Free Agency Frenzy

Corp000085

I'd love to hear some reaction from people who were all over the team for not being able to get something done before the deadline. It's a shame we had the great board crash of '08 because I'd love to get a good laugh at all the numbers thrown around in those threads. I never even thought he was worth half of what he could end up signing for.

I thought he would get between 5 and 6 and I think I was his biggest supporter here..BUT 7 MILLION PER..That really really has me thinking that it is gonna be harder than we might think to sign Miller and Pominville..If Pominville was on the open market right now he would get 7-8 mill..No question in my mind...This could have far reaching effects on the SAbres..

I thought he would get between 5 and 6 and I think I was his biggest supporter here..BUT 7 MILLION PER..That really really has me thinking that it is gonna be harder than we might think to sign Miller and Pominville..If Pominville was on the open market right now he would get 7-8 mill..No question in my mind...This could have far reaching effects on the SAbres..

Wait to see what Hossa gets before you put Pominville in that range. At this moment, he's a much better hockey player than Pominville. I want him on our team for a very long time, but again, we're overvaluing him a bit.

Let me just pose a question to the people who have been posting here all day...I'm trying not to get ansy because of all the excitement of the day, but can anybody tell me why we should expect a different result next season when we're going into it with virtually the same roster that missed the playoffs and struggled consistently all year? In all seriousness. How will it be any different?

Wait to see what Hossa gets before you put Pominville in that range. At this moment, he's a much better hockey player than Pominville. I want him on our team for a very long time, but again, we're overvaluing him a bit.

There talking Hossa has been offered 11.3 per year for 7 years..Just heard that on the fan also..They did have campbell at 8 mill per year and they were off a mill..But still if Hossa gets 10 mill forget Pominville

Let me just pose a question to the people who have been posting here all day...I'm trying not to get ansy because of all the excitement of the day, but can anybody tell me why we should expect a different result next season when we're going into it with virtually the same roster that missed the playoffs and struggled consistently all year? In all seriousness. How will it be any different?

So I'm confused. Has the roster officially been locked in at this point? Can you jump the gun any more than you are right now. There is still a full 2-3 months for this offseason and changes will be made.

Stenbaro, like you said, Campbell was reported at getting higher offers. I'm expecting Hossa to fall back down to the Campbell range. You need to stop comparing Pominville to the cream of the free agent crop because that is not what he is. I'm sure he'll progress again this season, but still, he is far from that cream of the crop. If I had to put him somewhere, I'd say he falls somewhere between Perry and Spezza, so the 5-7 million range.

Good question..Obviously we will be a year older and supposedly wiser..You know the Sabres had a good long 2 seasons in a row..We played more games than most teams..Maybe they ran out of gas and need a break to get their legs back there wounds healed and sometimes you go backwards before you get better

To be fair, it's day 1 of FA. DR said they will make moves, but implied many would come later (e.g., trades for forwards.) The big name Dman that many want isn't even signed yet and they will probably go after second-tier guys, anyway. So, basically, hold that thought for a month or so. and then ask again if it is still true.

Good question..Obviously we will be a year older and supposedly wiser..You know the Sabres had a good long 2 seasons in a row..We played more games than most teams..Maybe they ran out of gas and need a break to get their legs back there wounds healed and sometimes you go backwards before you get better

I agree. You can't expect a team to always be able to make it to the post season if they won't spend to/near the cap like most other teams are able to do. The fact that we don't spend and still end up with a very good team and others do spend and get nothing from it should tell ya that we have a good idea about what we are doing. Last year I do think was an off year because of the defense and back up goalie situation. Hopefully we can fill that defenseman that we are missing since Kalinin is going to be gone and maybe get a good center still. A lot of days after July 1 that they can sign people and I think they will get some people that we won't like (LaLime from what everyone is complaining about) but at least they are addressing the need. Give them some credit for doing something other than sticking their thumb up their butts and saying "Our team is good for next season the way it is".

So I'm confused. Has the roster officially been locked in at this point? Can you jump the gun any more than you are right now. There is still a full 2-3 months for this offseason and changes will be made.

Stenbaro, like you said, Campbell was reported at getting higher offers. I'm expecting Hossa to fall back down to the Campbell range. You need to stop comparing Pominville to the cream of the free agent crop because that is not what he is. I'm sure he'll progress again this season, but still, he is far from that cream of the crop. If I had to put him somewhere, I'd say he falls somewhere between Perry and Spezza, so the 5-7 million range.

When it comes to negotiating a contract common sense falls out the window..Agents use stats and age and quality for negotiating..

In Pominvilles favor

1: His stats are as good as any top winger in the NHL

2: He is still young

3: He has a ton of positive playoff experience

4: He is only getting better..

quick edit: He was 18th in the NHL in scoring..And the 6th highest scoring RW behind Iginla,Kovalev,Alfredson,Gaborik And St Louis

He is gonna get a contract equal to the top wingers in the league..

TSN...

The New Jersey Devils are on the verge of signing free agent forward Brian Rolston to a four-year, $20 million contract.

If that's true, he must have really wanted out of Minnesota. That's quite economical. Wonder what Tampa was offering?

No Orpik signing yet. Hope we're still in that sweepstakes.

If it's taking this long to sign him, I get the feeling that it's out of our reach and other teams are throwing big numbers at him. I hope I'm wrong and we have been on the other line coming back with offers to others teams.

TSN...

The New Jersey Devils are on the verge of signing free agent forward Brian Rolston to a four-year, $20 million contract.

Oh, well. Even though I was skeptical, I was still holding out hope that we'd snag him. $5 million x 4 years seems like a pretty reasonable price in this market. I wonder if we made an offer.

Oh, well. Even though I was skeptical, I was still holding out hope that we'd snag him. $5 million x 4 years seems like a pretty reasonable price in this market. I wonder if we made an offer.

I don't get this one at all. 20M is pretty reasonable. Tampa is throwing $$$ everywhere. They get exclusive rights, and then he settles for 20M and 4????

That 11.5 months of cloudy WNY weather has gotten to you son.

1) free agency isn't over.

2) trades still a possibility

3) a young team got a year older

4) how many teams ahead of us last year have gotten markedly better? Same question but gotten worse or would also ice virtually the same roster?

Let's give em a chance before we bury them.

That 11.5 months of cloudy WNY weather has gotten to you son.

1) free agency isn't over.

2) trades still a possibility

3) a young team got a year older

4) how many teams ahead of us last year have gotten markedly better? Same question but gotten worse or would also ice virtually the same roster?

Let's give em a chance before we bury them.

Point 4 well made. I'm really surprised by the lack of moves in the NorthEast. Especially in Ottawa. Everything I read said they were going to be movers and shakers.

Point 4 well made. I'm really surprised by the lack of moves in the NorthEast. Especially in Ottawa. Everything I read said they were going to be movers and shakers.

I bet no agent can understand Murray's offers with that terrible lisp... :bag:

Archived