Seth Appert to join Sabres Coaching Staff

Brawndo

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He was a D coach last year and the defenders are still lousy in our zone and it was part of his job to fix it.

Thanks for answering.

You know the Sabres were 11th in goals against last year, right?

Edited by dudacek

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Thanks for answering.

You know the Sabres were 11th in goals against last year, right?

More a function of UPL than the defense.  The Sabres allowed the 6th most high danger chances (791) and allowed 7th most high danger shots (505).  So while UPL was stopping the puck, the defense continually put him behind the 8 ball.  It’s why we were always playing from behind, it’s one of the key factors in why the Sabres gave up a league worst 97 1st period goals.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, I hope you're right, but I will believe it when I see it. 

The history, and the patterns you can see repeating say otherwise. Faith or belief is something I do not have in this group at all. 

You’re completely justified in doubting last year’s group.

But next year’s group now includes a HOF coach.

Lindy is going to be a huge improvement over DG.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

More a function of UPL than the defense.  The Sabres allowed the 6th most high danger chances (791) and allowed 7th most high danger shots (505).  So while UPL was stopping the puck, the defense continually put him behind the 8 ball.  It’s why we were always playing from behind, it’s one of the key factors in why the Sabres gave up a league worst 97 1st period goals.

+1 on this take.  I’ll add, Dahlin and Samuelson regressed.  Individually as well as a pair.  Clifton played his offside for a good 2+ months before any changes were implemented.  And the recommendation to move back didn’t come from Wilford. Lastly, the payroll of the Blueline went up 78%.  Not just UFAs that were mid range signings replacing bottom feeders like Stillman and Clague, but new contracts for Dahls and Mule.  Expectations were higher. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I dunno. He was really good in Cocoon and the Natural.

Don’t forget The Firm.  Great Flick.  @GASabresIUFAN beating Coach Wilford with his briefcase after the Sabres start the 2024 Season 0-8. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

You’re completely justified in doubting last year’s group.

But next year’s group now includes a HOF coach.

Lindy is going to be a huge improvement over DG.

I believe this as well but I'm not going any further than cautiously optimistic.  I would be more optimistic if Lindy had brought in 1 or 2 of his own people as assistants, whoever his own people might be. 

I can totally get why Lindy would want his last coaching job to be back in Buffalo, and he'd obviously want to end on a high note (whenever that end is) and retire a happy Buffalo Sabre. I just hope he still gets to assert himself and they listen to him and get him players he needs, rather than them expecting him to be the listener. 

If Tuch is named captain my optimism will increase. If it's Dahlin not so much. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Happy Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

11 hours ago, Cranky old man said:

Sabres are on a budget. Adam’s has to pay Granato so he can’t pay new assistants. Ruff is free, Appert already under contract. A real pro team doesn’t operate that way right ? But the white plastic dress shoe seems to fit don’t it Pegs?

Right on! Like a cheap, off-colored toupee.

On 5/13/2024 at 10:21 AM, Weave said:

What I don’t like about this is, there isn’t a single outside thought in that staff.  Not one, “this is the way we did it here” perspective.

Completely agree! It's like a tinge of **cest; they just can't help themselves.

Appert has never won anything. 11 years at RPI with 18 full scholarships with big budget and big fan base and won nothing. Rochester won nothing. This lines up with the Ruff two year contract. Spend no money per Pegula orders and Adams keeping control by having no threats to him in organization.

• Like (+1) 3

The consensus seems to be that the plan is to have appert helping with the pp.  I question if that would be a good fit.  Appert was a goalie, at least Ellis had previous forward experience (even if it wasn't on the pp).  I hope lindy is going to be very actively helping with the pp to avoid another Ellis type situation where you have someone who is a good coach not being placed in a position to succeed 

• dislike 1

10 hours ago, Cranky old man said:

Sabres are on a budget. Adam’s has to pay Granato so he can’t pay new assistants. Ruff is free, Appert already under contract. A real pro team doesn’t operate that way right ? But the white plastic dress shoe seems to fit don’t it Pegs?

Why is Ruff free?

28 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Why is Ruff free?

He's not.

It's probably a reference to the fact New Jersey may be paying a portion of his salary.

Like if New Jersey owes him $3M this year and the Sabres signed him for $2M, Lindy would stlll be making $3M, with NJ paying $1M

• dislike 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He's not.

It's probably a reference to the fact New Jersey may be paying a portion of his salary.

Like if New Jersey owes him $3M this year and the Sabres signed him for $2M, Lindy would stlll be making $3M, with NJ paying $1M

Is that really how it works?! Wow. Why wouldn’t he be getting 3 from Jersey and then whatever the Sabres are paying him on top of that? Doesn’t each team make their own deals?

Just now, SwampD said:

Is that really how it works?! Wow. Why wouldn’t he be getting 3 from Jersey and then whatever the Sabres are paying him on top of that? Doesn’t each team make their own deals?

I think they write "if you get hired by another team, things change" into the contract.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I'm not sure, but it is the way I understand it.

Apparently there is language in standard coaching contract that covers these situations, and it's a bit of a 3-way negotiation.

When they are fired, they are still property of the team that fired them, and still entitled to the money they signed for.

If another team wants to sign them, they first have to ask permission of the firing team. The firing team is usually happy to grant it on the condition they won't have to pay the full salary any more.

In practice, it works out to the coach getting at least as much as he was getting from his old team, the old team paying out less than what they would have had to, and the new team paying more or less 'market value'.

That's the way I've seen it explained, anyway.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I'm not sure, but it is the way I understand it.

Apparently there is language in standard coaching contract that covers these situations, and it's a bit of a 3-way negotiation.

When they are fired, they are still property of the team that fired them, and still entitled to the money they signed for.

If another team wants to sign them, they first have to ask permission of the firing team. The firing team is usually happy to grant it on the condition they won't have to pay the full salary any more.

In practice, it works out to the coach getting at least as much as he was getting from his old team, the old team paying out less than what they would have had to, and the new team paying more or less 'market value'.

That's the way I've seen it explained, anyway.

So, the Sabres still have to pay what they agree to pay him, and thus, not free. Only the Devils will see a savings. There are enough actual reasons to be mad at the Sabres on their spending. No need to make them up (I’m not singling you out, Cranky, I’ve just seen this too many times to not have it clarified.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Ah, the Party Line.

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He's not.

I saw a tweet in the aftermath of his hiring that said since Ruff accepted another HC job, NJ would pay almost nothing of the compensation on the remaining years of his NJ HC contract.

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Show me on the doll where the team hurt you.

American Girl Doll GIF by Team Coco

13 years of abuse. You know I think the one that hurt the most (more than tanking) was how they folded up after that season starting, what was it 10? more? game win streak and it momentarily looked like we were on to something. Most other years we've just flirted with winning but that one felt real and I fell off that bandwagon hard. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

He's not.

Really? I was always under the impression that these contracts had clauses in them with releases if you took another coaching job. That's why a lot of them flirt with broadcasting for a year or two after firings. That's a double pay but if they coach they get a release. I could be wrong. Each contract is likely different but I don't know why a team wouldn't have that clause in.