Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

11 minutes ago, LTS said:

I've heard that part of KA's performance bonus is tied to thread lengths at SabreSpace.

24  25 pages so far on a trade... KA's going to Sizzler.

and I see there was a good squabble and some name calling along the way so that might be a performance bonus extra.

I suppose ultimately KA was a really big fan of the 2021 Canadian World Junior team and wants as much of that roster as he can get. We now have 5 members of that team, I wonder if that's a record? 

22 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Its a stall tactic; even if all three pop off next year we can bridge the two forwards and give Byram a reasonable length deal.

Great theory, but if you are Quinn or JJP, do you want a bridge deal? 

42 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

and I see there was a good squabble and some name calling along the way so that might be a performance bonus extra.

I suppose ultimately KA was a really big fan of the 2021 Canadian World Junior team and wants as much of that roster as he can get. We now have 5 members of that team, I wonder if that's a record? 

I hope they won gold…..

1 hour ago, Tony P said:

Apologies if previously posted as I haven’t read all 24 pages of this thread. For what it’s worth, Per the Hockey News, Cozens and BB are apparently very close. 

https://x.com/michael_traikos/status/1765789993513971943?s=61&t=wwVdMm-nwBS_g0bjJHDbrQ

Apparently all 3 Are best friends 

Hopefully it wakes up cozens and krebs

Edited by Buffalonill

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Amen. I was just saying this to someone at my office: Mitts quietly became the team's best forward on the boards. He'd become so strong on the puck. Tough to move. Very difficult to knock off a spot or knock over.

It's that aspect of his game that convinces me that he'll be a quality playoff performer.

While Mitts improved his play along the boards this year, I think JJP has been the best forward on the boards the past two seasons.  He finally got his due this year, but has so much more to give. 

Mitts is definitely set up for success this year in the playoffs.  He’s gonna do really well. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I wonder how disappointed he is about not being in playoffs this year?

It's an investment.  If he nails down a top pairing spot he'll be better off.  And Sabres something something prospect pool.

1 hour ago, Tony P said:

Apologies if previously posted as I haven’t read all 24 pages of this thread. For what it’s worth, Per the Hockey News, Cozens and BB are apparently very close. 

https://x.com/michael_traikos/status/1765789993513971943?s=61&t=wwVdMm-nwBS_g0bjJHDbrQ

Yeah, it's been covered.  Krebs too.

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Amen. I was just saying this to someone at my office: Mitts quietly became the team's best forward on the boards. He'd become so strong on the puck. Tough to move. Very difficult to knock off a spot or knock over.

It's that aspect of his game that convinces me that he'll be a quality playoff performer.

Are you saying some players actually developed under Granato? 
Black And White No GIF by Laff

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I don't know about "most fans" but Kevyn seems to be thinking that way.

I do get a kick out the fact that, before the deal, we could only hear about how the name of the game is try and “run 4 lines” like the 06 Sabres, how Casey allows us a Roy/Vanek/Pominville line, and now that he’s gone it’s just..”ah, what do we need a good 3C for? Expendable” 

just an observation, no point to make 

Edited by Thorny

My final though here. I'm glad we acquired talent, I don't like the questions that talent has or the fact it isn't at a position of need or a skill need. I like Byram just fine and think he's a very capable 2nd pairing defender, just wish the team building strategy was different. Mitts was a tradeable asset that wasn't used to fix a problem but add to a position of strength. We'll see how Byram does. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Justin C said:

The funny thing is, had the Sabres signed Mitts and he regressed next year, everyone here would have said it was a bad signing and said they would be open to trading him just like they are with Tage this year.

I have no issues with the trade. Team needed a shakeup and I think Thompson and Cozens will rebound next year. Byram hasn’t had a concussion since 2021 unless I’m mistaken.

Absolutely true. And they’d be right to. Unfortunately for Kevyn Adams, and all GMs, hindsight need not apply: it is literally their job to find results, not to “make decisions that seem defensible at the time”. Every GM *thinks* they are making the right move. They are literally judged based on the actual result. That’s why they are paid professionals 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Probably so.    Maybe we can find UFAs that can bolster the forward position.   

Looks like we will be very young at D next season. No one is near their prime years for NHL defenseman.  

Lord help us tho if “who even was there?” gets uttered. If you willingly create a hole, you are amendable to the results regardless of how much the market doesn’t want to hold your hand 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Justin C said:

The funny thing is, had the Sabres signed Mitts and he regressed next year, everyone here would have said it was a bad signing and said they would be open to trading him just like they are with Tage this year.

I have no issues with the trade. Team needed a shakeup and I think Thompson and Cozens will rebound next year. Byram hasn’t had a concussion since 2021 unless I’m mistaken.

Its the way of the board these days. The Sabres as a franchise have earned people being frustrated with them, but unless the Sabres do almost exactly what every individual fan would do, we are going to be flooding this board wth complaints. Negativity has taken over.

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Apropos of Adams loading up on that 2021 Canada World Juniors team:

And

Is Adams doubling down on a weak draft class?

Idk what he's talking about. It's the 2019 draft correct? 27 guys of that draft at 100 or more games. That draft has talent. Also, those players are what? 22 and 23 which means they are only now entering that prime time of 24-28.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

AND Quinn. And Benson. 

I assume he meant pass-first tho, so I prob wouldn’t include Quinn. To me he’s more like a Mark Stone duel threat on each play 

48 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Apropos of Adams loading up on that 2021 Canada World Juniors team:

And

Is Adams doubling down on a weak draft class?

I think the Habs have 5 guys from that draft too 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Its the way of the board these days. The Sabres as a franchise have earned people being frustrated with them, but unless the Sabres do almost exactly what every individual fan would do, we are going to be flooding this board wth complaints. Negativity has taken over.

Lol no. They don’t need to do anything anyone says.

they just need to make the playoffs once 

It is not a “flex” to judge based on actual results.

• Like (+1) 2