The Jeff Skinner decision

Crusader1969

Im trying to think about a line of 

Skinner   Krebs   Greenway 

I will like it better by upgrading Krebs with a 29 year old Vet  Chandler Stephenson comes to mind as a UFA but maybe a trade could bring in someone who makes $4 to $5 million and not upset the apple cart with $14mill allocated to Cozens and Tage.

50 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:
1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I'll also add that Skinner scored 40, 33, and 35 in non-Krueger years and is scoring at a 30 goal pace this year.

and its got the Sabres no where   

That's the age-old argument of if the team sucks, blame the best player.  That makes no sense.  A lot of people said the Sabres didn't win because of Eichel.  They trade Eichel and he wins the Cup.  Hmm.  Guess it wasn't Eichel.

Jeff Skinner is not the reason for the Sabres' lack of success.  He's not a perfect player but he produces points, which every team needs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I like to say I've been very hard on Tuch this year.   His unwillingness to stand in front of the net on the PP is my biggest peeve. I would have him off PP1 all together. 
And dont get me started on his unwillingness to use his frame to throw a check on a defender.

I think it was the last game or two I questioned if he (Tuch) was the most in accurate passer on the team.

Krebs can be easily disposed and doesnt make $9million. Also, I dont think his effort needs to be questioned as it is the Skinner

Idc if Krebs gives effort because he isn't effective in the offensive zone, at all. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

If you think the guy they put in to replace him isn't going to "hurt" us more than Skinner, I think you've got another thing coming.

He's flawed, he's not great defensively, but he's still better than any free agent JAG Adams has brought in since he's been here.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Jeff Skinner is not the reason for the Sabres' lack of success.  He's not a perfect player but he produces points, which every team needs.

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If you think the guy they put in to replace him isn't going to "hurt" us more than Skinner, I think you've got another thing coming.

He's flawed, he's not great defensively, but he's still better than any free agent JAG Adams has brought in since he's been here.

image.png

It's ... cozy in this world of 90 points or fewer.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

What's strange around here is everyone up in arms over Jeff Skinner and his 24g, 21a in 64game season to date but very little around here about Peyton Krebs who in 70 games has 4g, 11a which is 5g and 3a less than 18yr old Zach Benson. Krebs either hits next year or they need to think about moving on from him. Noah Östlund is coming and I'd bet money I can get him to give me 15pts a year so why pay Krebs? 

krebs doesnt make 9 million a year. probably mostly answers your nonsensical inquiry

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

In the most important games of the season Skinner is dropped down to the 3rd line. 
they have Greenway on the 1st line but, I think we can agree ,he is better suited for the 3rd line 

begs the question.  What to do with Jeff Skinner in the summer ? 
has a NTC, gets paid $9 for 3 more years, his defensive game is adequate at best.  
he is the teams oldest forward and isn't a great example for how the game should be played to the young  players.  At least in my opinion.

It's being done to balance out the lines.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

That's the age-old argument of if the team sucks, blame the best player.  That makes no sense.  A lot of people said the Sabres didn't win because of Eichel.  They trade Eichel and he wins the Cup.  Hmm.  Guess it wasn't Eichel.

I wonder what Skinners net effect is? yes he scores but how many does he give up? 

Look at this last road trip.   As big as they come for the Sabres

He Scores 3 in a 6-2 route of SEA but puts up 0 points in the other 4

If I look back over 2024:

I really think this is damning about Skinner 

He has 18 points in 29 games in total BUT  in the games  decided by 2 goals or less (16 of the 29 games)  he has 2 goals and 1 assist.  So yes he scores but almost all his damage (7G 8A) is done in games that are lopsided   11 of those points are in 6-1 win over MTL , 6-2 vs SEA and 7-2 vs LV    To take it one step further in games decided by 3 goals or less (23 of last 29) he has contributed 3G and 4A. Not nearly good enough.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What's strange around here is everyone up in arms over Jeff Skinner and his 24g, 21a in 64game season to date but very little around here about Peyton Krebs who in 70 games has 4g, 11a which is 5g and 3a less than 18yr old Zach Benson. Krebs either hits next year or they need to think about moving on from him. Noah Östlund is coming and I'd bet money I can get him to give me 15pts a year so why pay Krebs? 

Krebs is Tyson Jost 2.0. I just wish they'd realize it sooner rather than later and include him in a package deal as opposed to waiving him outright at some point down the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Idc if Krebs gives effort because he isn't effective in the offensive zone, at all. 

Splice Krebs and Skinner together and you'd have a pretty decent hockey player.

Last Stop Mirror GIF by Xbox

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I wonder what Skinners net effect is? yes he scores but how many does he give up? 

Look at this last road trip.   As big as they come for the Sabres

He Scores 3 in a 6-2 route of SEA but puts up 0 points in the other 4

If I look back over 2024:

I really think this is damning about Skinner 

He has 18 points in 29 games in total BUT  in the games  decided by 2 goals or less (16 of the 29 games)  he has 2 goals and 1 assist.  So yes he scores but almost all his damage (7G 8A) is done in games that are lopsided   11 of those points are in 6-1 win over MTL , 6-2 vs SEA and 7-2 vs LV    To take it one step further in games decided by 3 goals or less (23 of last 29) he has contributed 3G and 4A. Not nearly good enough.

I don't know...Skinner has 12.5% of his goals as game winning goals.  Historically for his career with the Sabres the number is about the same.  As a ratio of percentage of game winning goals to game winning goal percentage, its about average (meaning better teams with more wins have a greater chance of each goal being a game winning goal due to more wins).  Overall, he's not 'clutch' but hes not 'anti-clutch'. 

Skinner can produce points when he gets hot. I think he needs to go because his $9 million needs to be used for the UPLs, JJs and Quinn’s of the world.

Krebs can go as well.  If Russo is correct and the Wild are looking to move Rossi I would hope the jump on that. His 2 way game is great and would really compliment Tage and Cozens while Östlund marinates.

I

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Skinner is a 46.2% expected goal player 5 on 5 this year... Not great, but not terrible either.

On the other hand, here's our entire team 5 on 4. In what world do we buy this out.

Screenshot_20240327-174137.thumb.png.109899ec9fe42f3a098ac76c4e328ea8.png

It's unfortunate that the game isn't played on a spreadsheet I suppose 

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Skinner doesn't seem to be able to score as much without being with Tuch and Thompson but his play on the ice, all the other little things you need to do he sucks at plus he's one of the biggest floaters I've ever seen. Krebs is a 4th line player who shouldn't even be on this team, if he's re-signed again next season I'll continue to have 0 faith in this organization. 

9 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

In the most important games of the season Skinner is dropped down to the 3rd line. 
they have Greenway on the 1st line but, I think we can agree ,he is better suited for the 3rd line 

begs the question.  What to do with Jeff Skinner in the summer ? 
has a NTC, gets paid $9 for 3 more years, his defensive game is adequate at best.  
he is the teams oldest forward and isn't a great example for how the game should be played to the young  players.  At least in my opinion.

buy out. just like that. 

To the second sentence though I don't agree that greenway is suited for the 3rd line. The numbering maybe doesn't matter but if your lines are numbered down by ice time (1st line gets the most) Greenway, on this roster is most suited as a complimentary second line piece. They seem to be stuck on balancing lines rather than assigning roles and it's a strategy I disagree with. How the players fit together in their roles matters more to me than isolated individual ability. Skinner is of no value to me. 

1000 games this year (are they having a celebration?) and not one playoff game. Is that just bad luck or is it partly because of him? I know my answer.  

• Agree 1

On a team that has big trouble scoring goals, Jeff Skinner is not the biggest problem. 

He is a limited player but he brings more than a lot of the guys on this team. 

The facts are we have a weak forward group.  Last year we thought we had this highly potent scoring machine.  Well the rest of the league has figured some things out, and several players are having down years, and the Sabres coaching staff has no answers.   But yet Skinner plugs along on pace for 30 goals once again.  

I think we have one more year to go on that crazy contract, then we can look at a buyout.  

If I was Skinner I would be begging for a trade to a contending team and willing to rework the contract.   He has to be sick of losing.  If he isn't, then that is most likely his problem as a player.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm for buying him out.  No spreadsheets needed really. I'm not listing anyone as "untouchable" but... to just keep bringing back people and not shaking up the roster is a little wild to me when the team never wins anything.  It makes signing a FA wing/center challenging since the top 6 has tuch, skinner, jjp, quinn, cozens, thompson- with benson also right in the mix.  

Players I'd like to move on from - Krebs, Girgs, VO, Skinner, Robinson, Jokiharju, Clifton.  Honestly I'm open to Tuch too.  His contract is cheap and that has value to a team trying to maybe shed salary.  

As for filling in those spots?  I don't think you can just plug in prospects and expect to improve.  Maybe 1 or 2?  But somethings gotta give here.  You need to find NHL talent, and you need to use a deep prospect pool to get it.  You have too many puck moving lefties (dahlin, power, byram) - so move johnson somehow.  You have too many forwards at the same ages - you need to move some to try and add talent into the top-6.  There's not enough room on a roster for kulich, rosen, Östlund, wahlberg, savoie, whomever else you want to throw in there. 

Top 6 needs a shake-up badly, and the bottom 6 probably feels like a better home for someone like cozens until he can prove otherwise.  They also need... considerably more toughness.  And not people to hit and fight, but a coaching staff that makes these guys fight through checks, skate back on defense, backcheck effectively, etc.  Not to mention... playing faster.  This team is fast, but they play slow.