Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

The bottom line is Adams ass is on the line and he wanted someone he could trust and knows he can work with. Lindy brings the positive PR, the accountability piece and he lives here and wants to be here. He also hasn’t been out of the game for an extended period. He was also the easiest sell to Terry.

Two things will make or break this: the quality of his staff and if he has some say in building this roster. I want him to have input in bringing in a few guys to round out this team. Hopefully he tells Adams to shove his “can’t block the kids” plan up his a$$.

I fully expect he grooms the next coach as part of his staff and then moves into management in a few years.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Porous Five Hole said:

The Sabres just hired a head coach who is fifth all time in NHL wins.  I don’t care that he also worked here eleven years ago.  This is a veteran hire that fans have been craving.  

What's his win% since leaving? 

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

He's not wrong either. Lindy gives me full faith in that. It's up to Adams to get us the assets to fill in the blanks to get us a cup.

I'm very elated Lindy is back.

Must be nice. I'm depressed over the easy lazy hire. 

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What's his record since leaving Buffalo?

His record with the Devils was just a skosh better than Donny's with the Sabres.

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

88mprp.jpg
Let’s see how it rolls…..

KA has a career riding on this.  If Lindy fails I don’t see KA working as a GM in the NHL again.

fify  😉 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Why? 

Different coaching philosophy styles for sure. Lindy is a solid veteran coach, to deny that is ridiculous. But I hear you, and many others, that heavily question if he's "the right coach" to go on a cup run. I have faith in Lindy, his style is indeed accountability. Imho.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

To me it feels like a PR hire, not a hockey hire.

PR hire buries the headline: A competent veteran coach

Veteran competence > upside potential.

finally.

This is a team full of kids that seems to *CARE* about the PR. That’s the rub. For good or ill.

They’ll respect Ruff. He’ll do enough to get them in the playoffs.

Is he an amazing coach? No. Will his veteran experience mine SOME points over the course of 82? Yes.

no stone unturned 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

We have to keep in mind that the pickings were likely slim given the failure of the organization since, well, since they fired Lindy. As I stated in another thread, I bet Pegula thought that was a mistake. Now Lindy can redeem himself.

Not tingles-down-my-legs excited but I really don't mind it either. Lindy isn't hard to root for.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The bottom line is Adams ass is on the line and he wanted someone he could trust and knows he can work with. Lindy brings the positive PR, the accountability piece and he lives here and wants to be here. He also hasn’t been out of the game for an extended period. He was also the easiest sell to Terry.

So what you're saying is TPegs told Kevyn he wouldn't authorize a relocation budget for the new coach?

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Loving and Hating this on such severe and equivalent levels that I collapse in on myself like a dying star, destroying all life in the universe in the flap of a butterfly's wings. 

DARK SIGHTING!

Edited by Doohickie
  • Haha (+1) 4

• SDS pinned this topic

I can’t resist saying what I did in the firing thread. Lindy Ruff is the Sabres’ best coach since Lindy Ruff. 

Maybe there might have been some better options out there, but I really don’t mind it. They’re not giving tryouts to first time coaches anymore. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ... said:

We have to keep in mind that the pickings were likely slim given the failure of the organization since, well, since they fired Lindy. As I stated in another thread, I bet Pegula thought that was a mistake. Now Lindy can redeem himself.

Not tingles-down-my-legs excited but I really don't mind it either. Lindy isn't hard to root for.

This isn't true. The Sabres roster made it a very attractive job. Of course we'll never know how attractive now, will we.

I love Lindy, but...Mehhhhhh

This feels like a desperate attempt to move forward on a wave of nostalgia. Lindy was very good here, but that was a different time. His results since leaving the Sabres are a mixed bag. 

Very underwhelmed by this, but I'll give it a chance and hope for the best. I'd really like to know what other avenues, if any, were explored because if this was the plan all along (and it sure feels that way) that's criminally negligent.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, I get how this can come across as a lazy PR type of hire.

However, when you boil off all of the sentimental stuff, Ruff is still a solid, proven NHL Head Coach.  It works for me.

When you boil that off you get a coach who's only made the playoffs in 3 of what 8 years? Never passed round what? 2, 1?