Why should Granato and the assistants be brought back?

LGR4GM

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Whatever should happen, what will happen is Granato will be back with a few new assistants, most significantly Seth Appert, who will be the coach in waiting if the Sabres are sucking in November.

That’s how Adams rolls.

200.gif?cid=60e32e6769bva8v7v4vokajoxmfh

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Didn’t see it upthread so I looked it up. The Sabres three assistant coaches (ex-Bales) had a combined 3 years of coaching experience at the NHL level prior to joining the Sabres staff. All by Wilford as an assistant w/Anaheim. Two never played in the NHL. No one should be surprised by the on-ice results.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Didn’t see it upthread so I looked it up. The Sabres three assistant coaches (ex-Bales) had a combined 3 years of coaching experience at the NHL level prior to joining the Sabres staff. All by Wilford as an assistant w/Anaheim. Two never played in the NHL. No one should be surprised by the on-ice results.

And yet Mike Peca and Mike Weber could not crack that group?   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

And yet Mike Peca and Mike Weber could not crack that group?   

Prior to this year, Weber and Peca had zero experience coaching in the NHL and far less overall coaching experience than Wilford or Christie. I’m not defending our staff, but at this point they are quite a bit more experienced as NHL assistants than Peca or Weber (in other words, experience is not a supportive argument for having replaced anyone on our staff with Peca or Weber). 

More broadly, I do agree the lack of NHL coaching experience on our staff has been an issue (though, our assistants now have over 12 years of NHL experience combined). The best supporting example is Jon Cooper’s start in Tampa. Prior to taking over, Cooper had zero NHL experience as either a player or coach. I’m not sure whose decision it was, but for his first 5 years as coach of the Lightning he had Rick Bowness as an assistant. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Prior to this year, Weber and Peca had zero experience coaching in the NHL and far less overall coaching experience than Wilford or Christie. I’m not defending our staff, but at this point they are quite a bit more experienced as NHL assistants than Peca or Weber (in other words, experience is not a supportive argument for having replaced anyone on our staff with Peca or Weber). 

More broadly, I do agree the lack of NHL coaching experience on our staff has been an issue (though, our assistants now have over 12 years of NHL experience combined). The best supporting example is Jon Cooper’s start in Tampa. Prior to taking over, Cooper had zero NHL experience as either a player or coach. I’m not sure whose decision it was, but for his first 5 years as coach of the Lightning he had Rick Bowness as an assistant. 

Peca had developmental coach experience with Washington prior to joining the Amerks.  Weber already had time in Rochester.  

Both were poached from AHL because they are promising.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Peca had developmental coach experience with Washington prior to joining the Amerks.  Weber already had time in a Rochester.  

Both were poached from AHL because they are promising.  

For sure. Im not saying they aren’t worthy. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

It should also be noted that the staff now has over 12 years of unsuccessful NHL coaching experience. How much more do we need to see?

A Peca would be (would have been) a good add if joined by a couple seasoned and capable assistant coaches.

Didn’t realize that about Cooper. Must be an outlier, no?

7 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

It should also be noted that the staff now has over 12 years of unsuccessful NHL coaching experience. How much more do we need to see?

A Peca would be (would have been) a good add if joined by a couple seasoned and capable assistant coaches.

He was in law school when he started playing hockey. Practiced law for 5 years when started coaching HS Hockey in Michigan. 
He won championships in the NAHL, USHL and AHL and was coach of the year in each league as well.

Ironically he has not won the Jack Adams award. 

He is definitely an outlier 

20 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Cooper probably was a bit of an outlier, and he has proven to be a good coach.

But it probably helped him 'ease' into the league when his first full season, he had a Stamkos in the prime years of his career, Kucherov entering the league, a young Alex Killorn who was already a good and productive 2 way player,  Hedman with a few years experience approaching norris trophy level play, Martin St. Louis still scoring at a nearly 40 goal per 82 pace, and Ben Bishop giving you Vezina level goaltending (he was a finalist), oh, and you had the 2nd and 3rd place guys in rookie of the year voting (Palat and Johnson)

Again, Cooper is a great coach, but he was eased into the league with probably the best scorer at the time (Well, Stamkos and Ovi were neck and neck then), a HOF player still producing and a great leader at the top of your roster, great goaltending, a guy who was turning into the best D-man in the league, and 3 high talented rookies at the bottom or our roster.

FWIW Jeff Marek put in Hus Rink Fries Weekly Blog he wonders if Seth Appert and a veteran assistant would be the direction the Sabres go if they move on from Granato. He is the first national media member to bring up Appert 

So the only valid reason to bring Granato back is the contract extension they gave him last year.🤬

40 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

FWIW Jeff Marek put in Hus Rink Fries Weekly Blog he wonders if Seth Appert and a veteran assistant would be the direction the Sabres go if they move on from Granato. He is the first national media member to bring up Appert 

Veteran Assistant=Matt Ellis😜

Appert would most likely be the move especially if they go another couple rounds this post season.

I want to see a departure from the Sabres norm.  Berube, Boudreau, a successful coach let go by another organization this offseason. A move that says that Terry has had enough and wants to get serious about fixing this mess.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I want to see a departure from the Sabres norm.  Berube, Boudreau, a successful coach let go by another organization this offseason. A move that says that Terry has had enough and wants to get serious about fixing this mess.

I’ll prefer this.  But if the org is insistent on keeping Granato it has to be on the condition he has a Rick Bowness type assistant and a another veteran assistant coach.  I might be OK with bringing Appert up as long as there is well tenured, successful coach (in the NHL) as the other assistant.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Here we go 

22 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I would need him to bring in veteran coaches with Cup experience either coaching or playing and 5+ years of NHL level coaching experience. 

21 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

So the only valid reason to bring Granato back is the contract extension they gave him last year.🤬

Veteran Assistant=Matt Ellis😜

Appert would most likely be the move especially if they go another couple rounds this post season.

I would prefer a veteran NHL coach as well. If that means that Appert ends up as the GMs assistant coach pick fine. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I would need him to bring in veteran coaches with Cup experience either coaching or playing and 5+ years of NHL level coaching experience. 

I would prefer a veteran NHL coach as well. If that means that Appert ends up as the GMs assistant coach pick fine. 

Prefacing this with I don’t want Lindy back in any role, but would you accept Lindy coming back in an associate role or would he not qualify?  

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Prefacing this with I don’t want Lindy back in any role, but would you accept Lindy coming back in an associate role or would he not qualify?  

like you I dont want him back in any role, that makes the temptation to make him head coach too strong for Terry. 

Would he qualify, yes. 

23 hours ago, Brawndo said:

And let’s hope he’s not brought up again. The only way I would consider Appert is if, once Adams signs some winning vets, we give Donnie a 10-15 game trial at the beginning of next season and he fails. Then fire Meatballs and give the interim tag to Appert.