Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I'd like to complain about the overuse of exclamation points in contemporary society.  Here is a flow chart to help you decide whether or not an exclamation mark is appropriate:   http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/53/file-2378784241-jpg/Workflow2_b.jpg?t=1446741080537&__hstc=20629287.a7067841e4d4e05d07648d94349c8f9b.1446741162975.1446741162975.1446741162975.1&__hssc=20629287.1.1446741162975&__hsfp=2390787975

From now on, I will refer to you as Jake Jarmel.

And why do so many good businesses go out of business?!

To follow the path of logic that has been going on without doing any research I would posit that good customer service is costly/expensive and that most customers are more concerned with price so they ignore quality of service and keep giving business to the places that provide crappy service yet manage to provide their goods or services at a lower cost point.

Thank goodness there are exceptions.

I agree. On some things I'm willing to pay a little more when I know I'm supporting a business that provides good customer service but I don't make enough money to do that in every situation. There's also the businesses (utilities, tv, internet, etc.) where there is no competition and your choice is to either go with the crappy customer service or go without the service.

There's a really cool example locally. They're a BBQ place, which was kind of a dime-a-dozen kind of restaurant around here.  Burgers and hawt cuisine have kind of pushed the BBQ guys into the background.  But this guy who was working as a security guard and his wife who worked as a nurse's aid decided to take all the money they had in the world (a few thousand bucks) and buy a BBQ smoker and a food trailer.  They source their beef locally and set up in the parking lot of a local bar.  They started out just working weekends, smoking a bunch of BBQ and serving it the next day starting late morning until it was gone.  Word of mouth spread their reputation.  They did a kickstarter and raised enough money to buy a large steel tank which they're having made into a smoker.  While all this was going on, one of the local car dealer families who happens to be diversifying into retail and restaurants decided to have them cater a bridal shower and while they were talking, they decided to offer the BBQers one of their retail fronts for a below-market-value price in a very trendy area.  To tie it into this thread:  my complaint is that their brick-and-mortar store isn't open yet; they won't open until the spring.

There's a really cool example locally. They're a BBQ place, which was kind of a dime-a-dozen kind of restaurant around here.  Burgers and hawt cuisine have kind of pushed the BBQ guys into the background.  But this guy who was working as a security guard and his wife who worked as a nurse's aid decided to take all the money they had in the world (a few thousand bucks) and buy a BBQ smoker and a food trailer.  They source their beef locally and set up in the parking lot of a local bar.  They started out just working weekends, smoking a bunch of BBQ and serving it the next day starting late morning until it was gone.  Word of mouth spread their reputation.  They did a kickstarter and raised enough money to buy a large steel tank which they're having made into a smoker.  While all this was going on, one of the local car dealer families who happens to be diversifying into retail and restaurants decided to have them cater a bridal shower and while they were talking, they decided to offer the BBQers one of their retail fronts for a below-market-value price in a very trendy area.  To tie it into this thread:  my complaint is that their brick-and-mortar store isn't open yet; they won't open until the spring.

I love hearing stories like this. Community. 

About 3 weeks ago an approximately 8-month-old kitten followed my wife and children home from the YMCA. She stayed on our porch for 3 nights without us feeding her or letting her inside, hoping she would return to her family. Finally, we took her to a local vet to check for a microchip, none found. We had the local Humane Society post her picture on their page, and after a week, they said she was ours. We had officially been adopted by a kitten.

I was hesitant at first, worried about how she'd do around the kids, especially Ollie. She was perfect. They were so gentle and kind, and she was very playful with them. 

I finally started warming up to the idea of having a cat again, and went out and bought all the needed supplies. Just a great cat. She spent the second week she was with us sleeping nicely near me, serenading me with he purr. In the mornings she started following our oldest son out to the bus stop to see him off to school. I am absolutely in love with this little interloper.

On Monday she followed him out, and she hasn't been back since.

:(

My dad is still suffering pretty badly from the aftereffects of his radiation treatment.  His last one was Oct. 20th, and we thought he'd be improving by now.  He's also losing weight because he can't / won't eat since it's painful and he's feeling nauseous a lot of the time, which doesn't help recovery.

My stepmom, who is the only one able to work right now, lost her job yesterday when Highmark laid off her entire department after outsourcing their jobs to India "to remain competitve in the marketplace."  She hated the job and they knew this might be coming, but the timing is terrible.  Thank God she's supposed to get a severance package that *should* include 7 months pay and the ability to keep their insurance for now.  

Good stuff, sounds very similar to the Franklin BBQ story in Austin.

My dad is still suffering pretty badly from the aftereffects of his radiation treatment.  His last one was Oct. 20th, and we thought he'd be improving by now.  He's also losing weight because he can't / won't eat since it's painful and he's feeling nauseous a lot of the time, which doesn't help recovery.

My stepmom, who is the only one able to work right now, lost her job yesterday when Highmark laid off her entire department after outsourcing their jobs to India "to remain competitve in the marketplace."  She hated the job and they knew this might be coming, but the timing is terrible.  Thank God she's supposed to get a severance package that *should* include 7 months pay and the ability to keep their insurance for now.  

Oh that's just awful.  I hope things get better for them soon.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Bio...it makes it hard to reconcile a situation like this with actors, athletes, CEOs, etc. making millions.  Sometimes capitalism just sucks.  :cry:

Late last week, my grandmother (Dad's mom) went down to Florida with her friend and my Aunt so they could all retrieve some items that had been left behind at an apartment there and bring them back to their home in NY.  My dad felt guilty about not being able to go help them, but he was in no condition physically or financially to make the trip from Delaware.  On Thurs. evening she mentioned pain in her abdomen and wanted to lie down with a heating pad.  Friday morning she was feeling worse, so they took her to get checked out and found she had a kidney stone.  They checked her into the hospital and she had surgery to remove the stone, and apparently there was a MAJOR infection in her kidneys behind the stone.  Over the weekend it seemed like she was stabilizing, but by Sun. her kidneys still hadn't been working so they were talking about doing dialysis.  Hadn't heard any updates on Monday, so seemed like things were still stable.

On Tuesday morning, 10 min. before I was supposed to go into a conference call at work, my dad texted to say she was septic, her organs were failing, and they were going to take her off the ventilator soon.  I begged off the call so I could call and say goodbye to her over the phone, and he'd called earlier to do the same.  Within 2 hours, she was gone.

2015 can f*ck off.

Our poor little cat Doodle Bugs passed away early Saturday morning. My wife and I are absolutely heartbroken. He was 16 and had been sick and not himself for a month. We were feeding him baby food, giving him amoxicillin and sponge baths as he quit grooming. We were hopeful. I had a very vivid dream that morning that woke me up. He was with me and chattering and squeaking away like he had before the illness. When I looked at him he was plump and fluffy and grooming himself like he used to. I woke up confused and half expected to find him well. I did not. I felt as though I was burying my child. We have two others. A young fat one called Buttsqueaks and Doodles' brother Poopie. Buttsqueaks doesn't understand as he was trying to play with him when I had him covered in a blanket. Poopie knows though. Those two had 16 years together and slept in a pile most of the time. He is lost. I worry about him. My house is a very sad place to be right now.

Late last week, my grandmother (Dad's mom) went down to Florida with her friend and my Aunt so they could all retrieve some items that had been left behind at an apartment there and bring them back to their home in NY.  My dad felt guilty about not being able to go help them, but he was in no condition physically or financially to make the trip from Delaware.  On Thurs. evening she mentioned pain in her abdomen and wanted to lie down with a heating pad.  Friday morning she was feeling worse, so they took her to get checked out and found she had a kidney stone.  They checked her into the hospital and she had surgery to remove the stone, and apparently there was a MAJOR infection in her kidneys behind the stone.  Over the weekend it seemed like she was stabilizing, but by Sun. her kidneys still hadn't been working so they were talking about doing dialysis.  Hadn't heard any updates on Monday, so seemed like things were still stable.

On Tuesday morning, 10 min. before I was supposed to go into a conference call at work, my dad texted to say she was septic, her organs were failing, and they were going to take her off the ventilator soon.  I begged off the call so I could call and say goodbye to her over the phone, and he'd called earlier to do the same.  Within 2 hours, she was gone.

2015 can f*ck off.

Wow, my condolences.  I too, had a similar death to a close family member in June.  It's so much worse when it's unexpected and there's no time for a proper last visit.

Our poor little cat Doodle Bugs passed away early Saturday morning. My wife and I are absolutely heartbroken. He was 16 and had been sick and not himself for a month. We were feeding him baby food, giving him amoxicillin and sponge baths as he quit grooming. We were hopeful. I had a very vivid dream that morning that woke me up. He was with me and chattering and squeaking away like he had before the illness. When I looked at him he was plump and fluffy and grooming himself like he used to. I woke up confused and half expected to find him well. I did not. I felt as though I was burying my child. We have two others. A young fat one called Buttsqueaks and Doodles' brother Poopie. Buttsqueaks doesn't understand as he was trying to play with him when I had him covered in a blanket. Poopie knows though. Those two had 16 years together and slept in a pile most of the time. He is lost. I worry about him. My house is a very sad place to be right now.

My condolences here as well.  I lost a beloved cat in July and our household was affected for several weeks afterward.  It's tough on the remaining cats and painful to observe their pain and confusion over the loss.

Thanks, folks.  She was 93 so she lived a long and full life, at least, but the manner of her passing was so sudden and unexpected, and I feel terrible that my dad wasn't able to see her again.  He hadn't seen her since June or July (before his surgery) because they hadn't wanted to concern her with his health problems since she had dementia and was getting more and more confused.  At least now they don't have to watch her slow mental decline.

EO - my condolences to you as well for the family member you lost in June.

And iTlnSn, so sorry to hear about your cat.   :(

Edited by biodork

Well, this thread is more depressing than usual today.

My complaint: torn labrum. Dislocated my shoulder Labor Day weekend, thought it was going to be okay because it improved a lot, but ultimately the progression just plateaued. Went to an ortho on Tuesday and he diagnosed, and did everything short of flat-out telling me to get the surgery done. Had an MRI to see the extent of the damage and make sure it's limited to the labrum, but barring surprising results, I'm looking at 3 months of hell. Just in time for winter! Which of course means I'm about to spend a bunch of money to pay someone to clear my driveway.

Snapped my leg playing hockey Tuesday night. That makes 3 injuries in the last three games I've played in that stupid league. Caught an edge 3 seconds into my first shift and my ankle went one way and I came down full weight on top of it. Waited an hour for the game to end so someone could take me to the hospital. Spiral fracture, right leg, fibula. 

No hockey for a year. No aerial arts for a year. I can't volunteer anymore. I went from 180 mph, feeling strong and finally physically capable to barely able to get around my goddamn apartment. I can't drive for 6-8 weeks. I'm in everyone's way now. They put me on percocet, which freaks me out. I'm trying not to take them but the stupid thing really hurts now.

There are good things, lots of people coming out of the woodwork, well wishers, a bit more sleep I badly needed. My dad and mom are finding ways to split time and come up and help ferry my crippled ass around. I just feel so guilty. 

Not that I need a job, but, I'd like a change of scenery, for lack of a better or more efficient way of putting it.  Seems, though, I either suck, have no idea what I'm doing, am out of touch, or killed my career by working for myself.  I can't get any action on about two-dozen resumes sent over the past several months.  WTF.  I wish we would have moved to Nashville...

Getting caught up on several weeks of complaints. I am sorry for all who have lost human and furry family members and for those in pain.

So my complaint is pretty chinsy. I hate it when people call, don't get an answer and have to leave the old "just called to say hi" voice mail. I have to go through that whole rigamarole of getting the voice mail. Just "hang up." Don't leave a useless voice mail.

Well, this thread is more depressing than usual today.

My complaint: torn labrum. Dislocated my shoulder Labor Day weekend, thought it was going to be okay because it improved a lot, but ultimately the progression just plateaued. Went to an ortho on Tuesday and he diagnosed, and did everything short of flat-out telling me to get the surgery done. Had an MRI to see the extent of the damage and make sure it's limited to the labrum, but barring surprising results, I'm looking at 3 months of hell. Just in time for winter! Which of course means I'm about to spend a bunch of money to pay someone to clear my driveway.

Snapped my leg playing hockey Tuesday night. That makes 3 injuries in the last three games I've played in that stupid league. Caught an edge 3 seconds into my first shift and my ankle went one way and I came down full weight on top of it. Waited an hour for the game to end so someone could take me to the hospital. Spiral fracture, right leg, fibula. 

No hockey for a year. No aerial arts for a year. I can't volunteer anymore. I went from 180 mph, feeling strong and finally physically capable to barely able to get around my goddamn apartment. I can't drive for 6-8 weeks. I'm in everyone's way now. They put me on percocet, which freaks me out. I'm trying not to take them but the stupid thing really hurts now.

There are good things, lots of people coming out of the woodwork, well wishers, a bit more sleep I badly needed. My dad and mom are finding ways to split time and come up and help ferry my crippled ass around. I just feel so guilty. 

Geez, guys -- too many people getting injured!

Sorry about the injuries Jo and Blue.  They both sound painful to say the least.  Hopefully it gets better sooner than expected for both of you!

Not that I need a job, but, I'd like a change of scenery, for lack of a better or more efficient way of putting it.  Seems, though, I either suck, have no idea what I'm doing, am out of touch, or killed my career by working for myself.  I can't get any action on about two-dozen resumes sent over the past several months.  WTF.  I wish we would have moved to Nashville...

My sympathy here.  I've thought about a job change at times, but between the horror stories I hear on Sabrespace and from people I know, it sounds like hell.  I unfortunately have no advice to give, just my sympathy.  Maybe a resume expert or professional job placement person (someone with connections to the industry you're looking to join) is worth the time and money to consult with?  I can't remember the last time I heard a good, positive job search story.  It's as rare as hearing about a good car shopping experience or DMV visit.

My company has fired around 15 people almost all in management, accounting.    Think they'll start in our operational departments as well to claming its for budget cuts.

lost around 40 % of our volume in cargo this month with two customers leaving, wich happens alot but always others who come back.  Thing is this won't help short term because they have to pay this people the wages of 2 years because they were with the company 25+ years.   

We've been on sale for 3 years now , This smells more like restructering the company for new owners.   On the bright side it seems they are firing people who made me think: WTF are they still doing here ?

Edited by Huckleberry