GDT - Red Wings @ Sabres - 7:00 PM (EDT) - Tuesday, March 12, 2024 - MSG

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well that was interesting. 

I don't know what's wrong with them, but Detroit was horrible.  (haha)

The Sabres on the other hand played like the team they are supposed to be building so I guess they are? Well idk, it's an enigma in many ways but there are some players finally going to the front of the net, they played with speed and with a quick exit, and it all seemed to click today. 

So both things can in fact be true. Detroit was bad AND Buffalo was good. 

Now the test is to see if they can bring that or will it against a team that doesn't let you do what you want. They do that, and we might actually have something real. 

Byram is good at what he does. The added D is allowing Clifton to settle into his role properly and he looks more like the Clifton from Boston last year. The only thing I did not like was they ran UPL twice, and we did absolutely nothing about it. That will not take us far if we ever do make the playoffs because you know if we did and UPL was playing well, a team like Florida would be worse than what we saw today. We need to be tougher. 

Happy days today though. 

Dead on UPL deserved better. Red Wings were being purposely *****. 

Byram is no doubt the teams second best d man. (Still don't like trade in a vacuum). But he is way more NHL ready than OP. 

Upside, allows OP to play less and learn properly.

Good game. Goals are fun. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Tonight was the best game I have seen the Buffalo Sabres play this season in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I’d put the 7-2 win over Vegas above this one.

• Agree 1

As Rick Jeanerette once said “There’s room on the believer’s bandwagon.” 

We’re (almost) there. Almost. Just keep playing like this and we’ll get there 

Edited by OverPowerYou

10 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

As Rick Jeanerette once said “There’s room on the believer’s bandwagon.” 

We’re (almost) there. Almost. Just keep playing like this and we’ll get there 

I don't mind willful suspension of disbelief under these circumstances. After all, we are here merely to be entertained. If you can enjoy films featuring people who were subjected to gamma rays or radioactive spider bites, you sure as soot can enjoy Sabres hockey!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

got a feeling about this one,  7-2 Sabres

Thompson x2, Dahlin, JJP, Jost, Skinner, and Byram with goals.

Bump this comment. This guy needs to predict more Sabres games. This was close 

6 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

IF we do make the playoffs, and it’s a long shot, watch us end up playing the Florida Panthers of all teams and get swept by Kyle Okposo. That would be so Buffalo 

Then we can move on from getting cranked by our playoff drought to getting cranked by our playoff series win drought.

Can someone explain where that jump was for the prior 60 games?

Byram is very good at hockey.  The forwards are still a mess, but Byram, Dahlin and the rest of the D group are really stepping up their game.  That said, I thought Benson and Greenway may have played their best games of the season tonight.

I would have liked to see the team step up and protect UPL a little better.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Byram is very good at hockey.  The forwards are still a mess, but Byram, Dahlin and the rest of the D group are really stepping up their game.  That said, I thought Benson and Greenway may have played their best games of the season tonight.

This is the long standing question isn't it? All teams have slumps here and there but the inconsistency of this team is mind boggling. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well that was interesting. 

Byram is good at what he does. The added D is allowing Clifton to settle into his role properly and he looks more like the Clifton from Boston last year. The only thing I did not like was they ran UPL twice, and we did absolutely nothing about it. That will not take us far if we ever do make the playoffs because you know if we did and UPL was playing well, a team like Florida would be worse than what we saw today. We need to be tougher. 

Happy days today though. 

Spot on.  I only watched the 10minute summary of this game but I was mad when UPL was run over and no one even pushed the guy around.  UPL as a starter, in a proper 2 goalie rotation, has proven himself after the new year.  He is the main reason the Sabres have been competitive in these games lately.

BB4 is doing exactly what I expected him to do and is looking good doing it.  I had a bit of a chuckle this afternoon thinking about all the posters upset about the straight up Mitts-BB4 trade.  We finally have a solid top 4 D (yes they aren’t perfect right now, but they should only get better) and people still were upset about trading a perennial 15g/season 2nd/3rd line center that was sub-50% on draws.  BB4 is the real deal, hopefully he stays healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Has Donny finally figured it out, or is this dumb luck because Kyle and EJ are gone so he has to use different skaters. The line combos and ice time per player indicate he’s reassessed his players, at least Skinner…

1 minute ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Spot on.  I only watched the 10minute summary of this game but I was mad when UPL was run over and no one even pushed the guy around.  UPL as a starter, in a proper 2 goalie rotation, has proven himself after the new year.  He is the main reason the Sabres have been competitive in these games lately.

When people (including myself) wonder where this effort was over the first part of the year I do wonder if at times they quit because they felt they had no hope with the goaltending and now that UPL has been good they feel, hey we can win with him, and so they play harder. That could be a thing and thus the season falls on KA not getting a veteran goalie and on a lack of good veteran leadership to guide them over those doubt moments. 

KO is clearly not missed, 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Has Donny finally figured it out, or is this dumb luck because Kyle and EJ are gone so he has to use different skaters. The line combos and ice time per player indicate he’s reassessed his players, at least Skinner…

Byram is a big piece.  He attacks every shift and this is something the Sabres need and have needed.  

It's also getting rid of dead wood, which is something I was hoping KA would do last summer and I hope he does this coming summer.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

When people (including myself) wonder where this effort was over the first part of the year I do wonder if at times they quit because they felt they had no hope with the goaltending and now that UPL has been good they feel, hey we can win with him, and so they play harder. That could be a thing and thus the season falls on KA not getting a veteran goalie and on a lack of good veteran leadership to guide them over those doubt moments. 

KO is clearly not missed, 

They did have some really good games early this year (the home game against the Avs was amazing), but followed it up with so many terrible efforts. I think it may be a stretch to blame uncommitted player efforts on a 3 goalie rotation…

KO is an amazing human being, and a solid hockey player, but he was not the leader this team needed. If he was, Eichel would have never aligned himself with Kane, and KO would have been named captain years before he was…

8 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

KO is an amazing human being, and a solid hockey player, but he was not the leader this team needed. If he was, Eichel would have never aligned himself with Kane

Larry David Reaction GIF

I think you're connecting too many dots there.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

They did have some really good games early this year (the home game against the Avs was amazing), but followed it up with so many terrible efforts. I think it may be a stretch to blame uncommitted player efforts on a 3 goalie rotation…

KO is an amazing human being, and a solid hockey player, but he was not the leader this team needed. If he was, Eichel would have never aligned himself with Kane, and KO would have been named captain years before he was…

Okposo arrived via UFA in 2016.
Eichel, Kane and Bogosian’s relationship was already cemented by the time. 

Wings were coming off a losing western road trip, so this is the way the game should have gone.  Credit to the Sabres for playing very well with pace and taking advantage of Detroit’s poor play in general and fatigue.   The Islanders will be coming to Buffalo in the same situation having just finished a western road trip, and where LA shut them out in their last game.  Again, the Sabres need to come out and get an early lead and make the Islanders play catch up while trying to catch their breath.  The difference is the Islanders aren’t generally sliding like the Wings and have good goaltending.  It will probably be a closer game, but the end result has to be the same.  Take advantage of their fatigue.

• Like (+1) 2

Funny I woke up this morning and got on this board and started to look for the same old posters with their "oh Detroit sure were bad and the Sabres got them at the right time blah blah blah".... It is amazing that even when they play really good and win not becuase the other team had a off-night or were tired but that that Sabres werethe BETTER team period, same old posters have to make a positive somewhere into a negative. The team keeps proving with good goaltending they can win. I also think that sometimes minus can be a plus...we lost three players but gained one really good one and Byram is really good and a key piece moving forward. Not sure if we can sign him down the road (hope so)  but for know the team is greatly improved with him in the lineup.

Having played and coached for many years at many differnt levels (I'm old), it is essential that the team feel confident in their goalie. Does not matte rif it is even little boys or girls playing...UPL has become a key piece in the team's success...kudos to him

Edited by sabrefanday1
  • Like (+1) 2