Free Agency Frenzy

Corp000085

Stillman to Florida.

Huet to Chicago.

1) I can't believe Florida was able to lure anybody to play there (because they traded their best player and stunk last year and they're officially the "other" Florida team)

2) Huet is a backup now? Or will the "Bulin Wall" be traded?

Yeah, Boyle's a slacker :doh:

Someone had to go there, right? :rolleyes:

Its not really my point. They have a decent top pair in Boyle and Kuba. But we all know that their goaltending and defense is suspect at best. If I'm a Tampa fan, I'm not worried about filling the net. I'm a little worried that they can't keep the puck out of their net. They've signed five forwards since Saturday. I'll be surprised if they make it past the 1st round.

Stillman to Florida.

Huet to Chicago.

What are they going to do with Khabibulin? He's signed through the end of this year, at $6.75M. That's an expensive backup, either way...

Someone had to go there, right? :rolleyes:

Its not really my point. They have a decent top pair in Boyle and Kuba. But we all know that their goaltending and defense is suspect at best. If I'm a Tampa fan, I'm not worried about filling the net. I'm a little worried that they can't keep the puck out of their net. They've signed five forwards since Saturday. I'll be surprised if they make it past the 1st round.

Agreed. When I pick my tickets for next year I want the Tampa Bay games. Should be a scoring frenzy. Well, unless we have Auld in net!

What about LaLime? any thoughts?

Darcy Tucker to Colorado 4.5 over two seasons

EDIT: Sportnet now saying 4.5 mil per season for two years.

Bastards!! Double Edit: Sportsnet now saying as per TSN that it's 2.25 per for 2 years, 4.5

Another July 1st, twidaling our Sabres thumbs!! Is DR working the phones or what?!? We would like some FA Vet depth please!

I don't get why people would think otherwise, especially when they pretty much come out and tell everyone that they don't plan to be active right now in FA, and are only looking at a backup goalie and a defencemen. I just wonder if they figured there would be such a run on backup goalies so early.

So unless Detroit plans on carrying 3 goalies, either Conklin or Howard will have to clear waivers this upcoming season. I'd imagine that someone will take a shot at Howard, if available.

What if they don't bring Howard up to the main roster this year? they could leave him in the minors for another year if they don't feel he is ready and move him up next year

Canucks issue first RFA sheet to Blues C David Backes (LINK) - 3 years $7.5M. Second rounder if not matched by St. Louis.

WOW. Looks like Kevin Lowe really did open the flood gates last season. I think the Sabres better get serious about getting Paille and Bernier signed soon (at least Paille), because this proves they are definitely potential offer sheet targets.

I don't get why people would think otherwise, especially when they pretty much come out and tell everyone that they don't plan to be active right now in FA, and are only looking at a backup goalie and a defencemen. I just wonder if they figured there would be such a run on backup goalies so early.

I hear you on this. I am not expecting Sundin or Hossa etc, but this team needs a G and a D guy and they seem to be going fast. They should seriously look at Conklin again. Guy played great last year.

Very good news:

Vancouver signs RFA forward David Backes to an offer sheet, 3 years $7.5-million. St. Louis has seven days to match or accept a 2nd round draft pick as compensation.

That would lock their draft pick up and make them unlikely for Bernier, Paille.

Well scratch Conks off the list:

DETROIT -- Veteran goalie Ty Conklin, who played 33 games for Pittsburgh last season, has agreed to terms on a one-year contract with the Stanley Cup champion Red Wings.

Mainly a back-up to Penguins Marc-Andre Fluery last season, Conklin posted a respectable 18-8-5 record with two shutouts, and a 2.51 goals-against average and a .923 save percentage.

Conklin, 32, will challenge Jimmy Howard in training camp for the back-up role to Red Wings starter Chris Osgood. In 109 career regular-season games, Conklin, a native of Anchorage, Alaska, has compiled a 48-32-12 record with a 2.60 GAA and .909 save percentage.

Conklin spent parts of three seasons with the Edmonton Oilers before splitting the 2006-07 season between Buffalo and Columbus.

On Nov 26, 2003, Conklin got his only career start against the Red Wings. Then with the Oilers, Conklin surrendered five goals, including power-play goals to Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan and Brett Hull, in a 7-1 loss to the Wings at Joe Louis Arena.

I hear you on this. I am not expecting Sundin or Hossa etc, but this team needs a G and a D guy and they seem to be going fast. They should seriously look at Conklin again. Guy played great last year.

Read about a page back, he already signed with Detroit for $750,000

I have this feeling they are going to sit back, rumage through the bargain bin remains in a few days, maybe sign a player or 2 when the players are desperate to sign anywhere, and make their moves through trades, or claim they are happy with what they have and that they will improve just because the younger guys are getting more experience and move up a couple of the guys from the AHL to full time duty

Too Late:

Wings get their back-up

Detroit signed goaltender Ty Conklin to a 1 year deal worth $750,000

Archived