Free Agency Frenzy

Corp000085

All I know as of this moment is through all of this and the absurd contract that Soupy signed and the one Vancouver is reportedly offering Sundin, I still believe Mark Streit and Brooks Orpik are still unsigned. I don't think Orpik will happen, but maybe Darcy suprises us. I would love to get Mark Streit, but I don't see that happening either. I also noticed that Brendan Morrison is still available and Columbus has yet to sign him. The day is not over and there are still good players to be had. Even elite players to be had. We'll see what the rest of today and the rest of the week brings.

Edit: By the way, TSN reporting that the Holik is back with the Devils for one year at $2.5 million.

If they got 2/3 of these guys I would eat a hat and post the video on youtube for everyone to watch.

Darcy is sitting on his hands, typical. I am not looking for any huge moves here. Not even to make a move for the sake of making a move. There are decent players out there that could improve this club. Arrrgh so frustrating to watch everyone else rotool and revamp their teams while we sit idle.

Redden to the Rags 6 years 39.

1) Agree, never said it was though. Plus you know we aren't bringing in any big-time players, so it's debatable how much of a difference any of the guys we might get will have on a team that needs a swift kick in the arse.

2) Trades still a *faint* possibility. Regeir said today he's content with Max on the roster going into the season. He is our biggest trade bait probably.

3) Doesn't do much for me. Pomminstein might be your guy, but other than him I don't see any leader emerging from that dressing room.

4) If the teams in the East iced the same rosters we'd still miss the playoffs. We weren't better then, and aren't now. Only way we get better is if they somehow get worse and we just stand pat.

I'm not one of the "daily front office-rippers" that frequent the board, but I think it makes a lot more sense to expect the Sabres to do nothing than it does to expect anything. I use history to make sense of the future, and history tells me we will make one or two marginal moves. I'm of the opinion that it's going to take more than that to fix this ship.

I guess there is where we differ. I think a couple marginal moves is all it will take a young team to get better and make up four points to make the playoffs. I'm not too hung up on finishing first--we saw where that got us. Just finish in the top 8, preferably 4, and anything can happen. I wasn't looking for, and didn't think they needed to make a huge splash. A big D, A solid backup goalie and a veteran forward, in that order, was all I was looking for in addition to signing our own. We'll see. You could certainly end up being correct though.

Darcy is sitting on his hands, typical. I am not looking for any huge moves here. Not even to make a move for the sake of making a move. There are decent players out there that could improve this club. Arrrgh so frustrating to watch everyone else rotool and revamp their teams while we sit idle.

Redden to the Rags 6 years 39.

Is anyone as unimpressed with Redden as I've been? Maybe the change of scenery is what he needs. But really.

Patience Bread.

Is anyone as unimpressed with Redden as I've been? Maybe the change of scenery is what he needs. But really.

Patience Bread.

Not one of my better virtues.

As far as Redden I agree last year was unimpressive, of course having your mom die and your team try and trade you may just be a little deflating.

2) Trades still a *faint* possibility. Regeir said today he's content with Max on the roster going into the season. He is our biggest trade bait probably.

Awesome. :thumbdown:

I guess there is where we differ. I think a couple marginal moves is all it will take a young team to get better and make up four points to make the playoffs. I'm not too hung up on finishing first--we saw where that got us. Just finish in the top 8, preferably 4, and anything can happen. I wasn't looking for, and didn't think they needed to make a huge splash. A big D, A solid backup goalie and a veteran forward, in that order, was all I was looking for in addition to signing our own. We'll see. You could certainly end up being correct though.

I don't know which opinion is in the majority. "Stay the course", or "add a big D, solid back-up and a veteran forward, preferably a center." Personally, I completely agree with you. Lalime... whatever. However, if there is not a serious defenseman added to the roster, I am going to be pissed! Is that really asking too much?

Instead, let's let a young team mature? It's the same team that looked horrible from the trade deadline on. So the fact that each skater has another year under their belt, we are to believe that they have learned discipline and cohesiveness. I believe in those things, but I also believe we have talent that is no match for a majority of the league. Hence, no playoffs.

Get it done!

I don't get this one at all. 20M is pretty reasonable. Tampa is throwing $$$ everywhere. They get exclusive rights, and then he settles for 20M and 4????

the issue wasn't money in tampa. he wanted to go to a "hockey city" and somewhere his 6 year old kid can play top level hockey.

i didn't know new jersey qualified as either of those....

When you think about it, the ONLY thing Buffalo REALLY needed was a back-up goalie. That was done today. That's all folks.. Whatever happens from this point will be the replacement of a b-line player with a b-line player in hopes that "chemistry" or "change of scenery" kicks in.

i hope that darcy has the manhood to say either: we were never going after the big names to improve because we don't have the $$, the owner wouldn't give up the purse strings, we don't care, etc; or, we were making offers and none of the FAs are interested because of the organization's reputation.

Archived