Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Wouldn't mattered ... the kid was a member of a militia group out of Tallahassee and could have gotten a weapon easily from them. So you're ok with an 18-year-old going into combat, but not being able to buy a weapon at home ?

"Militia Group"

There are better terms for it.

Wouldn't mattered ... the kid was a member of a militia group out of Tallahassee and could have gotten a weapon easily from them. So you're ok with an 18-year-old going into combat, but not being able to buy a weapon at home ? 

I love this constant excuse making and endless hypotheticals people trot out as an excuse for not trying. Cowardice.  

How about this? Don't loan your guns to people. That goes for militias too. Ain't no militia doing anything important enough to let people walk out the door with their guns keep em locked up or in your doomsday army play time circle-jerk compound or go to prison. 

I also love the endless deliberate misreading in order to take simple ideas and make them absurd.

Where did I say I don't want an 18 year old being able to buy a gun? If an 18 year old wants to buy Winchester Super 70 then let him. A Henry .22? Sure. Antique double-barrel that belonged to your great grandfather? Absolutely, come down to the gun store and we'll take care of transferring ownership to you. It might take a day or two, but you're an 18 year old American and you're not going to go on a colossal rampage with any of those pieces. 

Need a semi-automatic rifle and some hollow points to hunt bobcats (or whatever) on your family's ranch though? You're going to have to jump through a few more hoops friend.

I'm not proposing anything earth shattering here. I'm sick of all the quitters and do-nothingers. 

I love this constant excuse making and endless hypotheticals people trot out as an excuse for not trying. Cowardice.  

How about this? Don't loan your guns to people. That goes for militias too. Ain't no militia doing anything important enough to let people walk out the door with their guns keep em locked up or in your doomsday army play time circle-jerk compound or go to prison. 

I also love the endless deliberate misreading in order to take simple ideas and make them absurd.

Where did I say I don't want an 18 year old being able to buy a gun? If an 18 year old wants to buy Winchester Super 70 then let him. A Henry .22? Sure. Antique double-barrel that belonged to your great grandfather? Absolutely, come down to the gun store and we'll take care of transferring ownership to you. It might take a day or two, but you're an 18 year old American and you're not going to go on a colossal rampage with any of those pieces. 

Need a semi-automatic rifle and some hollow points to hunt bobcats (or whatever) on your family's ranch though? You're going to have to jump through a few more hoops friend.

I'm not proposing anything earth shattering here. I'm sick of all the quitters and do-nothingers. 

I hear ya, although I think this particular kid would have shot up the school with a couple of Glocks and a rifle or two. The body count doesn't matter; it's the fact he thought it ok to do something like that. 

No they won't. Ease of execution is a large driver of crime. Guns are the easiest way to hurt the most amount of people. You reduce the number of guns in the equation and you will inherently see a certain number of people simply walk away from whatever harm they intended to inflict.

I wonder if people's drug consumption has increased

https://news.vice.com/article/ungass-portugal-what-happened-after-decriminalization-drugs-weed-to-heroin

When Portugal decided to decriminalize in 2000, many skeptics assumed that the number of users would skyrocket. That did not happen. With some exceptions, including a marginal increase among adolescents, drug use has fallen over the past 15 years and now ebbs and flows within overall trends in Europe. Portuguese officials estimate that by the late 1990s roughly one percent of Portugal's population, around 100,000 people, were heroin users.

Today, "we estimate that we have 50,000, most of them under substitution treatment," said Goulã

I hear ya, although I think this particular kid would have shot up the school with a couple of Glocks and a rifle or two. The body count doesn't matter; it's the fact he thought it ok to do something like that. 

Oh, I think the body count matters to the people involved. This attitude is part of the problem.

Upthread: criminals and inspection: of course they're not going to. It will slow down the rate at which legal guns "disappear" to become illegal guns. If you can't produce your gun, you better have a paper trail to document where it went. There's not going to be some magic solution that solves everything. There are going to be a bunch of little things that help. Similar to Mork's suggestion that there are classes of guns that an 18 year old can't buy; it's not going to stop things, just make it harder.

Oh, I think the body count matters to the people involved. This attitude is part of the problem.

Upthread: criminals and inspection: of course they're not going to. It will slow down the rate at which legal guns "disappear" to become illegal guns. If you can't produce your gun, you better have a paper trail to document where it went. There's not going to be some magic solution that solves everything. There are going to be a bunch of little things that help. Similar to Mork's suggestion that there are classes of guns that an 18 year old can't buy; it's not going to stop things, just make it harder.

The comment about body count was that it could've been high with any collection of weapons. I personally don't think anyone needs an assault weapon with the exception of law enforcement. My point is that banning assault weapons is only one piece of the puzzle. There is something seriously wrong mentally with a person willing to kill multiple people at a school and as a result, end his own as well. Put these folks on law enforcement's radar and have LE do their job.

We were in Rochester this past weekend for the Rochester Presidential Power Play hockey tourney at Bill Gray's Regional Iceplex. Pretty much our entire association was there - six teams, 70+ players - and most staying at he same hotel in Brighton. A stomach bug tore through our hotel - my wife got it while we were there, my son and I both started showing signs of it Sunday to Monday, and Monday night, after getting back to Ohio, he and I both got sick.

Two days of running to the bathroom, kid had to go to Express Care because he wouldn't stop vomiting and was in danger of dehydration (Zofran finally stopped that) and I had to go to Express Care yesterday to get a doctor's note for work. Still nauseous, still afraid to put anything solid on our stomachs.

So we put it out on Facebook and find out that a bunch of kids throughout our association - who were at the tourney - are all sick. Association ends up cancelling practices and sending out emails telling parents to keep kids home if sick. All with playoffs starting this weekend.

Just a long, ugly, painful weekend/week.

Knuckle dragging construction workers. It’s bad enough that all of us are judged by morons like you, but do you really have to be stupid 24/7?

This one plumber was eyeballing me all day. I’m wondering what in the hell is this dummy looking at? Eventually I need to work in the area over his ditch. The ditch I let him dig in my area that I let him into.

The ditch is uninhabited so as “you guys done in there?”

Dude puffs up and gives me his best Clint Eastwood impresssion, “IIIIIIIII’m going in there.”

I respond with a simple “OK”.

“What the is that supposed to mean?” he flies back with.

“Uhhhhhhhmmmmm. It’s a word. It has two letters. O followed by K.”

Dude retorts “Don’t be a dick!”

Ok dude. I’ll back charge your boss for my down time, pull my equipment off that spot so now you’ll have to find your own power source and whenever any of your knuckle dragging cohorts want to use MY crane the answer is automatic.

“No way.”

I know you learned your lesson because I saw the hoopla when your boss got the backcharge ticket.

I told you I wasn’t going to argue with you, dude.

It’s my policy. If the backs of your gloves show more wear than the palms, I’m not going to waste my breath on you. I would spend more time explaining what I mean than conveying my message.

Good luck, dummy.

Pissed off my shoulder. Pretty sure it's the AC Joint. First time actually injuring a shoulder, and no, I didn't hurt it in the pursuit of some amazing aerial artistry. Nope.. I did it by moving our giant sh!tty old ladder to rig. Thought it was a bruise at first- top of the shoulder by where the clavicle comes in. Then tried to do some basic movements. yeah.. it's mad. It's real mad. Had to spend the rest of the night working on it, lifting people, demoing moves, more rigging, etc... ugh. 

And I have my first paid public performance in a month. I need to be training my fat ass off, not "resting it".

I hate getting old. And before y'all go "hey young millennial whippersnapper shush it", I am old for what I'm doing. Most are 16-25 years old. But us instructors are 30-35 and always have a "bad shoulder" or "problem joints", despite being so much more careful/stronger than the younger aerialists. Guess I've got mine now.  

oh, and the rest of my life is still mostly going nowhere. 

Josie,

The rest of your life is not going nowhere.

You have a loving *husband*. That counts for a lot.

*Future* husband. We are broke millennials after all :lol:

I'm doing my best to be supportive. I want to buy a house soon so she has more room to ply her craft. It's a need at this point.

Josie,

The rest of your life is not going nowhere.

You have a loving *husband*.  That counts for a lot.

I've come to believe that most people have 3 things they're striving for.

1- A fulfilling career

2- Comfortable finances

3- A loving/understanding/stable relationship

I've never had all three at the same time, I doubt most people ever do. But I'm half on 1 and full on 3, so it ain't so bad. I used to have 2... that's very much gone and makes 1 feel worse. 

*Future* husband. We are broke millennials after all :lol:

I'm doing my best to be supportive. I want to buy a house soon so she has more room to ply her craft. It's a need at this point.

and I feel guilty as all hell that I can't contribute more. I USED to be the bread winner of the two of us! haha 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

I've come to believe that most people have 3 things they're striving for.

1- A fulfilling career

2- Comfortable finances

3- A loving/understanding/stable relationship

I've never had all three at the same time, I doubt most people ever do. But I'm half on 1 and full on 3, so it ain't so bad. I used to have 2... that's very much gone and makes 1 feel worse. 

and I feel guilty as all hell that I can't contribute more. I USED to be the bread winner of the two of us! haha 

I like your list. Personally, for me, I'm striving for new experiences. New places, new people, new events. Just wanna experience as much as I can before I go

I like your list. Personally, for me, I'm striving for new experiences. New places, new people, new events. Just wanna experience as much as I can before I go

I think experiences come with the comfortable finances for me. I am wracked with guilt over the fact I'm going to my friend's bachelorette party in Nashville this April and it's going to cost me money. I haven't done anything for myself in a long time, everyone says Go Do it It's an Experience You Won't Regret It 

I want nothing more than to travel again. But even on a budget, it costs money and time that I cannot afford. I was lucky to travel a lot for most of my life, and now I know what I'm missing. Maybe it could be a number 4, but without 2, I couldn't do it. My 3 are otherwise pretty independent. 

I think experiences come with the comfortable finances for me. I am wracked with guilt over the fact I'm going to my friend's bachelorette party in Nashville this April and it's going to cost me money. I haven't done anything for myself in a long time, everyone says Go Do it It's an Experience You Won't Regret It 

I want nothing more than to travel again. But even on a budget, it costs money and time that I cannot afford. I was lucky to travel a lot for most of my life, and now I know what I'm missing. Maybe it could be a number 4, but without 2, I couldn't do it. My 3 are otherwise pretty independent. 

True, you bring up a good point. I'm fortunate enough to have little/no responsibilities or constraints, so really all I have to worry about is which/how many trips I get to take every year. So far I have Boston 2X, NYC, a couple festivals, and some other ideas in the works. Really trying to go to new cities this year. Granted, I don't have 1 and 3 on your list :lol: Well, maybe 1, depends on the day

I've always wanted to go to Nashville. My brother and his buddies went, I've heard there's really no other place like it. You probably don't wanna hear it again, but if you can I'd really find a way to go. 

True, you bring up a good point. I'm fortunate enough to have little/no responsibilities or constraints, so really all I have to worry about is which/how many trips I get to take every year. So far I have Boston 2X, NYC, a couple festivals, and some other ideas in the works. Really trying to go to new cities this year. Granted, I don't have 1 and 3 on your list :lol: Well, maybe 1, depends on the day

I've always wanted to go to Nashville. My brother and his buddies went, I've heard there's really no other place like it. You probably don't wanna hear it again, but if you can I'd really find a way to go. 

Nashville is really one of those places that is a great place for adults, as long as you have a minimal interest in music and nightlife.

We were surprised how much fun you could have without really spending a whole lot. Most of the bars have great music that you can just walk in to and listen, and the drinks aren't really so crazy that you're spending a fortune each night. I would definitely recommend (as long as you can deal with the thousands of bachelorette party groups that are like a band of sorority woo-girls :sick:)

Welp. 3 went right to hell, took 2 with it, and it’s going to mean I have to give up 1 so I can get 2 back. No time to worry about 3 going forward any time soon...

I'm sorry to hear that. I really do wish you the best. 

---

Maybe I should add 4- Health. Here in the US, 2 can definitely affect it, but generally I think it's independent.

And a clarification to how I see 3- not necessarily romantic relationships. A stable, understanding, loving relationship that fulfills you can be familial, or a friend, etc. especially if you're not interested in a significant other situation. Family to fall back on, a few friends who can bail you out in a tight spot, those are just as important if not more than a lover/spouse/etc. But not for all. 

Nashville is really one of those places that is a great place for adults, as long as you have a minimal interest in music and nightlife.

We were surprised how much fun you could have without really spending a whole lot. Most of the bars have great music that you can just walk in to and listen, and the drinks aren't really so crazy that you're spending a fortune each night. I would definitely recommend (as long as you can deal with the thousands of bachelorette party groups that are like a band of sorority woo-girls :sick:)

haha yeah our group is very non woo-girl. Mostly nerdy, none of us are really show stoppers, expecting to kinda just enjoy whatever we want to without too much hassle. I'll stick to beer, I'm driving and bringing pbj for most of my meals.

I dig all music, including country, so I'm looking forward to it. They just sprung a very pricey accommodation fee on me at the last minute and I'm scrambling to pull bucks together for it (bride has offered to pay my part but I feel evil saying yes to that).