Don Waddell hired by Columbus

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

My bet is he ends up in Columbus. 

In the extremely unlikely event he ends up in Buffalo, would it be as POHO? 

Yeah I bet it would be POHO or he becomes GM and Adams becomes President to talk to Pegula everyday.

Columbus would be GM, Chicago and Buffalo probably President, Senior adviser.

If not Waddell I wonder if there are others that Buffalo is looking at for an upper management role.

• Like (+1) 2

Granted, since he came to find analytics, the Canes have been very good.  But he was HORRIBLE in pretty much all his stops prior to that (Atlanta, US Olympic Team).  Want nothing to do with him.

Believe Carolina getting good is in spite of him, not because of him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I always had a low regard for his GM skills. Probably because of the Tradhers stint. Maybe he’s gotten better.

Pegula may have chatted with him at some Govenors meeting and TP thought he was Sam Pollock reincarnated.

Edited by French Collection
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Granted, since he came to find analytics, the Canes have been very good.  But he was HORRIBLE in pretty much all his stops prior to that (Atlanta, US Olympic Team).  Want nothing to do with him.

Tulsky is reason for Carolina’s Success

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

He's a figurehead and nothing more... or was anyway.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Senior Advisor...must be nice to do basically nothing and draw a fat paycheck...where can I get those gigs?

Yeah I know a guy getting 10k a month on advisory role for an airline, dude makes up these dangerous build up plans.  And sends us drawings a little kid could have made, always cracks me up.

Pegula puts a guy above Adams or between himself and Adams if you prefer to look at it that way, I just don't see it. That goes against everything we've seen so far and would signal a major shift in terms of Pegula's involvement.

It's something most of us have advocated for for years but it doesn't fit with how Pegula does things. Unless that's changed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Tulsky is reason for Carolina’s Success

Bingo. Not interested in Waddell. Would rather Karmanos become gm and Adams whatever we wanna call the guy who explains it all to Terry

I’m not for or against Waddell I just like the fact they are interested in a senior advisor person in the organization.

Give me Rick Dudley or someone of that ilk.

I think though that people that want to just crap on Waddell and put all the praise on Tulsky are a little misguided. Tulsky has been there a decade and they don’t want him as GM. If he is the one calling the shots then he deserves the criticism too for their awful goaltending situation the past several years that has cost them going any further and their lack of offensive weapons.

The KK offer sheet has turned out to be a disaster as well however I believe that one came from the owner. 

All GMs have ups and downs. 

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

But…but…I’ve heard of him!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

I thought Waddell pooped the bed in Atlanta and with the US team as well.

Still, the Canes have undeniably been a high-end NHL franchise on his watch:

Waddell joined the Hurricanes as president on July 1, 2014, and oversaw team business operations for each of the last 10 seasons. He was then named the ninth general manager in franchise history on May 8, 2018, and Carolina won at least one round in the Stanley Cup Playoffs during each of his six seasons in charge of hockey operations. The Hurricanes have sold out each of their last 67 games at PNC Arena, including regular season and postseason, marking the longest sellout streak in franchise history.

I gotta figure that he had plenty to do with that success.

I will be pretty happy if the Sabres add a guy with that track record to their FO.

Atlanta was weird situation. Stefan did not work out. Heatley.... Kovalchuk, well was one of first times we realized the Russians do not care about winning. 

Not saying he is answer but don't use Atlanta as some barometer of his ability...

Not a Waddell fan as a hockey ops decision-maker, but as an old boy insider, he knows people and strings.

In a senior advisor role (read a voice in the room, but not the boss or primary conduit to the boss) why not?

I think most of us are in favour of adding another outside voice and Carolina has been doing some things right.

Friedman and Marek spoke on 32 Thoughts about Tulsky and how he is heavily involved in every decision that the front office makes as Dundon listens to him. They wonder if any outside GM candidate would want to enter into this arrangement and felt that removing the Interim Tag from him would be a good option 

Doug MacLean on the radio today said he heard that John Davidson is retiring and Ken Holland will be heading to Columbus as President with Waddell as GM.

McDavid’s old agent is taking over in Edmonton.

We shall see

Edited by Flashsabre

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Doug MacLean on the radio today said he heard that John Davidson is retiring and Ken Holland will be heading to Columbus as President with Waddell as GM.

McDavid’s old agent is taking over in Edmonton.

We shall see

McJesus’ junior coach is the HC too. Maybe his Dad comes in as AGM and his peewee coach as an assistant.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not a Waddell fan as a hockey ops decision-maker, but as an old boy insider, he knows people and strings.

In a senior advisor role (read a voice in the room, but not the boss or primary conduit to the boss) why not?

I think most of us are in favour of adding another outside voice and Carolina has been doing some things right.

And if they’ve been doing things right and they’re letting him walk…

• Thanks (+1) 1