Free Agency Frenzy

Corp000085

What if they don't bring Howard up to the main roster this year? they could leave him in the minors for another year if they don't feel he is ready and move him up next year

If they did that they won't want to keep him down there for too long - they have an Enroth-type player coming over to NA for the first time this year and they're going to want to get him some PT.

WOW. Looks like Kevin Lowe really did open the flood gates last season. I think the Sabres better get serious about getting Paille and Bernier signed soon (at least Paille), because this proves they are definitely potential offer sheet targets.

I was thinking the same thing - let's take the temptation away from these guys and get them locked up.

Very good news:

Vancouver signs RFA forward David Backes to an offer sheet, 3 years $7.5-million. St. Louis has seven days to match or accept a 2nd round draft pick as compensation.

That would lock their draft pick up and make them unlikely for Bernier, Paille.

I think I heard that somewhere. ;)

Another July 1st, twidaling our Sabres thumbs!! Is DR working the phones or what?!? We would like some FA Vet depth please!

I can see them both sitting in the war room looking back and forth at each other say "How come no one has called us yet?" :wallbash:

Thanks to all for the updates. We know of all these so far:

Tuesday, July 1

TIME (ET) TRANSACTION

4:02PM Colorado signs UFA forward Darcy Tucker to a 2 year deal worth $4.5-million per

3:49PM Vancouver signs RFA forward David Backes to an offer sheet, 3 years $7.5-million. St. Louis has seven days to match or accept a 2nd round draft pick as compensation.

3:43PM Chicago signs UFA goaltender Cristobal Huet (undisclosed)

3:41PM Florida signs UFA forward Cory Stillman to a 3 year deal worth $10.6-million

3:40PM NY Rangers sign UFA forward Aaron Voros (undisclosed)

3:40PM Pittsburgh signs UFA forward Eric Godard to a 3 year deal (undisclosed)

3:38PM Tampa Bay signs UFA forward Adam Hall to a 3 year deal worth $1.8-million 3:24PM Toronto signs UFA goaltender Curtis Joseph to a 1 year deal worth $700,000

3:24PM Toronto signs UFA defenceman Jeff Finger to a 4 year deal worth $3.5-million a season

3:09PM Phoenix signs UFA forward Todd Fedoruk to a 3 year deal (undisclosed)

3:07PM Detroit signs UFA goaltender Ty Conklin to a 1 year deal worth $750,000

3:07PM Montreal re-signs RFA forward Andrei Kostitsyn to a 3 year deal worth $3.25-million a season

3:03PM Colorado signs UFA goaltender Andrew Raycroft to a 1 year deal worth $800,000

2:53PM Washington signs UFA goaltender Jose Theodore to a 2 year deal (undisclosed)

2:50PM Phoenix signs UFA defenceman Kurt Sauer to a 4 year deal worth an average of $1.75-million a year

2:02PM Pittsburgh Penguins re-sign UFA defenceman Mark Eaton to a 2 year deal worth $2-million

1:58PM Minnesota Wild sign UFA forward Andrew Brunette to 3 year deal worth $7-million.

1:33PM Vancouver signs RFA forward Kyle Wellwood to a 1 year deal worth $997,500.

12:55PM Boston signs UFA forward Blake Wheeler to an entry-level contract.

12:52PM Lightning sign UFA forward Radim Vrbata to a $9-million, three-year contract.

12:04PM Anaheim re-sign forward Corey Perry to a five-year deal worth $26.625-million which will average $5.325-million a year.

11:58AM Pittsburgh Penguins sign forward Pascal Dupuis to a three-year deal which will average $1.4-million per year.

11:58AM Detroit Red Wings and veteran defenseman Brad Stuart have agreed to terms on a 4 year contract that averages 3.75 per year.

11:35AM New Jersey re-signs forwards Jay Pandolfo (3 years, $7.5-million) David Clarkson (undisclosed) and Barry Tallackson (undisclosed). Declines option on forward Sergei Brylin. 10:21AM New Jersey agrees to terms with defenceman Bryce Salvador to a four-year deal worth $11.6 million (average of $2.9 million per season).

8:45AM Washington re-signs defenceman Mike Green to a four-year deal worth $21 million (average of $5.25 million per season).

Monday, June 30

TIME (ET) TRANSACTION

6:53PM Detroit Red Wings re-sign defenceman Andreas Lilja to a two-year contract.

6:45PM Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Paul Gaustad to a four-year, $9.2 million contract.

6:39PM San Jose Sharks re-sign forward Jody Shelley to a two-year contract.

5:55PM Tampa Bay Lightning sign forward Vaclav Prospal to a multi-year contract.

8:03AM Tampa Bay Lightning sign forward Gary Roberts to a one-year contract.

If they did that they won't want to keep him down there for too long - they have an Enroth-type player coming over to NA for the first time this year and they're going to want to get him some PT.

I was thinking the same thing - let's take the temptation away from these guys and get them locked up.

I think I heard that somewhere. ;)

I clipboarded it. Forgot to link ....I'll credit Canadian media in general.

What if they don't bring Howard up to the main roster this year? they could leave him in the minors for another year if they don't feel he is ready and move him up next year

I believe Howard has passed the point in terms of service and age were he can be kept in the minors without first clearing waivers. You can't just designate guys as minor league once they pass this point. Same case for MacArthur this year.

Howard is currently a restricted free agent. The second he's signed, he's on the Detroit roster and has to clear waivers to be assigned to the AHL. Even if that wasn't the case, players don't get to start the year in the minors like that. At the start of the year, anyone under an NHL contract starts out with the big club and must be assigned to the minors.

Also, for all the people around here whining that we haven't done anything yet. How many of the people who have been signed so far did you think were actually serious options for this team? And as apus pointed out, there are plenty of teams who haven't done a thing yet. Plenty of good players are still available and things will happen. Just give it some time... more than 2 hours anyway.

Hopefully that leaves Auld for us.

I'd consider that lucky at this point. If we are left to choose between Emery and Cloutier then this is definitely a failure by the front office. If it gets to that point you have to look at it like this--they aren't going after big name guys, they think they only have a couple needs--they can't even get a freakin backup goalie signed? How inept can you be?

AP 1 July 2008: BUffalo experimenting with all wheel drive on the Zamboni. Sabres management, witnessed ringside, said to be impressed.

A Major free agency signing just announced by the sabres. Larry Quinn has discovered a young singer from Newfoundland that will impress with her singing of both national anthems. She is studying Hockey Organ playing as well and will learn to operate the jumbotron.

Archived