NHL Playoffs (First Round) discussion

SwampD

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Bruins doing their frequent post season choke. 

I don't mind them losing but to the Leafs? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. 

I hate the Leafs more than anybody. 

Do you attend Sabres home games against the Leafs? I hate the Bruins and Flyers so much more than the Leafs. I might even dislike the Sens more than the Leafs.  The Sabres kicked their ass for over a decade.  I just don’t really care about them.  

Now if I attended games where it’s the majority of fans are from the great white north, I may have a different opinion.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Do you attend Sabres home games against the Leafs? I hate the Bruins and Flyers so much more than the Leafs. I might even dislike the Sens more than the Leafs.  The Sabres kicked their ass for over a decade.  I just don’t really care about them.  

Now if I attended games where it’s the majority of fans are from the great white north, I may have a different opinion.  

Yeah, I can’t really see a scenario where Im ever rooting for the Bruins to win anything.  And Sens are definitely higher than the Leafs on my hate meter.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yeah, I can’t really see a scenario where Im ever rooting for the Bruins to win anything.  And Sens are definitely higher than the Leafs on my hate meter.

I know it’s been a while now, but I still think of Toronto as being in the Norris. I’ll probably never go to another sabre home game, so the taking over the arena thing doesn’t really matter to me. 

50 minutes ago, shrader said:

I know it’s been a while now, but I still think of Toronto as being in the Norris. I’ll probably never go to another sabre home game, so the taking over the arena thing doesn’t really matter to me. 

A real rivalry requires hate going both ways.  Maybe it’s the Norris thing, or maybe it’s because we’re just that poor city over the border, but there has never been any real emotion coming back from Toronto.  Buffalo is just another team in the league to them.  It’s hard to have a rivalry when the other side is like, “who”?

51 minutes ago, Weave said:

A real rivalry requires hate going both ways.  Maybe it’s the Norris thing, or maybe it’s because we’re just that poor city over the border, but there has never been any real emotion coming back from Toronto.  Buffalo is just another team in the league to them.  It’s hard to have a rivalry when the other side is like, “who”?

Gotta kick their butts in the playoffs for the next few years to get their attention.

Sabres have to get there first, though.

4 hours ago, inkman said:

I don't attend them since I live in BC. I almost went to the Seattle game this year but it didn't time out well. Won't pay for Canucks prices until Sabres get better. 

My hatred for the Leafs is a Hamilton-Toronto thing that started way back in my youth over 50 years ago. 

I understand Sabres fans hate for Boston (although their fans now say what you say about the Leafs as in Bruins have kicked their ass for over a decade so they don't care about them). Flyers? Cup final? That's a long time ago so I've let that one go myself. You should probably hate Carolina and Dallas more. 

Why not Rags and Islanders hate being in the same state and all? 

idk if I lived in Buffalo I think I would hate the Leafs and the Habs the most. Mostly because of all those coming over and overrunning those "home" games. That just embarrasses the entire franchise imo. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't attend them since I live in BC. I almost went to the Seattle game this year but it didn't time out well. Won't pay for Canucks prices until Sabres get better. 

My hatred for the Leafs is a Hamilton-Toronto thing that started way back in my youth over 50 years ago. 

I understand Sabres fans hate for Boston (although their fans now say what you say about the Leafs as in Bruins have kicked their ass for over a decade so they don't care about them). Flyers? Cup final? That's a long time ago so I've let that one go myself. You should probably hate Carolina and Dallas more. 

Why not Rags and Islanders hate being in the same state and all? 

idk if I lived in Buffalo I think I would hate the Leafs and the Habs the most. Mostly because of all those coming over and overrunning those "home" games. That just embarrasses the entire franchise imo. 

Boston hatred comes from a myriad of things as well as being in our division forever. The Patriots hate also festered the disdain.

Philly hate originally came from the Cup Finals in 1975 but was reignited in the late 90's when we met them in the playoffs and then ran into them over and over again after; including our most recent one. 

Toronto hate tends to be from two primary factors, distance and their fans. Toronto fans have frequently taken over our seats due to the ever famous example of fans paying off their seasons with the selling of both Leafs game. Which obviously means Sabres fans are gouging Leafs fans and also showing a certain degree of the wealth disparity between the two cities. The fans that don't sell are made aggravated by their presence because unlike the vast majority of away fans; Leaf fans inhabit a very particular type which tends to be loud, proud and arrogant.  I have always described them as Patriots fans without anything to back up their claims. Although the Sabres have beaten up Toronto far more often; their fans always return and claim superiority regardless of circumstances. They also have the habit of stark mood swings depending on results that make any other fanbase look tame and in control. Plus they deem themselves the Hockey Mecca of the world and the media seems to reinforce it quite often. 

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Boston hatred comes from a myriad of things as well as being in our division forever. The Patriots hate also festered the disdain.

Philly hate originally came from the Cup Finals in 1975 but was reignited in the late 90's when we met them in the playoffs and then ran into them over and over again after; including our most recent one. 

Toronto hate tends to be from two primary factors, distance and their fans. Toronto fans have frequently taken over our seats due to the ever famous example of fans paying off their seasons with the selling of both Leafs game. Which obviously means Sabres fans are gouging Leafs fans and also showing a certain degree of the wealth disparity between the two cities. The fans that don't sell are made aggravated by their presence because unlike the vast majority of away fans; Leaf fans inhabit a very particular type which tends to be loud, proud and arrogant.  I have always described them as Patriots fans without anything to back up their claims. Although the Sabres have beaten up Toronto far more often; their fans always return and claim superiority regardless of circumstances. They also have the habit of stark mood swings depending on results that make any other fanbase look tame and in control. Plus they deem themselves the Hockey Mecca of the world and the media seems to reinforce it quite often. 

You're right about the media but it's not just hockey. There's a general media focus on Toronto for everything in Canada. Doesn't help that the CBC is located there. 

and the rest of the country subsequently has some degree of dislike (or even hatred of Toronto) because of that.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

The hatred of Toronto started the day Imlach was signed as Coach and GM, with was essentially Day 1.  We kicked their Azz so many times they fled to the Norris Division, a clearly easier division at the time it was created.  That still didn’t help them.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

That sucks that Nashville lost in the last 2 minutes, creating a series with 2 Canadian teams. Guess I’ll have to root for Vancouver over Edmonton.

Why does that suck? I'll be watching. I'm a fan of Canada.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

ROR lose his love for the game ?

No. He was out there right to the end and he set up a good attempt at a tying goal.  Playing with two lifetime 3rd line grinders in Nyquist and Sissons.  All are 30+.  

It shows in the playoffs that having grown men on the team helps.  We need more.  

17 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

That sucks that Nashville lost in the last 2 minutes, creating a series with 2 Canadian teams. Guess I’ll have to root for Vancouver over Edmonton.

What’s wrong with Canada having teams alive?  It’s their top sport. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Why does that suck? I'll be watching. I'm a fan of Canada.

I like Canada, just not their NHL teams and fans. Especially Toronto and Edmonton. 

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

No. He was out there right to the end and he set up a good attempt at a tying goal.  Playing with two lifetime 3rd line grinders in Nyquist and Sissons.  All are 30+.  

It shows in the playoffs that having grown men on the team helps.  We need more.  

What’s wrong with Canada having teams alive?  It’s their top sport. 

Didn’t you just say that they lost with the “grown men”’ on the team?

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're right about the media but it's not just hockey. There's a general media focus on Toronto for everything in Canada. Doesn't help that the CBC is located there. 

and the rest of the country subsequently has some degree of dislike (or even hatred of Toronto) because of that.

As a Canadian, there ain't ***** going on anywhere other than Toronto.

---

Leafs will win game 7 and get steamrolled by the Panthers. Canes will beat the Rags and lose to the Cats. Vegas will clutch the Stars and demolish the Oilers. Then the Cats will get their first cup in ever.

Now we have to deal with Florida 2.

Edited by seer775

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I’ve had two BC people say you’re from Onterrible to me lately. I had never heard that term, probably because I live here. Both had only been to Toronto and had never seen the rest of the province.

7 hours ago, steveoath said:

Am I reading nhl.com correctly…. Round two will begin before round 1 is over??

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

That’s the way I read it too

Pretty sure that happens every year.