Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I can complain about so many things surrounding the job thing, but I don't really wish to waste anyone's time.  I will say, though, that I find it the height of hypocrisy that, while on the one hand the social meme for a long time now has been about doing the right thing for children and doing things that benefit the family, yet when you arrange your career to tend to those very things, you essentially give yourself a career Scarlett Letter.

My wife went/continues to go through this.  We just gave up and live on one income with as much belt-tightening as possible.  With my kids having completely different schedules (within the same district!) and how much parent involvement is needed for school work/activities these days, her job is now a 2nd teacher to my kids/homemaker.  We unfortunately really have no other or very limited choices currently.  The school systems in Ohio and my area rely on the parents way to much to make things work.  Maybe it's like that in other places too, but it has fundamentally changed to a large degree over the years.

Our 15 year old cat is in kidney failure.  My wife is an absolute wreck and we are likely going to cancel our trip to Buffalo for Thanksgiving to care for him.  We kept him at the vet for 48 hours on an IV and brought him home yesterday after his blood chemistry numbers improved.  We need to change his diet and give him a daily SQ dose of fluids to hopefully keep him happy for an indefinite period.  My wife even being an NP couldn't bring herself to stick him with a needle this morning, but since I've worked with animals during my research career I had no problem doing it.  We'll see how it goes, cats can live months to years with this therapy on whatever remaining kidney function they have but when they crash like ours did it's indicative of 75% loss of function.  On top of all this we haven't told our kids yet that they probably won't be seeing their cousins next week.  That should be fun.

Some jackass driver on the highway threw something at my car Tuesday morning.  The guy initially almost ran me off the road by moving from the left lane into the right exactly as I was merging onto the road.  I flipped him off, which somehow warrants pulling up along side me and throwing something.  I tried to get his plate, but he staying behind me the rest of the way (we don't have front plates in NC).  Fortunately I only have a small nick on my roof, but it could have been much worse as he missed my windshield by less than a foot.

Dude was driving an escalade, so I really wanted to get that plate number.  Even if he was a drug dealer, he had plenty of money for me.

I'm scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. They discovered that my ligaments are stretched and torn, and my bones are starting to leave their intended positions, thus I'm literally getting screwed. And plated. The broken bone isn't really even an issue. 

For the first time in my life, and I realize it's probably worthy of an eye roll from most people, I won't be spending Thanksgiving with my family. I simply cannot get home. No way I'm flying with pressure and my leg down. Even the short hop to Detroit. 

I'm lucky enough that d4rk has said he'll take care of me, even if I can't get to Buffalo to spend turkey day with his family, who've graciously opened their doors to my drugged up, crippled a$$.

Also, I had no idea that a broken leg hurt this much. Holy crap, swelling. The ED put the splint on too tight and I almost lost my toes/nerves. I put that sucker down to try to crutch around and it's an incredible amount of pain. I can barely get through work and teaching without wondering if I will pass out. It's hard to get work done and I'm falling behind again, which just adds to the depression. 

I'm so done with this. 

Claude: I sympathize, having relatively recently gone through the whole cat thing. Really bad timing there to boot.

Josi: Ow. Not much else to say. Just hurts to think about.

Cerebral: I'm with XB, you messed something up :lol:

Now for mine: shoulder tear confirmed. Posterior labral tear and a superior extension with a SLAP tear. Oh, and there's a cyst in there to boot. I'm opting for the surgery, which carries a 4-6 month recovery timetable, and that's what really gets me. I was expecting a 3-4 month recovery, but the shoulder is worse than anticipated. Bleh.

Claude: I sympathize, having relatively recently gone through the whole cat thing. Really bad timing there to boot.

Now for mine: shoulder tear confirmed. Posterior labral tear and a superior extension with a SLAP tear. Oh, and there's a cyst in there to boot. I'm opting for the surgery, which carries a 4-6 month recovery timetable, and that's what really gets me. I was expecting a 3-4 month recovery, but the shoulder is worse than anticipated. Bleh.

Ugh, dude, I'm sorry. Hopefully it's closer to 4 months recovery in either case. 

Forgot to mention- the head of my department told me last night that he is retiring. I'm afraid it may be the beginning of the end of the illustration program. I am very seriously considering getting my MFA and going the full professor route. He hinted heavily to me that I should do that in order to keep the program going at RIT. But I know that politics and b.s. is going to make any of that easier said than done. 

So be the Evander Kane of message board posters and drop that 4-6 back down to 3. ;)

Some serious first-world problems here:

• Organization Announcement - Robinson. Someone accidentally copied the entire company (I work for a large company, 5-figure number of employees) on a mundane announcement, to which a hundred people Replied All that they shouldn't be on this distro. Email servers have been chugging all morning. Actually, I'm kind of amused by the whole thing; but PSA: use Bcc on anything that shouldn't be a discussion. It's the smart thing to do.
  • Double Lunch. I forgot that I had a "graduation" lunch for an internal class today and bought lunch ahead of time, which turned out to be "thanksgiving dinner". Then I went to the grad lunch and got another plate of the same thing. I suppose that's apropos though considering you never eat one plate of thanksgiving dinner.

Yeah, I know Robinson... and Nick, who sent out the original email (although it may have been an admin assistant).  That's in my area.  :blush:  Based on the number of replies I'm not surprised it went out to that wide of a distro, but until I read your post I didn't realize it was that widespread.  What a disaster.

In defense of Nick (or his assistant), the name of the distro list is kind of misleading.

(Yes, MattPie and I work for different parts of the same company.)

Edited by The Big Johnson

Condolences to all that have had losses recently.

Bio, 2016 HAS to be your year. Suck it up and get there. :) It has to be worth it. You'll be in #####in' Cowawado and can give us 1st hand updates on PR's personal implosion. :thumbsup:

My complaint: why the #### isn't this thread closed.

I sure hope you're right!  For now I'm just glad I don't have anything of my own to add to this thread this week.

Our 15 year old cat is in kidney failure.  My wife is an absolute wreck and we are likely going to cancel our trip to Buffalo for Thanksgiving to care for him.  We kept him at the vet for 48 hours on an IV and brought him home yesterday after his blood chemistry numbers improved.  We need to change his diet and give him a daily SQ dose of fluids to hopefully keep him happy for an indefinite period.  My wife even being an NP couldn't bring herself to stick him with a needle this morning, but since I've worked with animals during my research career I had no problem doing it.  We'll see how it goes, cats can live months to years with this therapy on whatever remaining kidney function they have but when they crash like ours did it's indicative of 75% loss of function.  On top of all this we haven't told our kids yet that they probably won't be seeing their cousins next week.  That should be fun.

:(  Good luck, man.

I'm scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. They discovered that my ligaments are stretched and torn, and my bones are starting to leave their intended positions, thus I'm literally getting screwed. And plated. The broken bone isn't really even an issue. 

For the first time in my life, and I realize it's probably worthy of an eye roll from most people, I won't be spending Thanksgiving with my family. I simply cannot get home. No way I'm flying with pressure and my leg down. Even the short hop to Detroit. 

I'm lucky enough that d4rk has said he'll take care of me, even if I can't get to Buffalo to spend turkey day with his family, who've graciously opened their doors to my drugged up, crippled a$$.

Also, I had no idea that a broken leg hurt this much. Holy crap, swelling. The ED put the splint on too tight and I almost lost my toes/nerves. I put that sucker down to try to crutch around and it's an incredible amount of pain. I can barely get through work and teaching without wondering if I will pass out. It's hard to get work done and I'm falling behind again, which just adds to the depression. 

I'm so done with this. 

OUCH, Jo... I know it's tough, but let d4rk and others take care of you while you need it, and just remember you'll heal faster if you do the right things (i.e. not overdoing it) during the early stages.  Hope your surgery goes well next week.

I've probably pimped them before, but seriously, get this stuff:

http://sorenomoreusa.com/cool-therapy-gel

It's really great for helping keep down injury-related inflammation.  I've used it after bashing my knee on ice, and my step mom used it a lot after her rotator cuff surgery last year because the doctor told her not to use heat.

Edited by biodork

My wife uses what I think is the same stuff under a different name (but the price and shape of the container are the same).

Speaking of which, she just got a new diagnosis- Rheumatitis or some such, which is related to rheumatoid arthritis but it's something different.  They want to put her on Humira.  All I can say is she's damned lucky that "in sickness and in health" clause was in the vows.

I'm so done with this. 

If you end up not being able to even get in a car, let me know, I'll have turkey, trimmings, veggies, pie etc delivered to your place in Rochester. If I find out that you went without on thanksgiving, I will block you both and habor that hatred and disappointment forever. 

If you end up not being able to even get in a car, let me know, I'll have turkey, trimmings, veggies, pie etc delivered to your place in Rochester. If I find out that you went without on thanksgiving, I will block you both and habor that hatred and disappointment forever. 

Good man.

I'm so done with this. 

Sorry to hear all of this, I hope all goes well.  A few years back after an auto accident I endured about 15 surgeries over the course of two years.  The pain/discomfort after all those different surgeries varied wildly but when I woke up after they had screwed my knee together with five screws is by far the most pain I've ever felt in my life.  They were able to remedy it fairly quickly by pushing painkillers through my IV, but man I don't wish that on anyone even for the few minutes that I felt it for.  I don't say this to scare you, but rather to advise you to perhaps bring it up beforehand with your surgeon and anesthesiologist.  Good luck with everything.

:lol:

Aww you're too kind :) 

Or he's secretly evil and taunting her.

Unless you're not....  :lol:

Sorry to hear all of this, I hope all goes well.  A few years back after an auto accident I endured about 15 surgeries over the course of two years.  The pain/discomfort after all those different surgeries varied wildly but when I woke up after they had screwed my knee together with five screws is by far the most pain I've ever felt in my life.  They were able to remedy it fairly quickly by pushing painkillers through my IV, but man I don't wish that on anyone even for the few minutes that I felt it for.  I don't say this to scare you, but rather to advise you to perhaps bring it up beforehand with your surgeon and anesthesiologist.  Good luck with everything.

Oh man I'm sorry you had to go through that. As annoying and painful as my little ordeal here has been, I keep reminding myself that it could always be so much worse. It's sort of a negative mantra, but it keeps things like self pity in check. Thank you. I'll definitely be asking them questions. All the medical personnel I've seen this week have been extremely nonchalant and routine about everything, which gives me hope that it won't be too terrible.

OUCH, Jo... I know it's tough, but let d4rk and others take care of you while you need it, and just remember you'll heal faster if you do the right things (i.e. not overdoing it) during the early stages.  Hope your surgery goes well next week.

This is easily the hardest thing. I'm so used to being the strong one, this is just driving me nuts. I volunteer at the horse rescue partially for the horses but honestly largely because the little old ladies who run it simply can't accomplish a lot of the heavy lifting and tougher tasks that I can. I feel awful that I can't be there. It will get better. Thank you. 

Claude, I am upset to hear of your situation with the furry family member. As hard as it is to recall, we went through a similar scenario. They bring so much to a family that they deserve the respect and love that you are giving. Keep at it and keep enjoying their company.

Josie, you've always seemed very level headed. I'm pretty sure you're the type that can gather her wits together and make it through this sort of thing without doing anything silly. Take it from a high octane/can't sit still type that has had several repairs, you can certainly do the time. Don't worry about the surgery either. Relaxation and breathing techniques helped me through most of the pain. Some help here and there from beers and whatnot. The narcotics are good for the worst of it. I'm not worried about you getting hooked. Level headeds rarely do.

2 complaints:  

(1)  Working way too much.  I haven't been able to follow all of your posts.  Many of which, I'm sure, are really good ones.  I'm barely able to watch part of the third period of tonight's game.

(2) This is pre-emptive, because I know Complaint Thursday is shut down for Thanksgiving, as it should be.  But my should-be wedding anniversary is coming up.  I have moved forward, but I never will move on.  So November 30.

2 complaints:  

(1)  Working way too much.  I haven't been able to follow all of your posts.  Many of which, I'm sure, are really good ones.  I'm barely able to watch part of the third period of tonight's game.

(2) This is pre-emptive, because I know Complaint Thursday is shut down for Thanksgiving, as it should be.  But my should-be wedding anniversary is coming up.  I have moved forward, but I never will move on.  So ###### November 30.

Thing$ that are awe$ome: billable hour$.