Is Quinn done for the Year?

Flashsabre

I'm purely speculating, but if he's close in the last two weeks or so and we're only a couple of points out he comes back. If we're out of it, maybe it's next year, although they did say he would be back in all likelihood this season.

• Like (+1) 1

They said 6-8 weeks. Think he is still a few weeks away from 8 weeks isn't he?

Yup I just checked...8 weeks from Jan 29th is March 25th, so still around 2 weeks.

I doubt they keep him out...for what reason?

Edited by Big Guava
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Initial estimate at time of surgery on 1/29 was out eight weeks, which would be 3/25.  NHL.com reported a recovery time on 2/4 at 6-8 weeks, which could be as early as 3/17.

We've got two games before 3/17 and six games before 3/25.  Ten games follow 3/25.  Seeing as it's estimated we need at least 24 points on 16 games, even if we get as little as four points in the next six games, we could theoretically bring Quinn back to win out the remaining ten games.

I think you see Quinn again this season unless there's a medical setback that pushes his return way past 3/25.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Initial estimate at time of surgery on 1/29 was out eight weeks, which would be 3/25.  NHL.com reported a recovery time on 2/4 at 6-8 weeks, which could be as early as 3/17.

We've got two games before 3/17 and six games before 3/25.  Ten games follow 3/25.  Seeing as it's estimated we need at least 24 points on 16 games, even if we get as little as four points in the next six games, we could theoretically bring Quinn back to win out the remaining ten games.

I think you see Quinn again this season unless there's a medical setback that pushes his return way past 3/25.

...or unless the Sabres stumble and drop back in the pack.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

...or unless the Sabres stumble and drop back in the pack.

I think generally the way it works is they play if they are ready. Don’t rush it, but if you are physically ready you are physically ready: if the doctor says you aren’t risking further injury. At the end of the day it’s still a job: they are paid handsomely to play and the paying customers fork over for what is ultimately an entertainment product 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 4

Adams said at the deadline press conference that they would be careful with him and not rush him. If it’s up to him, he’ll play when ready. The team will only let him play if they are comfortable he’s ready. My guess is he only plays if they are in the playoff race.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Too late to impact this season.  I hope he has better luck than Muel, but I fear that both are going to be injury prone the rest of their careers.  

But he will help in the playoffs.  😉 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

I seem to recall a local Sabres reporter mention on the Twitters (a few days ago, maybe) that Quinn is done for the year.

Maybe Adams wanted wiggle room in his statement, and the reporter doesn’t need wiggle room.  Maybe it was an educated guess.  Maybe he was fed different info than Adams stated.

Dont know.  Dont care.  Just posting something I recall scrolling across.

Edited by Weave

If he is ready/not injured anymore, I would like to see him get a least a game or two of actual competition.  Again, if he doesn't have greater a chance of re-injury.  Just to get him in NHL game action now, so when training camp hits its not a 'hasn't played in 6 months' type of thing with him.

49 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Too late to impact this season.  I hope he has better luck than Muel, but I fear that both are going to be injury prone the rest of their careers.  

Feel the same. Let him rehab and be fully ready for next season. Another injury may permanently affect any future with this team. Lots of upcoming prospects and only so many spots on the active roster. 

Ones best ability is availability. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

43 minutes ago, Weave said:

I seem to recall a local Sabres reporter mention on the Twitters (a few days ago, maybe) that Quinn is done for the year.

Maybe Adams wanted wiggle room in his statement, and the reporter doesn’t need wiggle room.  Maybe it was an educated guess.  Maybe he was fed different info than Adams stated.

I'd think some combo of the NHLPA and NHL Cap Hyenas don't want GMs implying that they're going to sit someone who is ready to play. The Sabres are not Vegas, after all.

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Don Granato was asked on WGR about Quinn. He said that he was still wearing a boot. It's very doubtful that he will be playing this season. 

Even more likely they don't want to say "no way" and leave a little room just in case.

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

I'd think some combo of the NHLPA and NHL Cap Hyenas don't want GMs implying that they're going to sit someone who is ready to play. The Sabres are not Vegas, after all.

Even more likely they don't want to say "no way" and leave a little room just in case.

I'm guessing his recovery is taking longer than expected then.

• dislike 1

34 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

I'm guessing his recovery is taking longer than expected then.

Hard to tell dont know extent of fracture...  it is not the healing so much as stability and pain for high level atheletic event

13 hours ago, Big Guava said:

They said 6-8 weeks. Think he is still a few weeks away from 8 weeks isn't he?

Yup I just checked...8 weeks from Jan 29th is March 25th, so still around 2 weeks.

I doubt they keep him out...for what reason?

If we are out of the playoff hunt it doesn't make sense to get him back for a few meaningless games. Just not worth the risk v reward. A conservative approach to getting to full strength will be better for Quinn in the long run. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Hard to tell dont know extent of fracture...  it is not the healing so much as stability and pain for high level atheletic event

from what i could gather, our sweet prince's ankle/leg injury was similar (identical) to one that my athlete-kid (paternity test remains pending) suffered last year. the 6-8 week timeline caught my eye as that was the precise timeline that my kid was given for a return to training. but, even at the level my kid plays at (mid-major d1), "a return to training" did not mean they were ready for a return to game action. that took a bit longer.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Rather him stay out the rest of the year and rest up for next

If he’s physically healthy, he doesn’t need to “rest”. He’s a kid. What good is that? He’s either full healthy or not. If there’s no greater risk of further injury there’s no reason he shouldn’t play. If the reason is, “so he doesn’t suffer another random injury” that’s not a good reason and not a part of his contract 

• Agree 1