Free Agency Frenzy

Corp000085

Good post. All of these things have crossed my mind today, which is why I am frustrated with the lack of movement, news, anything from the Sabres. I think there were players that could have been had today, for reasonable prices. Streit, Commodore, Zidlicky in a trade--all could have helped our defense, and two could have QBed the PP. I think Hainsey is the best guy left, and I know I'm going to see his name come off the list tomorrow to some rival city.

Going off of something I said earlier, to me it's really a clash of mindsets:

1) People who rip management no matter what. You can basically dismiss anything coming from them.

2) Those who feel one or two little tweaks will fix the team and help us get back to the playoffs.

3) People who think this team sleepwalked through most of last season and needs a serious jolt, or "splash" if you will.

I'm in category #3, so obviously I'm not gonna be happy with Lalime and a Numminen resigning as our only moves. It's early, but already I'm thinking ahead if those are the only moves we make, what exactly can you expect from this team? Another season watching 16 other teams compete for the cup in the spring.

Good post. I find myself in category #3 as well. A couple bold moves in FA might have made a big difference, but there is still time to pick up some decent players and move some of our dead weight through trades (crossing fingers.)

What I really don't want to see is us carrying essentially the same roster into next season, with nothing new but a few cosmetic and superficial changes.

It seems like we are putting all of our eggs in the Sekera basket as our puck moving D-man. I think Streit's 5 for 20 was a reasonable deal that Buffalo should have jumped over. Its just my opinion.

that sounds about right (Sekera is our poor mans Soupy) and I think we are all happy about that. The last month of the season showed the ability. I am sure we will get away with this stategy for a few more years; especially if Brennan or another kid move up behind Sekera.

Good post. All of these things have crossed my mind today, which is why I am frustrated with the lack of movement, news, anything from the Sabres. I think there were players that could have been had today, for reasonable prices. Streit, Commodore, Zidlicky in a trade--all could have helped our defense, and two could have QBed the PP. I think Hainsey is the best guy left, and I know I'm going to see his name come off the list tomorrow to some rival city.

Going off of something I said earlier, to me it's really a clash of mindsets:

1) People who rip management no matter what. You can basically dismiss anything coming from them.

2) Those who feel one or two little not insignificant tweaks will fix the team and help us get back to the playoffs.

3) People who think this team sleepwalked through most of last season and needs a serious jolt, or "splash" if you will.

I'm in category #3, so obviously I'm not gonna be happy with Lalime and a Numminen resigning as our only moves. It's early, but already I'm thinking ahead if those are the only moves we make, what exactly can you expect from this team? Another season watching 16 other teams compete for the cup in the spring.

Good post. I find myself in category #3 as well. A couple bold moves in FA might have made a big difference, but there is still time to pick up some decent players and move some of our dead weight through trades (crossing fingers.)

What I really don't want to see is us carrying essentially the same roster into next season, with nothing new but a few cosmetic and superficial changes.

that was a very fine post, goodfella. as modified above, i'm in the #2 category.

i agree with wolf decrying the possibility that we could have the same roster, with cosmetic/superficial changes -- and while it's open to debate as to where exactly "it" is, i think there's a sweet spot to be hit between (1) the futility that comes from meaningless tinkering and (2) the over-spending and over-reaching that comes with giving a jolt/making a splash.

my hope is that they can get their veteran d-man in the fa markets (e.g., smith) and then unload a forward (or two), together with propsects/picks, in order to fill our needs in the forward ranks.

Does anyone else remember when Draft Day and the Start of Free Agency were happy days full of excitement and anticipation. I guess it still is for other teams.

The Sabres go the entire day and make one meaningless move and end up overpaying for a garbage backup goaltender. They should have kept T-Bo around. At least they could have saved a few bucks since T-Bo already has the uniform and the locker sign.

I have to wonder. How many players/agents did the Sabres actually make contact with. I then wonder how many told the Sabres "Thanks, but no thanks." There were many players signed today at every position that could have helped the Sabres and were not overpriced.

I am going to guess :

Teppo resigns.

Max plays the season with the Sabres, disappoints, and is allowed to leave next summer.

The Sabres count on Tim Connolly again and are shocked when he plays the same amount of games as Bob Corkum, oops, I meant Lalime.

If you throw in Peters wasted $500 grand that is $7 million of dead cap space. That's inexcusable, take that $7 mil and see how many players that signed today that could actually have contributed to the Sabres this season.

I think you are doing your 180 degree flip again, I'm starting to agree with you more. Hell must be getting mighty cold right now

The only thing I don't agree with is the Peters comment, I'm not going to rag on a guy who is amking the veteran minimum to skate onto the ice and be a punching bag for his team. For what he makes, you aren't going to find many other options. Since they have to have a minimum amount of players and they all have to fit under the cap, I can live with a guy like him making pretty much the minimum if that means they can spend just a little bit more money on someone better.

I think you are doing your 180 degree flip again, I'm starting to agree with you more. Hell must be getting mighty cold right now

The only thing I don't agree with is the Peters comment, I'm not going to rag on a guy who is amking the veteran minimum to skate onto the ice and be a punching bag for his team. For what he makes, you aren't going to find many other options. Since they have to have a minimum amount of players and they all have to fit under the cap, I can live with a guy like him making pretty much the minimum if that means they can spend just a little bit more money on someone better.

Peters offers nothing to the team. I would much rather pay another player that can offer anything a little more money. Peters is dead cap space.

Peters offers nothing to the team. I would much rather pay another player that can offer anything a little more money. Peters is dead cap space.

Now remind me again what exactly dead cap space means when you're over $10 million south of the ceiling? Hell, he is essentially being paid in pennies. His contract does not cause any problems. As for the roster spot, he's not keeping anyone of value down in Portland either. In fact, having him sit in the press box is cheaper than having one of the prospects sit up there. At least this way they get their playing time in the A.

Now remind me again what exactly dead cap space means when you're over $10 million south of the ceiling? Hell, he is essentially being paid in pennies. His contract does not cause any problems. As for the roster spot, he's not keeping anyone of value down in Portland either. In fact, having him sit in the press box is cheaper than having one of the prospects sit up there. At least this way they get their playing time in the A.

It's money spent on players that do nothing for the Sabres chance of winning. The Sabres can sign Michael Ryan for less and at least Ryan can offer some type of hockey skill and contribute something. It's simply money spent and wasted. Max at $3.5 and Connolly at $3.0 are the most frustrating examples.

It's money spent on players that do nothing for the Sabres chance of winning. The Sabres can sign Michael Ryan for less and at least Ryan can offer some type of hockey skill and contribute something. It's simply money spent and wasted. Max at $3.5 and Connolly at $3.0 are the most frustrating examples.

So you'll throw them in the same sentence as Peters. Brilliant.

who is out there that will sign for $500,00-750,000 that would be such a better choice, and not have a problem with spending most games in the press box?

He is a filler piece with a limited role, who takes up minimum cap space. He is far from causing the team to be in any trouble player wise or financially

So you'll throw them in the same sentence as Peters. Brilliant.

I'm sorry to say I have to agree with Deluca here. All 3 represent poor financial investments. Peters is as equally sucky an enforcer as Max is as a complete hockey player and Timmy is as a healthy hockey player. All three give little to no return for the buck.

I'm sorry to say I have to agree with Deluca here. All 3 represent poor financial investments. Peters is as equally sucky an enforcer as Max is as a complete hockey player and Timmy is as a healthy hockey player. All three give little to no return for the buck.

I'm indifferent about Peters.

Connolly so far has been a washout, and IMHO the biggest on-ice disappointment of the past 2 years. I'll be surprised and disappointed if we go into October without picking up another center, since that will mean that we are counting on Connolly to stay healthy, which would be foolish.

In the 2 years since Max signed his contract, he's had one good year and one lousy year -- and his lousy year coincided with about 90% of the team having a lousy year. I think Max deserves the criticism he's received, but he's also been a bit of a lightning rod. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he had a big bounce-back year.

With a payroll in our range, the Peters deal is completely insignificant.

Wouldhave, couldhave and shouldhave.

Peters would have stood up for his teammate if he were good enough to dress.

Timmy could have made the PP top 10 if he weren't hurt.

Max should have scored 30 goals last season if he could finish and keep his teammates onside.

I don't dislike any one of them. Just frustrating as hell that year after year we have to put up with the same story.

Max should have scored 30 goals last season if he could finish and keep his teammates onside.

I don't dislike any one of them. Just frustrating as hell that year after year we have to put up with the same story.

The question of choice for Timmmaaayyyy should be what is the injury of choice this yr??? Anyone care to start the timmaayyyyy pool?

I look at this as if they were all people I work with.

Peters is that guy who got the job because he's buddies with the boss. He's a liability and spends most of his time watching other people work, but is here because he's a nice guy and his boss feels bad for him.

Timmy is that guy who always gets hurt at work and the company would like to get rid of him but they can't fire him for injuries sustained on the job site. He also happens to be really good at his job when he isn't at home recovering from his latest injury.

And Max is that guy who has been at the company for quite a few years, but still has problems showing up and tends to make clumsy mistakes. He probably should have been fired a long time ago but is still here for some unknown reason.

The question of choice for Timmmaaayyyy should be what is the injury of choice this yr??? Anyone care to start the timmaayyyyy pool?

Here's my entry--

Heading into the trade deadline weekend, he's missed only a couple games, has scored 25 goals and 65 assists and has the PP humming.

And once again, the Sabres FO finds itself in an uncomfortable position...

Here's my entry--

Heading into the trade deadline weekend, he's missed only a couple games, has scored 25 goals and 65 assists and has the PP humming.

And once again, the Sabres FO finds itself in an uncomfortable position...

90 points in late February?!? Approx. 60-65 games into the season?

I did say the PP was humming! Come on. Play along. This is Buffalo where the unimaginable (and the totally expected) often occurs.

The totally expected is the mid-November upper-body injury that knocks TC out of the lineup for 40 games (20 for the shoulder, then 20 more for the MRSA infection he gets while trying to rehab.

No offense, but TC having 90 points and leading a "humming" PP by the trade deadline belongs on the same list as "What Cool stuff I will buy when I win the Mega Millions jackpot."

Archived