Why should Granato and the assistants be brought back?

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

There will never be a day that we are safe from potential movement since money is all they want. Apathetic fans aren't what new owners want, they want feverish ones wanting to spend money. Utah and Houston would at very least have an initial burst of money in season tickets and the like; akin to Vegas and Seattle. 

Owners don't have pressure outside of their bottom line; if they wish to win championships, they are placing that pressure on themselves.

The NHL does not want to move teams. They want to expand the league to more teams to get the half a billion dollar (probably more, soon) fee.

I can’t believe you would rather have this trash than no team at all.

I’m only watching out of,… duty,… habit,… actually, I don’t even really know why I am watching this garbage anymore. I’d rather have no team at all.

Just now, SwampD said:

The NHL does not want to move teams. They want to expand the league to more teams to get the half a billion dollar (probably more, soon) fee.

I can’t believe you would rather have this trash than no team at all.

I’m only watching out of,… duty,… habit,… actually, I don’t even really know why I am watching this garbage anymore. I’d rather have no team at all.

Your honestly nuts then; I have zero interest in losing my favorite team from my city regardless of how bad they might be. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, thewookie1 said:

Your honestly nuts then; I have zero interest in losing my favorite team from my city regardless of how bad they might be. 

Like I said, a fanbase that doesn’t care about winning.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Pretty much almost every losing team can say this.  And they would all be wrong because they would have played even more games under pressure. 

Handling pressure and playing consistently is what the team lacks.  You cant wait until after the season and make this assessment, it is not being honest.   They did this exact same thing last year and the FO decided to come back with the same team and they played worse. 

They had the best goaltending in the league for 3 months and yet they never gained any significant ground in the standings.  What more do you need?  

They just got buried by a team in their division and far below them in the standings while playing at home when under pressure to win and stay alive.   

They don't have it and they don't deserve to make the playoffs.  

The fact that Terry Pegula extended DG contract too soon is a glaring example of his poor decision making.  We are probably stuck with this coach for another season, unless Terry eats the money and I do not see him doing that.  

From your keyboard to the conference room / phone call where it's being discussed.

More I think about it more I say it's ego not money and ego says we stay the course and victory dance in the end "when i finally stopped listening to the good 'ol boy network of NHL (byslma, "hockey heaven" guy, botteril, krueger, etc) and trusted my gut with guys I know (KA), we came out on top.  Took a couple years longer than expected, as always, thank you fans for your patience."

I will be surprised if there's change.    

Nothing.

I’m sick of rookie coaching staffs, and underachieving “company men”.

I want someone who’ll call out players in public when they don’t show up, and tell the owner mind his own f’ing business, or take the bench himself.

I’m sick of feelgood BS and cuddling.

Will it push this team over the hump? No freakin’ clue, but cuddling and feelgood BS sure as ***** hasn’t either, so have at it I say.

• Agree 1

Let's talk about the Nashville Predators. An organization that is run by adults like Barry Trotz and Andrew Burnette (Burnette btw, is the same coach that made Florida really good, then the Devils, and now the Predators in consecutive years). 

https://www.wate.com/sports/ap-sports/ap-nashville-predators-are-16-0-2-since-their-trip-to-see-u2-in-vegas-was-canceled/#:~:text=AP Sports-,Nashville Predators are 16-0-2 since their trip to,U2 in Vegas was canceled&text=Barry Trotz watched his Nashville,the Sphere in Las Vegas.

Barry Trotz watched his Nashville Predators lose a game at home 9-2, their second consecutive defeat and a third poor effort in a row and he decided they’d be better without a trip to see U2 perform at the Sphere in Las Vegas.

Trotz talked it over with coach Andrew Brunette, called captain Roman Josi to tell him the plan to go to Vegas early was off and pulled the plug because the team’s play wasn’t up to par.

“Just as a team, you have to earn the right,” Trotz recalled. “It’s a big expense, and we said, ‘No, it’s not acceptable,’ and we made a decision to come back.”

The Predators were 16-0-2 after that moment. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

if the players really like DG, they have a funny way of showing it. 

They don't. Let's get real. Put a couple beers in most them and they'd admit they want a real coach just like we do.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

That's fair but you can see the headlines "pegula misses again" and "who would want that job" staying the course is easier for him. Dude is like 70 when I'm 70 I'm hoping for zero stress.  I guess that's the argument for sale, he's not up for the task.  

Who cares about headlines... they mean nothing. Only winning will cure the headlines. Worried about headlines when the news media is an absolute troll fest to begin with and doesn't even matter in today's day. This is all just made up excuses that are not real.

Media-doesnt matter been bad for years

Embarrassed-doesn't matter been Embarrassed for years

Stress-the guy owns many different companies I doubt his stress would be much different. 

These are lazy excuses.

Edited by Demoted

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Like I said, a fanbase that doesn’t care about winning.

So according to you, losing the team is fine as long as they win. Well let me inform you that losing the team is the biggest loss you can possibly have.

3 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

I support his dismissal.  But the answer is easy, the players appear to like him and the price is right.

Of course they like him. He doesn't make them work and doesn't hold them accountable. What's not to like if you're a floater?

Granato is one of the worst coaches currently employed in the NHL. Continuing with him is absurd. He has done nothing to justify that. We are underperforming to the level of talent on the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

- Enough anger towards the Sabres may spur some additional spending on PSL's for the Bills? 

- The town could use more breweries, I drink more when I am sad, and I am more sad when I watch the Sabres. 

- Maybe we can reduce the fanbase just a little bit more so that the team can start playing in the Harbor Center. That would free up the calendar for KBC to make room for a 10 year Taylor Swift residency. 

Edited by Mango

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

They don't. Let's get real. Put a couple beers in most them and they'd admit they want a real coach just like we do.

And if they don’t I don’t want them here. 

Id be very interested to be a fly on the wall in Clifton and Bryam’s exit interviews. I doubt either will stick their neck on the line, but they should no doubt have some important perspective. 

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd love to make Granato Head of Player Development because he's really good at the micro-development of each player. The issue is he's not a great head coach

One BIG problem is that player development coaches are entry level positions

Peca did that in Washington about 4 years ago.  

• Adam Mair: Director of Player Development
  • Tim Kennedy: Development Coach
  • Zach Redmond: Development Coach
  • Seamus Kotyk: Goaltending Development Coach 

24 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

So according to you, losing the team is fine as long as they win. Well let me inform you that losing the team is the biggest loss you can possibly have.

If you’re not willing to chant out against 13 years of futility because you’re afraid of losing the team, then you don’t care if they lose because having the team is what is important, not the result. 

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd love to make Granato Head of Player Development because he's really good at the micro-development of each player. The issue is he's not a great head coach

Is there any proof of this? I’ve seen this a ton on the board. I don’t think he’s made many, if any, positive contributions to these players. I see very few players who are better at hockey or significantly ahead of their previous trajectory without DG.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Id be very interested to be a fly on the wall in Clifton and Bryam’s exit interviews. I doubt either will stick their neck on the line, but they should no doubt have some important perspective. 

Hell, why doesn't some crack reporter from the BN just come out and ask them about missing the playoffs?   Ask what the team is missing?  Ask them what they think needs to happen to get the Boston/Avalanche level?   

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Granato has done all the good he can do.  

He is a one-on-one players coach.  In this role he can get individual players to be better. 

He does not have an NHL system.  The BS about putting in defense after they learn offense was rubbish.   You all see the results.  

He cannot coach special teams, and he cannot find anyone else that can. 

His game day coaching, adjustments, use of timeouts, handling of goalies - all below the NHL standard. 

His coaching staff is lousy.  Mike Weber and Michael Peca left Rochester for NHL positions, and Granato stayed with his band of misfits.  The Power Play speaks for itself and that alone is a fireable offense.  

Granato is nice but he s stale.  Imlach, Bowman, Muckler, and Ruff could all be mean.  It is time for mean.   At some point mean will become stale, but this team needs a kick in the ass to shift their mindset.  

They need to care.  They need to be able to play physically.  Whats the point of making the playoffs if when we get there we get absolutely smashed in actual playoff hockey.  And its not just... "hitting".  Its fighting through checks, fighting through sticks, playing with jam, getting pucks to the net, backskating hard, backchecking more effectively.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Clifton will say "obviously it was a disappointing year and something I'm not used to but I'm excited about next year as we have a lot of good guys here........." etc. as he takes his pay to the bank, enjoys his time off, and makes plans for leaving town in 2 years.

Byram will say "it's disappointing not to be in the playoffs but I'm looking forward to playing with these guys next year for a full season. I think we can be a really good team here..............." etc. as he calls his agent and makes plans for a tough negotiation and contract hold out or trade. 

The "next year" stuff will all be very predictable. 

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Hell, why doesn't some crack reporter from the BN just come out and ask them about missing the playoffs?   Ask what the team is missing?  Ask them what they think needs to happen to get the Boston/Avalanche level?   

The why in this is a very important question. Let’s not forget what our ownership thinks of our beat reporters.