Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Same exact situation here. So we made a last second switch to leave early tomorrow morning and enjoy the day tomorrow.

Will be missing the draft.

I'll will actually get to see the draft because of this. Beer and getting TF out will be the same a day later, I just hope the fishing isn't blown up.

I bought a gas grill of respectable quality (or so I thought) 2 years ago.  I just noticed that the tray below the burners is completely rusted out and corroded.  I looked online for a replacement part and stumbled upon a user forum in which a bunch of people had the same complaint -- as well as a complaint that the manufacturer does not sell a replacement tray.  So I either have to get some kind of metal workshop to make one, or throw out the whole GD grill and get a new one.

And we grill about 5x per week during the summer.

I bought a gas grill of respectable quality (or so I thought) 2 years ago. I just noticed that the tray below the burners is completely rusted out and corroded. I looked online for a replacement part and stumbled upon a user forum in which a bunch of people had the same complaint -- as well as a complaint that the manufacturer does not sell a replacement tray. So I either have to get some kind of metal workshop to make one, or throw out the whole GD grill and get a new one.

Someone locally should be able to fab something up for you pretty cheap.

I know shrader will be with me on this one:  f*ck HR people.  Seriously.

Tuesday was my last day at my job, and I was supposed to be starting the new job on Monday next week.  I've been asking about needing a signed job offer for the new place, and yesterday my new boss said she understood (and shared) my concerns and thought the paperwork was almost finished, but copied someone else in HR who was supposed to help.  That person replied and said that HR is implementing a new system and hasn't even posted the job to which I need to "apply" yet, and even after they do, I need to "apply" and wait for them to contact me to complete the recruitment process, after which I will finally have a written offer of employment.  So basically there's NFW this will be done in time for me to start on Monday, and maybe not even next week at all.  The woman apologized and said my boss mentioned July 6th but she didn't know if it was definite.  WTF, lady... you didn't need to know if it was definite; you needed to finish all the GD paperwork ahead of time in case it was!!  I'm so angry.  Thank God my other job pays us monthly so my living expenses are fully covered for the next several weeks, but this is cutting into my next paycheck (which will be sorely needed with all the upcoming house and moving expenses), and until that position begins I am uninsured.   :censored:

Also:  my basement waterproofing system picked a spectacular time to stop working.

And I haven't been able to keep up on Sabres news since listening to the first round of the draft last Friday because I've been so busy slaving away on the house and trying to finish up at work.

I know shrader will be with me on this one: f*ck HR people. Seriously.

Tuesday was my last day at my job, and I was supposed to be starting the new job on Monday next week. I've been asking about needing a signed job offer for the new place, and yesterday my new boss said she understood (and shared) my concerns and thought the paperwork was almost finished, but copied someone else in HR who was supposed to help. That person replied and said that HR is implementing a new system and hasn't even posted the job to which I need to "apply" yet, and even after they do, I need to "apply" and wait for them to contact me to complete the recruitment process, after which I will finally have a written offer of employment. So basically there's NFW this will be done in time for me to start on Monday, and maybe not even next week at all. The woman apologized and said my boss mentioned July 6th but she didn't know if it was definite. WTF, lady... you didn't need to know if it was definite; you needed to finish all the GD paperwork ahead of time in case it was!! I'm so angry. Thank God my other job pays us monthly so my living expenses are fully covered for the next several weeks, but this is cutting into my next paycheck (which will be sorely needed with all the upcoming house and moving expenses), and until that position begins I am uninsured. :censored:

Also: my basement waterproofing system picked a spectacular time to stop working.

And I haven't been able to keep up on Sabres news since listening to the first round of the draft last Friday because I've been so busy slaving away on the house and trying to finish up at work.

Show up at work anyway and make them back pay you.

Show up at work anyway and make them back pay you.

I doubt they'd do it... I know here HR has given people a hard time for having recently terminated employees come back a day or two later to wrap up a few things because they are no longer official employees and they worry about liability issues, so I suspect they would not allow me to start early.  Ugh freaking idiotic bureaucracy... HR serves no purpose but to make simple tasks painful and difficult. 

Ahh, the reverse Costanza, a bold move.

:lol:

I doubt they'd do it... I know here HR has given people a hard time for having recently terminated employees come back a day or two later to wrap up a few things because they are no longer official employees and they worry about liability issues, so I suspect they would not allow me to start early. Ugh freaking idiotic bureaucracy... HR serves no purpose but to make simple tasks painful and difficult.

:lol:

Exert your dominance :p

I bought a gas grill of respectable quality (or so I thought) 2 years ago.  I just noticed that the tray below the burners is completely rusted out and corroded.  I looked online for a replacement part and stumbled upon a user forum in which a bunch of people had the same complaint -- as well as a complaint that the manufacturer does not sell a replacement tray.  So I either have to get some kind of metal workshop to make one, or throw out the whole GD grill and get a new one.

I'm going to suggest you just go out and buy yourself a Weber Genesis.  Not the Spirit model.  Genesis.  They aren't cheap, but they aren't grossly over priced either.  They are the only grill that I am aware of not priced in the stratosphere that simply don't rust.  I've had mine for over 13 years.  Use it year round.  Sits outside on my deck uncovered regardless of weather.  Still has all of the original parts.  Ignitor, burners, trays, etc.  They simply last.  Might cost you 3-4x what your respectable grill cost you, but it will also last as long or longer than any other appliance you own.

I know shrader will be with me on this one:  f*ck HR people.  Seriously.

Tuesday was my last day at my job, and I was supposed to be starting the new job on Monday next week.  I've been asking about needing a signed job offer for the new place, and yesterday my new boss said she understood (and shared) my concerns and thought the paperwork was almost finished, but copied someone else in HR who was supposed to help.  That person replied and said that HR is implementing a new system and hasn't even posted the job to which I need to "apply" yet, and even after they do, I need to "apply" and wait for them to contact me to complete the recruitment process, after which I will finally have a written offer of employment.  So basically there's NFW this will be done in time for me to start on Monday, and maybe not even next week at all.  The woman apologized and said my boss mentioned July 6th but she didn't know if it was definite.  WTF, lady... you didn't need to know if it was definite; you needed to finish all the GD paperwork ahead of time in case it was!!  I'm so angry.  Thank God my other job pays us monthly so my living expenses are fully covered for the next several weeks, but this is cutting into my next paycheck (which will be sorely needed with all the upcoming house and moving expenses), and until that position begins I am uninsured.   :censored:

A similar thing happened to me about 10 years ago - I applied for a contracted job with the state, got interviewed, and offered the job. I happily accepted. The contractor asked what day I could start - we agreed on a date and I was told it wouldn't be a problem. I then gave my current boss my 2+ week notice. Three days before I was supposed to start (and my second-to-last day at the current job), I left a voice mail for my new boss to go over some logistics. Ten minutes later, the contractor called me to say the job wasn't even officially approved yet, so I couldn't start until that happened. Given how this was the state of NY, I figured we'd pay off the national debt before that happened. I was livid and let the contractor know it - they gave me no indication there was any issue.

I was lucky enough that my wife's salary paid for everything (mortgage, food, etc.) while I job searched. As it turns out, the job was approved after another month and since I hadn't found another job yet (despite my efforts), I took it.

Edited by Buffalo Wings

Exert your dominance :P

I've always been more of a submissive type...  :ph34r:

A similar thing happened to me about 10 years ago - I applied for a contracted job with the state, got interviewed, and offered the job. I happily accepted. The contractor asked what day I could start - we agreed on a date and I was told it wouldn't be a problem. I then gave my current boss my 2+ week notice. Three days before I was supposed to start (and my second-to-last day at the current job), I left a voice mail for my new boss to go over some logistics. Ten minutes later, the contractor called me to say the job wasn't even officially approved yet, so I couldn't start until that happened. Given how this was the state of NY, I figured we'd pay off the national debt before that happened. I was livid and let the contractor know it - they gave me no indication there was any issue.

I was lucky enough that my wife's salary paid for everything (mortgage, food, etc.) while I job searched. As it turns out, the job was approved after another month and since I hadn't found another job yet (despite my efforts), I took it.

Eeesh.  Yeah this kind of thing is just unacceptable.  Bunch of pencil-pushers making life more difficult for the people actually doing the work.

I was given a previous worker's code at work today to try and fix something. Problem is I've never even heard of te language it's in, and he didn't bother to document a single thing; the variable names are all over the place too. This is not going well

I was given a previous worker's code at work today to try and fix something. Problem is I've never even heard of te language it's in, and he didn't bother to document a single thing; the variable names are all over the place too. This is not going well

How far away are you from a full tear down and rebuild?

How far away are you from a full tear down and rebuild?

The script is huge and every other program is coded in the same language so I can't do that. The problem is minor so our workers an circumnavigate it, but they do want it fixed to avoid issues.

Helping a friend through a breakup. 

It's so hard to know what to say. She's looking for answers and I probably don't have them. This friend is brilliantly smart- probably one of the smartest people I've ever known- "i know how you feel"s don't cut it. I want to make it better. 

It's so hard to know what to say. She's looking for answers and I probably don't have them. This friend is brilliantly smart- probably one of the smartest people I've ever known- "i know how you feel"s don't cut it. I want to make it better.

ben and jerrys milk and cookies ice cream? No words needed. Edited by drnkirishone

You can't make it better. Not right away, at least. Your friend knows that you want to be there for them, and that is helping. But time is going to be the real factor in healing.

You could go full cliche, romantic comedy. Ben and Jerry's and reality TV.

.... Or strip club!

Good luck

You cant.

She's not going to feel better today or tomorrow or next week, but one day she will wake up and realize she is okay and is better for having survived the breakup.  Just be there for her for now, that is all she needs.  Also hugs and nazi zombies will help. Also Forgetting Sarah Marshall will help.

Time heals all wounds. 

ps. don't let her get drunk and hit on chz 

Edited by LGR4GM