GDT: Oilers at Sabres 3-9-2024 12:30 start MSG

spndnchz

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We’ve been absolute derp this year and are somehow 7 back. They won’t be out of it till it’s over over 

Yup.  They need to ignore all the trade deadline stuff and try to win every game like a real team. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hello Teammates, I missed another game.  Sounds like we won twice. 

UPL is really playing well.  Hard to get too excited anymore but keep the wins coming.  Play to win. 

In the two games that you missed, Toronto and Edmonton, the Sabres played a hard two-way game throughout. Against two high-octane offenses we didn't give them much room to display their offensive talent. Both games were entertaining games. The shame of it is that we didn't play at this level in the first half of the season. 

You know very well that I was a Mitts fan. Getting Byram appears to be a good hockey trade, This guy is good. Our blue line has become good and deep. Our goaltending with UPL has been stellar. In saying that in these two games our team defense and goaltending have led this team is quite a turnaround in how most of us viewed this roster. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yup.  They need to ignore all the trade deadline stuff and try to win every game like a real team. 

(A run right now) annoys me and makes me happy at the same time. I’m not running from it. They’ve earned that sort of emotional reaction. If nothing else, this team has always been complicated. 

And you are completely right. They need to focus on winning 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The end of the game was plain ludicrous 

thankfully we made it not matter standings wise but I do feel bad that Power lost his goal.

Next game will pretty much decide the season, a win against Detroit means we can still go 3-0 against them and as such gain 6 points on them.

Just to add, Skinner was benched almost entirely after the 2-0 SHG and Peterka was benched halfway through the game

31 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

The dude is 20 years old. My God what the hell has happened to the IQ level of posters.

13 years of suck and picking fancy D #1 overall 2x. Sour and impatient are the norm.  As for me, I'm gonna enjoy the honeymoon with #4.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Team falls behind early in games. Just like they start the season flat. Coaching issue 100%

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Things the biggest black mark against the coaching staff. Unacceptable.

It seems almost impossible to ignore. I think they are basically even in the second period in differential, and quite positive in the third.

I’m trying to understand how that wouldn’t scream slow starts, potentially one of the few things you can outright attribute to coaching. 

If I had to guess, there is some “score effects” stuff going on in the third. So it’s probably a little misleading as we are chasing a lot, so it would be a mistake to think it’s purely coaching and not also the roster needing further adjustment 

Edited by Thorny

12 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

The dude is 20 years old. My God what the hell has happened to the IQ level of posters.

Hater was too strong a word… but it was the label @Crusader1969 used in his question… Power was thrown into the deep end and is learning…

I’m not a fan because the kid has no physical game despite his size advantage…

Today for example, our team had 40 Hits and our team physicality was largely responsible for slowing down a faster and more explosive Oiler team… D-man Hits:

Dahlin 7
Jokiharju 4  
Byram 4  
Bryson 0  
Power 0

Bryson played 14 mins… Power played 23 mins…

Maybe I missed it, but have yet to see this kid come to the defense of a teammate despite his size… Power is not an intimidating personality and displays no aggression, and you can’t coach it… 

So, I’ll watch his development… 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

Nothing like bidding against yourself for your own unproven players.

IAmAGreatJudgeOfHockeyTalentOwner…

Rookie GM…

Bad combo.

10 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

Ugh, I guess I’m a Sabres fan again. Tuesday night I’ll be jumping off a bridge. THIS IS DARCY’s SUFFERING 🤣

When Darcy said, "I understand our fan base and I would like to think that people will give up some suffering in order to win a Stanley Cup" I guess by "some suffering" he meant "eternal damnation"'.

• Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The end of the game was plain ludicrous 

thankfully we made it not matter standings wise but I do feel bad that Power lost his goal.

Next game will pretty much decide the season, a win against Detroit means we can still go 3-0 against them and as such gain 6 points on them.

Just to add, Skinner was benched almost entirely after the 2-0 SHG and Peterka was benched halfway through the game

I got plenty of things to smoke but I need some of what you have 

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Was Peterka injured or benched?

Granato said he went with the skaters who were playing… Skinner and Peterka didn’t show enough, apparently

• Thanks (+1) 1

Serious question: Can shootout goals be challenged? Because if so, and Power had scored, I believe it would have been reviewed. I’ll watch again but it sure looked like he drifted slightly backward when crossing the crease. Also need to see again the direction of the puck movement.

Had that happened he surely (insert Airplane! quote here) would have been the first player in NHL history to have both an OT goal and SO goal overturned in the same game, no?

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

13 years of suck and picking fancy D #1 overall 2x. Sour and impatient are the norm.  As for me, I'm gonna enjoy the honeymoon with #4.  

You can’t make this stuff up. A fanbase that would absolutely die to have a gutty, gritty, in your face team and we keep drafting Baryshnikov’s.  Imagine this team if Beniers and Tkachuk were here instead of 25 & 26. 

1 minute ago, JustOneParade said:

Serious question: Can shootout goals be challenged? Because if so, and Power had scored, I believe it would have been reviewed. I’ll watch again but it sure looked like he drifted slightly backward when crossing the crease. Also need to see again the direction of the puck movement.

Had that happened he surely (insert Airplane! quote here) would have been the first player in NHL history to have both an OT goal and SO goal overturned in the same game, no?

Holy ***** does the NHL barely give a flying ***** about this.  Kane, Kuznetsov, they all do it.  

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

You can’t make this stuff up. A fanbase that would absolutely die to have a gutty, gritty, in your face team and we keep drafting Baryshnikov’s.  Imagine this team if Beniers and Tkachuk were here instead of 25 & 26. 

Holy ***** does the NHL barely give a flying ***** about this.  Kane, Kuznetsov, they all do it.  

So is that a yes? Or a no?