Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

On 4/8/2024 at 9:03 AM, oddoublee said:

couldnt agree with you more...our first line is probably best served as a second line on a contending team. as of now, this is what the team realistically looks like from a 'holes' perspective (imo):

1st Line: Peterka   ?   ?

2nd Line: ?   Tage   Tuch

3rd Line: Benson  Cozens  Quinn

4th Line:  Greenway  Krebs  Skinner (i know, i know - prefer he is gone outright, but he wont be)

1st Pair: ?  Dahlin

2nd Pair: Clifton  Bryam

3rd Pair: Joker   Power

Bench: RJ and Rousek

Now sure, we can plug Skinner into the first line, Rosen, Savoie or Kulich into this line or that line and move Tuch up to this line or that and this and that. On D, move RJ up to 3rd pairing and blah blah. Problem is, that is not a winning team under this current coaching staff - or possibly most coaching staffs. It is a middling .500 club. 

Figuring out how to use Skinner is a key because he probably is not going anywhere. 

You missed Samuelsson. If he is there and R Johnson is in the rotation it makes Joker expendable.   We still need a big solid defensive defenseman in the top 4, I don't see that being Byram but that is who Adams brought in.   His contract will be of huge importance. 

At forward the hole left by Mitts is massive.  Cozens simply has to step up next year.  I will bet that they are counting on Cozens, Krebs and a prospect to emerge.   I prefer they bring in at least one solid veteran C.  

At wing they need a power forward and some muscle on the 3rd and 4th line.   

They are close.  Some of the young players will improve.  

Another key is if Levi can play effectively as a backup and play 30 games at a high level.  If he can, we should be good at goalie for a change.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Figuring out how to use Skinner is a key because he probably is not going anywhere. 

You missed Samuelsson. If he is there and R Johnson is in the rotation it makes Joker expendable.   We still need a big solid defensive defenseman in the top 4, I don't see that being Byram but that is who Adams brought in.   His contract will be of huge importance. 

At forward the hole left by Mitts is massive.  Cozens simply has to step up next year.  I will bet that they are counting on Cozens, Krebs and a prospect to emerge.   I prefer they bring in at least one solid veteran C.  

Another key is if Levi can play effectively as a backup and play 30 games at a high level.  If he can, we should be good at goalie for a change.  

Wow...I did forget moose. Must've been subconscious due to flicking ligr in the ear over a hypothetical moose trade I don't really care about. 

Skinner is getting top 9 minutes at a minimum - probably top 6 minutes on this team - very sad, but the roster and his salary will make them (coaching/mngt) do it. I sincerely believe the answer is 3rd line minutes - with extended playing time when the team is down in the 3rd period. You only get 20 goals and 20 assists maximum out of that; but it is the best play for the team. 

The mitts trade is 'probably' going to haunt them the next couple years (assuming that move ends up being made in a vaccum). Bryam is fine - but they are way to deep at LHD AND way to deep with youthful forwards not NHL ready. At a minimum, one of the LHD's has to go to help fill out this roster. I really do not think people should be shocked if they hear rumors that they are trying to move Powers for a first line forward or top 6 center in the offseason. Probably won't happen - but I suspect rumors will come out on it. 

To the players and NHLPA's credit - no movement clauses are being widely used more than ever - and I do believe it is really impacting Adams ability to make a move. I am no apologist of Adams at this point - but he may very well be handcuffed with this current roster. 

Again I did not like this trade...MItts was the perfect 2nd center and every good team is built around strong centers. Skinner scores at a pace that this team desperately needs, and to do what they are doing with him now and basically misuse him is just another in the long line of mistakes this organization continues to make year after year. Heck, if we had kept the players we had over say the last eight years, we'd no doubt be in the playoffs with LIndy still coaching of course. 

Edited by sabrefanday1
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

OMG. This is like Groundhog Day. I swear these exact sentiments were said same time last year. It has to become true at some point though, right?

On 4/15/2024 at 12:53 PM, bob_sauve28 said:

Oof.  My thing on him - he's a fine middle 6 dude.  My issue is - even shooting at his best %... he does not score 20 goals. So either he passes up too many shots, or he can't shoot.  

So we need a Casey Mittelstadt. Fair enough, there were always two parts to that trade. But, let’s ask the question, if we had Casey, would one of our needs be a second pair left shot D with bad analytics?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2024 at 3:27 PM, Thorny said:

So we need a Casey Mittelstadt. Fair enough, there were always two parts to that trade. But, let’s ask the question, if we had Casey, would one of our needs be a second pair left shot D with bad analytics?

And what will it cost to acquire the Mitts replacement in trade and how much will his cap hit be?  

PS: Mitts added 3 assists for the Avs last night.  

Is it just me, or has the board generally had a pretty dramatic swing from “we can afford to trade Mittelstadt” to “we have a giant Mittelstadt-sized hole on the roster”?

Maybe it was more gradual over the past year or so, as Cozens and Tage dropped off and Casey emerged?

From a depth perspective, I would be surprised if 1 or more of Krebs, Kulich, Östlund and Savoie doesn’t emerge as a decent 3C or better.

But I - and I think most of us - would be shocked if any are that this year.

It is my hope that Mitts is replaced not by another Mitts, but by a different kind of 3C: cheaper, edgier, more defensively focused.

With Lindy on board, I don’t think it’s a stretch to target a Gaustad or Hecht type of player.

• Agree 1

I’m more interested in the Byram part of this equation.

How likely are we to see the dangerous Bo of the 1st few games over the majority of the season?

How likely are we to see the overmatched in his own zone Bo that finished the year?

What I saw over his brief stint here wasn’t overly impressive; it gave me Brandon Montour square peg vibes.

At the same time, I’ve seen this kid play at an elite level at the world juniors and in the Stanley Cup finals. He’s got a ton of talent and is a competitor.

Being moved from a Stanley Cup champion to a doormat, after a largely disappointing season playing in a less-than optimal role, dragging his girlfriend from Denver to Buffalo, having to switch to a zone defence after playing man his whole career, and having some kind of family issue playing out behind the scenes are real things.

There should be no issue with the roster fit. He can play on the left side in a top-4 role and add a transition and offensive weapon to augment skilled forwards, without hurting the team defensively. There’s room there and he has the skill set.

There’s a world where his addition cements the Sabres identity as a dangerous, quick-strike, ice-flipping team that kills you from the back end. But he has to get focused and aligned with his coaches. He has to shake off the past, step up and grab the opportunity.

He’s a guy who can be a difference-maker and someone I hope is a priority for Lindy and his staff.

• Like (+1) 6

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m more interested in the Byram part of this equation.

How likely are we to see the dangerous Bo of the 1st few games over the majority of the season?

How likely are we to see the overmatched in his own zone Bo that finished the year?

What I saw over his brief stint here wasn’t overly impressive; it gave me Brandon Montour square peg vibes.

At the same time, I’ve seen this kid play at an elite level at the world juniors and in the Stanley Cup finals. He’s got a ton of talent and is a competitor.

Being moved from a Stanley Cup champion to a doormat, after a largely disappointing season playing in a less-than optimal role, dragging his girlfriend from Denver to Buffalo, having to switch to a zone defence after playing man his whole career, and having some kind of family issue playing out behind the scenes are real things.

There should be no issue with the roster fit. He can play on the left side in a top-4 role and add a transition and offensive weapon to augment skilled forwards, without hurting the team defensively. There’s room there and he has the skill set.

There’s a world where his addition cements the Sabres identity as a dangerous, quick-strike, ice-flipping team that kills you from the back end. But he has to get focused and aligned with his coaches. He has to shake off the past, step up and grab the opportunity.

He’s a guy who can be a difference-maker and someone I hope is a priority for Lindy and his staff.

Great point about how real life events have an impact on players’ lives. I’m convinced that having new infants definitely had an impact on Tuch and Tage this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Is it just me, or has the board generally had a pretty dramatic swing from “we can afford to trade Mittelstadt” to “we have a giant Mittelstadt-sized hole on the roster”?

I always thought moving Mitts was a mistake.  You can see my reaction early in this thread.  I came around to Byram after the first few games, but now I'm cool on him again.  He's certainly no savior.  Hopefully Lindy can get the best out of him.  But I said when Mitts was still with the team, I thought he might be our best forward come playoff time.

I think the argument for trading him is that they've already got two long term, high dollar (although reasonably priced) contracts for centers and didn't think Mitts would be happy with what the offer was going to be.  I think not even engaging him in contract talks (as has been reported) was a huge mistake.  Maybe he would have accepted a similar 7x7 deal.  If so, would that mess up signing other players such as JJP and Quinn?  I dunno.  But I felt that investing all we did in Mitts, then trading him for a D that may or may not be high end was... imprudent at best.  Still I'm waiting to see how it works out.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

some kind of family issue playing out behind the scenes

Hmm?