Free Agency Frenzy

Corp000085

Hello all, and welcome to the 2008 Free Agency period. Just a reminder on posting topics

-1 topic per subject. If duplicates get posted, and hey it happens, they will be merged.

-Always provide a link

-If it's a rumor, please post "rumor" somewhere in the title and provide a link

-If something big happens with the Sabres, one of us will pin the thread to keep it at the top.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

I would also love to see a pinned thread to discuss the absolutely ridiculous contact Campbell is sure to sign tomorrow. I'm predicting upwards of $7 million per year, over a 5-year span. I don't think we'll have to worry about any Sabres moves but you never know!

I would also love to see a pinned thread to discuss the absolutely ridiculous contact Campbell is sure to sign tomorrow. I'm predicting upwards of $7 million per year, over a 5-year span. I don't think we'll have to worry about any Sabres moves but you never know!

Only if we get a pinned thread to discuss the inevitable Kalinin mega contract. :thumbsup:

He was our hardest hitting defenseman the past 10 yrs also....

Dont forget..

He does it all..

I am being sarcastic WOLF..lol :thumbsup:

He was our hardest hitting defenseman the past 10 yrs also....

Dont forget..

He does it all..

I am being sarcastic WOLF..lol :thumbsup:

I know it's a little off topic, but I watched the video again. I love Jeanneret's call but the OLN guy who says

"Brian Campbell absolutely polecocked RJ Umberger"

always makes me laugh.

Just goes to show that you don't need a traditionally tough d-man when the time comes to throw you're weight around. I know it helps, though.

After sleeping, I woke up feeling hopeful and unrealistic. Orpik's coming to Buffalo today...

Here are some tidbits from Larry Brooks of the NY Post. I find Brooks shrill, obnoxious, and completely unreliable, but these are still interesting:

The Post has been told that the Bruins are preparing to present the 29-year-old winger [Hossa] with an offer in the neighborhood of $100M over 12 years.

Redden, likely to be chased by San Jose if, as expected, Brian Campbell fails to re-up, is likely to command a five-year deal in the neighborhood of $30M. The Blueshirts have no interest in meeting Campbell's asking price of $7M per.

Orpik, the physical shut down defenseman the Rangers crave, had asked the Penguins for a six-year, $24M deal with a no-trade clause after rejecting Pittsburgh's five-year offer at $3.5M. The Rangers would likely be in for a deal in the four-year, $16M range.

Be prepared to be under-whelmed today.......

Followed by shrill complaining how everything got screwed up.......

Followed by some quiet deals that make the team better.........but not people the average fan has heard of.

Good post. I'll frankly be pretty surprised if this is not 100% accurate.

Be prepared to be under-whelmed today.......

Followed by shrill complaining how everything got screwed up.......

Followed by some quiet deals that make the team better.........but not people the average fan has heard of.

Yup. Right on the money. If they sign anyone of the people that have been discussed in any of these threads I will be shocked. With the exception of Warrener,Zhitnik or Peca.

Rolston going to free agency. Don't know if it was posted already or not but here it is.

Link

Darcy must be licking his lips right now.

Only if he is finishing breakfast.

I have a sick feeling that the Sabrs toughness will be an issue again this year. Orpik represents the answer to a lot of the Sabres needs. If the Sabres pass on the opportunity to get Orpik signed than all the talk about wanting to get tougher will be just that, talk. The Sabres probably sign a defense like the ones they have now. Good defensively, can skate, not overly physical and unwilling to get in to it when Miller gets run nightly.

Orpik, the physical shut down defenseman the Rangers crave, had asked the Penguins for a six-year, $24M deal with a no-trade clause after rejecting Pittsburgh's five-year offer at $3.5M. The Rangers would likely be in for a deal in the four-year, $16M range.

I'd give him five years, $20M.

I share your optimism as well. But unfortunately Darcy is going to be having a presser at 11 to tell everyone what he's going to do.

Sabres

Couldn't he save the excuses until after the FA Frenzy subsides?

It will be inexcusable for the Sabres to do nothing significant today. Especially when they have $6.5 in dead cap space (#19 & #61) on the roster.

Only if he is finishing breakfast.

I have a sick feeling that the Sabrs toughness will be an issue again this year. Orpik represents the answer to a lot of the Sabres needs. If the Sabres pass on the opportunity to get Orpik signed than all the talk about wanting to get tougher will be just that, talk. The Sabres probably sign a defense like the ones they have now. Good defensively, can skate, not overly physical and unwilling to get in to it when Miller gets run nightly.

I think I agree with everything in this post, although I wouldn't be surprised if (i) Gaustad played more consistently tough and with an edge this year and (ii) the Sabres signed a tough veteran forward like Tucker or Shanahan (probably not either of those 2, but someone like that).

Couldn't he save the excuses until after the FA Frenzy subsides?

It will inexcusable for the Sabres to do nothing significant today. Especially when they have $6.5 in dead cap space (#19 & #61) on the roster.

Well they plan on clearing up 3.3 of that. I don't know how they would get right of Connolly. Maybe someone is in desperate need of human glass.

I think I agree with everything in this post, although I wouldn't be surprised if (i) Gaustad played more consistently tough and with an edge this year and (ii) the Sabres signed a tough veteran forward like Tucker or Shanahan (probably not either of those 2, but someone like that).

I don't like Tucker but I'd take him on the team. The Sabres need more than one of those players. They need one upfront and the desperately need one on the blue line. The Sabres need a head hunter to protect Miller. I want a guy that is willing to pay a fine or take a supension to protect Miller. It wasn't the number of games that wore Miller out last season. It was all the extra energy he used picking himself up night after night.

Archived