again. My first year here there was a guy who would make creepy comments and I just stopped dressing nice. He left eventually, and now I regularly wear nice dresses. Yeah, it's a stupid complaint, and it's not sexual harassment, it's just... uncomfortable. As if I needed to be MORE uncomfortable at this job. Oh god, someone please hire me... 

The place I really like in Lockport that actually got in touch with me said they just don't have room for me. It wasn't a rejection but... well, it wasn't my ticket out of here yet either. 

This whole Volkswagen Dieselgate thing really has me stressed out. I leased this car last year as a way to get myself into a car that was reliable, had good payments, good economy, and if I liked it would hold its resale value when I bought it out. Now I'm sitting here paying lease payments into a car I have no intention of continuing to drive once the recall starts this fall, and I'm looking at my 30k lease mileage allotment and realizing I'm going to be edging pretty close to that by the time I might be able to terminate my lease and give it back. I'm trying to avoid going over-mileage so I don't have to pay VW wear and tear fees when I turn it in, but that's going to be tough with my commute. 

What I end up with is a situation where I'm going to have to turn this car in (or park it) in the middle of the winter, and find something else to drive. But the options aren't easy.

I've been shopping around to see if I could get something cheap to stretch my miles out a bit, but cheap cars are cheap for a reason. I don't really want to buy something that could break and cost me money. Especially if it happens in the middle of the winter. A sub-$1000 beater never actually costs $1000. My accountant friends nicknamed me "Sunk Costs" for a reason. I'm not a stranger to hoopties. 

So I look at used cars in the $3000-$6000 range. Maybe I can get something I like there, put a modest down payment on it, finance the rest on a 24 month loan, and cross my fingers that a 10 year old car from a buy-here-pay-here lot doesn't turn out to be a lemon. Not to mention taking out another auto loan when I already have an auto loan, and no idea when I'm going to actually be able to stop paying on the VW loan. I could afford to add another $200/mo to my current debt, but I don't want to end up upside down on that loan. 

It's starting to look to me like my best choice is to wait until I'm right up against the 30k mile mark and go buy something newer and more reliable, since it'll probably be some time between November and January and the weather is going to prevent me from giving a cheaper used car the kind of thorough once-over I like to do. Crawling on the ground and whatnot. I would prefer to have something purchased and ready to go before I have to turn the VW in, but I'm struggling to convince myself that being prepared saves me any money. 

Not to mention I really don't know what I would buy. I'm a car guy. I don't want to buy an appliance. I like a car with a community and an aftermarket, and that allows me to be emotionally invested in its ownership. I'm a little needy in this respect. It's my nature.

October 18th is when this buyback is supposed to go live. It can't get here soon enough. Being in financial limbo is killing me.  :(

If I recall correctly, Josie has a car that fits most of those requirements; perhaps becoming parents to two would be a good option. The newer ones (if you're in that neighborhood) are actually OK on gas.

As for the rest, have you considered a motorcycle? :) (I'm not saying it's super cheap, but you could pick up a serviceable motorcycle or scooter for <$2000 and use that to eat up miles when it's nice out.) Doesn't solve your issue with having ready transport in the winter though.

I think I'm going to start taking a shot every time I hear something along the lines of "Your experience and credentials represent significant accomplishments, but they don't match exactly what we're looking for, so we're going to pass".

Same. First round's on me. 

^ Wishing i could help d4rk in some way. My parents still would be willing to sell you their VW combi.... premium gas and all :/

Mine's the same. Just add coworker who hit on my friend enough that she left now hitting on me... he's harmless but... Oh god it's just so awkward. I've known him for years and he never did it before. He's married. And now I'm nervous about what to wear again. My first year here there was a guy who would make creepy comments and I just stopped dressing nice. He left eventually, and now I regularly wear nice dresses. Yeah, it's a stupid complaint, and it's not sexual harassment, it's just... uncomfortable. As if I needed to be MORE uncomfortable at this job. Oh god, someone please hire me... 

The place I really like in Lockport that actually got in touch with me said they just don't have room for me. It wasn't a rejection but... well, it wasn't my ticket out of here yet either. 

I love your parent's wagon. But I'm really worried about the accident damage repair quality and the inevitable failure of the turbocharger. I'm also more than a little sour on Volkswagen at the moment. 

If I recall correctly, Josie has a car that fits most of those requirements; perhaps becoming parents to two would be a good option. The newer ones (if you're in that neighborhood) are actually OK on gas.

As for the rest, have you considered a motorcycle? :) (I'm not saying it's super cheap, but you could pick up a serviceable motorcycle or scooter for <$2000 and use that to eat up miles when it's nice out.) Doesn't solve your issue with having ready transport in the winter though.

I really love Subarus. Everything about them makes sense to me. But there's one major problem with them, and it's the seats. I can't sit in those cars for any length of time without my back absolutely killing me. It's something with how they do the bolstering and the lumbar support, but no matter what I do I can't get comfortable. It actually makes me sad. 

I'm looking at Jeeps I think. I started looking at old XJ's and ZJ's because I prefer an SUV to be useful and I've always considered Wranglers to be kinda useless. But when they came out with the 4DR that got my attention. I've heard they're not the best handling, but I might give them a look. I like the aftermarket and I like that the Wrangler holds its value incredibly well. I also like the crude construction because it offers some fun for customizing and wrenching. I don't know, it's the best I can come up with. Jeeps. 

I love your parent's wagon. But I'm really worried about the accident damage repair quality and the inevitable failure of the turbocharger. I'm also more than a little sour on Volkswagen at the moment. 

I don't know, it's the best I can come up with. Jeeps. 

Oy yeah, I hear you. Just mentioning it since it is an option. And I can confirm it's a good car, might get you through this rough spot. But yeah... when breaks on it, waiting for some damn tool to work on its precious German whatever can be bloody frustrating. 

Get a jeep?

Dirty dangles, eh boys? giphy.gif

I really love Subarus. Everything about them makes sense to me. But there's one major problem with them, and it's the seats. I can't sit in those cars for any length of time without my back absolutely killing me. It's something with how they do the bolstering and the lumbar support, but no matter what I do I can't get comfortable. It actually makes me sad. 

I'm looking at Jeeps I think. I started looking at old XJ's and ZJ's because I prefer an SUV to be useful and I've always considered Wranglers to be kinda useless. But when they came out with the 4DR that got my attention. I've heard they're not the best handling, but I might give them a look. I like the aftermarket and I like that the Wrangler holds its value incredibly well. I also like the crude construction because it offers some fun for customizing and wrenching. I don't know, it's the best I can come up with. Jeeps. 

Funny, I was just thinking about Jeeps this morning as something that'd be an OK solution when I get rid of my WRX. My car is 90% getting me to work and back these days and there's no way I can justify getting another one (as much as I love it). I'd think Jeep as it'd be fine in the winter (for me) and fun in the summer. Realistically I'll end up with a basic car or a base Impreza if I still want to have something AWD. I'd like the Impreza because the snow tires and rims I have for the WRX would probably fit.