Free Agency Frenzy

Corp000085

Sabres' 2008-09 Backup Goalie Plans:

--Welcome back Mika, save on glass-cleaning bills.

--T-bo: was he really that bad?

--Dan Cloutier - reports of his suckitude are vastly over exaggerated

--Patrick LaLime - Really?

Well, it looks like Khabibulin is available since the Hawks just signed Huet. And, apparently Thibault is still unsigned. I cannot believe the Sabres just let Auld, Conklin, and Kolzig go without a fight. Ridiculous. Backup goaltender was a big problem this past year, and the Sabres have not done anything to resolve it. I don't think Enroth is ready for the NHL yet. What to do?

Edit: Boy do I feel stupid. Just as I post, the Sabres sign Lalime. He had a good year in Chicago and definitely an upgrade over Thibault. I'm happier.

I'm disappointed that Finger got signed by Toronto, but he's probably not that big of a loss anyway. There have been quite a few signings in the last hour and a half, but the big names are still unsigned - Campbell, Orpik, Redden, Rolston, Shanahan, Jagr, Avery, Hossa. So, still plenty of time, but I really don't think Buffalo is in the mix with any of the above guys.

We did get our first offer sheet of the year with David Backes, so it'll be interesting what the Blues do. I hope Buffalo does something this offseason even if it means bargain basement guys, but the team does need some new blood to improve it. Not a lot, but some.

Howard is currently a restricted free agent. The second he's signed, he's on the Detroit roster and has to clear waivers to be assigned to the AHL. Even if that wasn't the case, players don't get to start the year in the minors like that. At the start of the year, anyone under an NHL contract starts out with the big club and must be assigned to the minors.

Also, for all the people around here whining that we haven't done anything yet. How many of the people who have been signed so far did you think were actually serious options for this team? And as apus pointed out, there are plenty of teams who haven't done a thing yet. Plenty of good players are still available and things will happen. Just give it some time... more than 2 hours anyway.

I didn't know he was a RFA, I thought he was still under a minor league/2 way contract and could just stay down in the AHL if they didn't bring him up

I believe Howard has passed the point in terms of service and age were he can be kept in the minors without first clearing waivers. You can't just designate guys as minor league once they pass this point. Same case for MacArthur this year.

Actually, looking over the CBA, I never realized this, but the rules are a little different for goalies. He actually has one more year of waiver exemption. He hasn't played nearly enough NHL games to come near that cut off, so they can assign him to Grand Rapids.

What quality Goalies are left out there?!?

Hell with it, bring up Enroth!

"Welcome to the fire, son"

No no no no no no no no no. This would be the most idiotic move of all.

OK, so here's a list of goalies that as far as I know are still out there. I didn't put the ones that got snapped up. But looks like there still might be a few capable guys out there.

Jean-Sebastien Aubin (ANA)

Fred Brathwaite (ATL)

Johan Hedberg (ATL)

<s>Alex Auld (BOS)</s>

John Grahame (CAR)

Michael Leighton (CAR)

Wade Flaherty (CHI)

Patrick Lalime (CHI)

Johan Holmqvist (DAL)

Adam Berkhoel (DET)

Yann Danis (MTL)

Frank Doyle (NJ)

Wade Dubielewicz (NYI)

Mike Morrison (NYI)

Stephen Valiquette (NYR)

Ray Emery (OTT)

David Aebischer (PHX)

Juuso Riksman (STL)

Marc Denis (TB)

Curtis Sanford (VAN)

Frederic Cassivi (WSH)

<s>Olaf Kolzig (WSH)</s>

Aubin, Hedberg, Aebischer, Denis, etc. A few guys never really seen play at all. Emery not so hot on just cause. But, I think there's still some guys we could get to play 20-25 games.

Updated the list. We could always get Leighton or Berkhoel back. :P

I promised this would be my response to any goalie signing so here goes on Lalime ... :unsure: ... could be good, could be bad, who the hell knows? If he was consistent he would not be available to back up for cheap ...

I will say I hate the fact he will likely be wearing #40 ... non-traditional numbers bug me, especially on goalies ... man, am I crotchity, or what?

Don't like the Lalime move one bit. Never liked him, too inconsistent, would have much rather had Auld.

Sounding like a desperation move to get whatever was left before there was nothing left. I don't know if they didn't realise there would be such a run on FA goalies so soon. Oh Well, they will probably call a PC soon to tell everyone how they signed their guy and how he was the one they were looking at all along, or that he was the best of whats left

Atleast we know that T-Bo will be going somewhere to shine this season, and that lalimes career will get back on track next season too.

I promised this would be my response to any goalie signing so here goes on Lalime ... :unsure: ... could be good, could be bad, who the hell knows? If he was consistent he would not be available to back up for cheap ...

I will say I hate the fact he will likely be wearing #40 ... non-traditional numbers bug me, especially on goalies ... man, am I crotchity, or what?

Same here. I completely expected our backup goalie signing to be something I would have absolutely no opinion about. Hopefully this one works out better, but the money definitely doesn't hurt.

Sounding like a desperation move to get whatever was left before there was nothing left. I don't know if they didn't realise there would be such a run on FA goalies so soon. Oh Well, they will probably call a PC soon to tell everyone how they signed their guy and how he was the one they were looking at all along, or that he was the best of whats left

Oh god, don't say that.

Like I said, why not Auld for half the price?

These number get reported differently around the www, I'd bet it's 1 million per year. He's a decent backup and was getting 600k last year, doubt he'd go less than that.

Couldn't he save the excuses until after the FA Frenzy subsides?

It will be inexcusable for the Sabres to do nothing significant today. Especially when they have $6.5 in dead cap space (#19 & #61) on the roster.

No excuses for Miller now hs problems have been solved..LALIME..YEH..We got our man..

Not sure why the hate:

T-bo 12 games played 3.31 GAA .869 Save percent

Auld 32 games ---- 2.68 and .907

LaLime 32 Games 2.82 and .897

Still waiting for more confirmation of La lime (as the song "you put de lime in the coconut and shake it all up" goes thru my head)

No excuses for Miller now hs problems have been solved..LALIME..YEH..We got our man..

I'm sure he's the veteran backup everyone was thinking of who could help mentor Ryan a little and will earn the trust of Lindy and the staff.

Archived