Team make up

inkman

Team Makeup  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer

• As they are constructed now
    • A team of gritty gutty scrappers

No this isn’t a discussion on who has the best eyeliner or foundation (Owen is quite fetching tho) but rather a litmus test of this fanbase.  Would you be happier with a Buffalo Sabres team that lead the league in hits and fights but had the same record they do now?  

I think I get what Inkman is asking.

If you knew your team was going to play .500 hockey and miss the playoffs, would you be more entertained watching a frustratingly streaky offense dominant team like what we have now, or a Ted Nolan type team with a bunch of rabble rousers.

You have to admit, those rabble rousers were entertaining most of the games they played.  This version?  Ehhh not as often.

Loved me some rabble rouser Sabres.  Highly entertaining nearly every night.  Even with the current climate regarding fighting, a team of rats could still bring alot of fans into the arena just for the scrums and emotional play.

In the end, I don’t care.  I’m a broken fan.  Terry has alot of work to do to get me back to what I was.

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think I get what Inkman is asking.

If you knew your team was going to play .500 hockey and miss the playoffs, would you be more entertained watching a frustratingly streaky offense dominant team like what we have now, or a Ted Nolan type team with a bunch of rabble rousers.

You have to admit, those rabble rousers were entertaining most of the games they played.  This version?  Ehhh not as often.

Loved me some rabble rouser Sabres.  Highly entertaining nearly every night.  Even with the current climate regarding fighting, a team of rats could still bring alot of fans into the arena just for the scrums and emotional play.

In the end, I don’t care.  I’m a broken fan.  Terry has alot of work to do to get me back to what I was.

Thanks for describing what I was attempting to but I’m too hungover and sick to illicit coherent thought.  Everyone loves a winner (apparently except for me last night, to be fair I stopped watching at 2-0), but if you want to appeal to WNY fans, make sure you build the kind of team the fans will appreciate. Hard nose players that play the right way, and work hard. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, inkman said:

Thanks for describing what I was attempting to but I’m too hungover and sick to illicit coherent thought.  Everyone loves a winner (apparently except for me last night, to be fair I stopped watching at 2-0), but if you want to appeal to WNY fans, make sure you build the kind of team the fans will appreciate. Hard nose players that play the right way, and work hard. 

Ice Hockey Hug GIF by NHL

5 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Actually a mix of both

This is my actual choice as well. Truly 50/50. Or 60/40 at least. 

Ideally every D pair is a puck mover with a rock solid defender so 3 and 3, and the bottom 6 really hard to play against or if you prefer mixing it top 3 lines of sniper-playmaker-gritty 2 way guy on each and then a gritty 4th line so still 6 and 6. 

This mix is not only the best roster, it is the more sustainable model if your stars demand big paydays and you want to stay cap compliant. 

Consider the best teams in the NHL. They all fit this type of roster model closer than to what we are doing. 

The two choices are not mutually exclusive.  

Get the skill players to play tougher and the tough guys to play with a bit more skill, and now you've got something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If the question is, would I rather root for a team of over-achieving, hard working non-skilled players, or a bunch of under-achieving, highly drafted players, the answer is clear. I'd root for the hard working team.

But, I don't want a team full of Pat Kaletas and Andrew Peters' who can't skate, shoot, and wow me either.

I want a team that I believe will get better over time, not a team that has peaked at .500.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

The two choices are not mutually exclusive.  

Get the skill players to play tougher and the tough guys to play with a bit more skill, and now you've got something.

This is something I can get behind.

The skill guys will play tougher with a few gritty guys around. The grit guys will bang a few in when promoted to a skill line.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, inkman said:

No this isn’t a discussion on who has the best eyeliner or foundation (Owen is quite fetching tho) but rather a litmus test of this fanbase.  Would you be happier with a Buffalo Sabres team that lead the league in hits and fights but had the same record they do now?  

At the end of the day only the results matter, but to answer your question, I might consider them less of a joke if they weren’t more obsessed with giving eachother nicknames than actually competing, and I’d wager that would follow your hypothetical so: yes 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, inkman said:

Agree. I don’t care what the team acts like if they win, but since they lose it’s probably admittedly more annoying that it’s with a guy who names himself the “beast” after 20 starts, a guy who has a tattoo of himself, players who take their frustrations out on the fans, and the rest of the -ys

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Gritty , gutsy, scrappers because the effort should be there. 

…. actually prefer a balanced combination of both. 

Yeah, as many have said you need both.

If you give me the choice of 95 point team with gutsy scrappers, or a 95 point team of fast skating, goal scoring guys, I'll take the latter.  For pure entertainment value, I strongly prefer the 6-5 win over a 3-1 win (even if the 6-5 win is a bit sloppy).  But again, to GET to be that 95 point team you probably want a balace of both.

Edited by mjd1001
  • dislike 1

I didn’t select either option because neither will get the job done. We are so focused on ending the drought but we also don’t want 10 years of getting knocked out in the first round. 

A properly constructed team IMO would include:

Peterka TBD TBD

Benson Thompson Quinn

Greenway Cozens Tuch

TBD Krebs TBD

Dahlin TBD

TBD Byram

Clifton R. Johnson

UPL

Levi

7 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I didn’t select either option because neither will get the job done. We are so focused on ending the drought but we also don’t want 10 years of getting knocked out in the first round. 

A properly constructed team IMO would include:

Peterka TBD TBD

Benson Thompson Quinn

Greenway Cozens Tuch

TBD Krebs TBD

Dahlin TBD

TBD Byram

Clifton R. Johnson

UPL

Levi

The concept of Krebs.