Free Agency Frenzy

Corp000085

I went to Yahoo Sports' player page for Auld and it lists Boston first, then Phoenix.

Ahh, there's this big box in the right side that has last season's total combined together not seperately. Just teasin' wolfy.

No worries, I've been doing the same thing (working since early this a.m.) and that might be why I had no idea what you were posting. :thumbsup:

Maybe its the tiredness but why wouldnt the Sabres have signed Campbell and then traded him to the team that would pay the most..I think they couldve gotten a hecka of alot more than what they got..

Miller's a veteran now. It's laughable to think he needs someone to come in and show him the ropes. I think with Miller, at this stage in his career, what you see is what you get. It is what it is.

I tend to agree, but there are always exceptions. I thought Marty was in that same boat a couple years ago. He's taken his career to new heights. For goaltenders specifically, sometimes they don't reach their potential until later in their careers. I think Miller is in this category. His best days are ahead of him.

Maybe its the tiredness but why wouldnt the Sabres have signed Campbell and then traded him to the team that would pay the most..I think they couldve gotten a hecka of alot more than what they got..

But the only reason Campbell is getting crazy money is because he helped SJ make the playoffs. If he had gone to SJ and bombed he wouldn't get this kind of cash.

Heard on the fan 590 out of toronto that Campbell is being offered 8 yrs 70 million...LOL...We shoulda signed him for 5 for 30 and then traded his ass for the motherload...

Honestly, what is the rest of the league thinking? Soup is a very good defenseman. He will get you a nice collection of assists every year. I'm not quite sure where this "he makes your powerplay great" stuff comes from, as I remember many anemic man advantages in the past couple of years, but he will certainly get the puck up the ice. He'll cost you goals every couple of games by taking chances or with somewhat irresponsible play in his own end. He'll start a few nice rushes. But one thing is clear-- he is NOT a top tier talent in this league. Nobody is going to take their kid to a game because Brian Campbell is coming to town. I just don't get it. This line of thinking is just totally confounding. Why would you pay anyone who is not a top ten superstar that kind of money?

Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovulchuk, Hossa, Thorton, Datsyuk, LeCavalier, etc. and Campbell? One of these things is not like the other.

Now I know that none of those others are defensemen either, but still, who would you rather have? Does anyone think that Soup's play wins you a Cup? This is superstar money for someone who is not.

Ahh, there's this big box in the right side that has last season's total combined together not seperately. Just teasin' wolfy.

, you're right. I should have known that - I usually go to the Yahoo pages first.

I'm deferring to the stenbaro "exhausted" excuse.

I tend to agree, but there are always exceptions. I thought Marty was in that same boat a couple years ago. He's taken his career to new heights. There is still time for goaltenders to get better and I think Miller will. His best days are ahead of him.

Agreed.

I guess, though, we can keep harping on Ryan for having a disappointing season when the entire team had a disappointing season AND conclude that "this is as good as it gets" for Ryan. And of course we should discount the other factors that play into a goalie's numbers, like bad defense, playing too many games, facing a ton of odd-man rushes...

But the only reason Campbell is getting crazy money is because he helped SJ make the playoffs. If he had gone to SJ and bombed he wouldn't get this kind of cash.

SJ was making the playoffs with or without Campbell. They brought him in so that he could help with a deep playoff run. Instead they had a 2nd round exit.

I bet they wish they had Bernier and the 1st rounder back! ;)

WTF...Ek is reporting that Atlanta is offering Campbell 8.5 per year and Chicago is offering to match. Unf***ing believable. :angry:

Screw the lottery (didn't win on Friday, sorry BtP) I want my kid to be a hockey player when he grows up. Soupy is reaping the rewards of a UFA perfect storm for him to score a freakin' jackpot this year.

Honestly, what is the rest of the league thinking? Soup is a very good defenseman. He will get you a nice collection of assists every year. I'm not quite sure where this "he makes your powerplay great" stuff comes from, as I remember many anemic man advantages in the past couple of years, but he will certainly get the puck up the ice. He'll cost you goals every couple of games by taking chances or with somewhat irresponsible play in his own end. He'll start a few nice rushes. But one thing is clear-- he is NOT a top tier talent in this league. Nobody is going to take their kid to a game because Brian Campbell is coming to town. I just don't get it. This line of thinking is just totally confounding. Why would you pay anyone who is not a top ten superstar that kind of money?

Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovulchuk, Hossa, Thorton, Datsyuk, LeCavalier, etc. and Campbell? One of these things is not like the other.

Now I know that none of those others are defensemen either, but still, who would you rather have? Does anyone think that Soup's play wins you a Cup? This is superstar money for someone who is not.

He brings alot to the table...(Food that Is,especially now) When he gets control of the puck in the defensive zone players back off and he changes the zone quickly..I guess some teams feel that is what they need..Thats all he really brings..I think he does that better than anyone in the NHL..He doesnt deserve 8 mill ayear for it though..LOL

SJ was making the playoffs with or without Campbell. They brought him in so that he could help with a deep playoff run. Instead they had a 2nd round exit.

I bet they wish they had Bernier and the 1st rounder back! ;)

I was thinking the exact same thing. SJ was already in the playoffs before the signed him.

Man, I hope Bernier goes on a friggin rampage this season with the Sabres!! :thumbsup:

i love campbell. but, 8 or 8.5 is absurd. i would rather spend it elsewhere if we will just SPEND IT AT ALL.

I'm pretty sure we could get two good players for that amount of money, maybe a third so-so player. Hopefully we will use some of that in such a manor.

I saw Lalime pick up the slack last year in Chicago when the Bulin Wall was falling down. He posted positive numbers on a Blackhawks team that let in a lot of goals. Let's hope he can improve on that in front of a quality Sabres team. Going back a few now (since Sideshow Bob), if we'd had backups who'd just played .500, I think we would have been in or closer to the playoffs every year not just on the fringe (season before last as an aside).

At least we're in the game - next up, let's get some D-men & offload some excess baggage (see ya Maxim)!

Yeah, a defense usually helps. I hope we have one of those this year. :ph34r:

That's crazy talk.. WE ARE THE BUFFALO SABRES PLAYING IN THE NEW NHL!!! We don't need no defense.. Stick with the program..

How long to Lalime becomes LA LAME???

Sportsnet.ca has this to say about Lalime:

Assets: Is athletic and positionally sound most of the time. Owns a positive attitude, which rubs off on his teammates.

Flaws: Can lose focus and give up soft goals, which has ruined a promising career. Is largely a goaltender in decline, mainly because of a suspect mental game.

<_<

That's crazy talk.. WE ARE THE BUFFALO SABRES PLAYING IN THE NEW NHL!!! We don't need no defense.. Stick with the program..

How long to Lalime becomes LA LAME???

Well, if it does come to that, I'll remember to credit that nickname to you. :thumbsup:

He brings alot to the table...(Food that Is,especially now) When he gets control of the puck in the defensive zone players back off and he changes the zone quickly..I guess some teams feel that is what they need..Thats all he really brings..I think he does that better than anyone in the NHL..He doesnt deserve 8 mill ayear for it though..LOL

I'd love to hear some reaction from people who were all over the team for not being able to get something done before the deadline. It's a shame we had the great board crash of '08 because I'd love to get a good laugh at all the numbers thrown around in those threads. I never even thought he was worth half of what he could end up signing for.

soupy to chicago

8 years, $7.1 per

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242194&lid...s=topStory_main

Scary thing is that he's probably getting $8.5-9 million per year for most of that with a couple of low buyout years tacked on at the end. Nothing like getting a 6 x $8.5 million contract for a $7.1 million hit by tacking on two years at $3 and $2.8 million (just guessing.)

Archived