Thank you and good luck to Kyle Okposo

dudacek

Yeah thanks Okposo for leading a bunch of losing teams the last few years Bravo 

And he insulted the fans for being upset and booing 

Good riddance and lol @ he deserved better, WHY 

You got one thing right, though. Us fans deserve better 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TageMVP said:

Yeah thanks Okposo for leading a bunch of losing teams the last few years Bravo 

And he insulted the fans for being upset and booing 

Good riddance and lol @ he deserved better, WHY 

You got one thing right, though. Us fans deserve better 

I honestly don't think he's the one who told them not to salute the fans.

The guy has been a model citizen and a warrior for this team for 7+ years, I'm not going to place the Sabres' failures on one guy who certainly didn't glide through unscathed. He's worked hard and nearly died during his time here. 

• Like (+1) 2

He was a dutiful professional and a thoughtful presence in the locker room.

His 7 years here coincided with an historic stretch of futility.

I hope he enjoys a healthy retirement.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t think I’ve ever rooted for an ex-Sabre to win a cup.  Until now that is…

I rooted for Mike Ramsey to win one.  I’ll add Kyle to the list.

People happy to see Kyle go are doing so because of what he wasn’t.  However, what he is is substantial, and will be missed.

Effective 4th liner with enough offense to be a powerplay contributor.

Grizzled pro that taught the kids how to become NHLers

Effective when needed to move up the line up.

Respected around the league.  In this org, that is a feat in and of itself. Don’t underestimate how important this is when every FA of substance has Buffalo on their “no” list.  I know EJ didn’t work out as well as hoped, but we don’t even get him without KO.  He had been an ambassador for the organization at a time where recruitment is tantamount.

Consistently played hard and made himself accountable.

I can’t ignore or forget the health issues he went through and fought back from  as a member of this team.  During the worst era in Buffalo sports Kyle Okposo went through hell and back to continue to be here. He WANTED to be here during this mess. Mad respect.

Assuming we lose Kyle, there is no replacement for what is left of the season that will be as effective as Kyle was.  There is no addition we make this season that is better than Kyle.  No kid is coming in and being more effective than Kyle was.  This loss Will absolutely make us less effective as a team in the short term.  And the only way it improves next season is if Kevyn can find improvement from the outside.  Good luck with that when noone else really wants to be here.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Even if he is traded, I still would not be surprised if he is re-signed again in the offseason again by GMKA.  Meanwhile with the Sabres.....I would not be surprised if nobody else get's the "C" in his place as they will save it for KO next season.  Dahlin, Girgs (if he is still here) and Tuch will all wear "A's" to close out this season.  

IMHO - It's time to move on from KO, but GMKA will bring him back.

• dislike 1

Okposo is a class act as a player and person. He's the type of person you admire simply because of the dignified way he carries himself. The most impressive thing about Okposo is that it is easy being the upfront person on your team when things are going well. What he did well is maintain his professionalism and class while playing in an era where failure and discontent pervaded the environment. 

A related question about player status surrounds Girgs. What's going to happen to him? Does he want to stay another year or would he prefer to have a chance to play in the playoffs with another team? 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Even if he is traded, I still would not be surprised if he is re-signed again in the offseason again by GMKA.  Meanwhile with the Sabres.....I would not be surprised if nobody else get's the "C" in his place as they will save it for KO next season.  Dahlin, Girgs (if he is still here) and Tuch will all wear "A's" to close out this season.  

IMHO - It's time to move on from KO, but GMKA will bring him back.

I can’t imagine a scenario where Kyle is here next season. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Well, it’s an end to an era. 

Good riddance to the era, not to Kyle.  

Seems like a real good guy and he was a good soldier - just didn't like the team reaction to the booing when it was easy to understand and explain.  Best wishes whatever happens.  

To be honest, I still don't think he is leaving.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I rooted for Mike Ramsey to win one.  I’ll add Kyle to the list.

People happy to see Kyle go are doing so because of what he wasn’t.  However, what he is is substantial, and will be missed.

Effective 4th liner with enough offense to be a powerplay contributor.

Grizzled pro that taught the kids how to become NHLers

Effective when needed to move up the line up.

Respected around the league.  In this org, that is a feat in and of itself. Don’t underestimate how important this is when every FA of substance has Buffalo on their “no” list.  I know EJ didn’t work out as well as hoped, but we don’t even get him without KO.  He had been an ambassador for the organization at a time where recruitment is tantamount.

Consistently played hard and made himself accountable.

I can’t ignore or forget the health issues he went through and fought back from  as a member of this team.  During the worst era in Buffalo sports Kyle Okposo went through hell and back to continue to be here. He WANTED to be here during this mess. Mad respect.

Assuming we lose Kyle, there is no replacement for what is left of the season that will be as effective as Kyle was.  There is no addition we make this season that is better than Kyle.  No kid is coming in and being more effective than Kyle was.  This loss Will absolutely make us less effective as a team in the short term.  And the only way it improves next season is if Kevyn can find improvement from the outside.  Good luck with that when noone else really wants to be here.

Good summary.   

If he goes I do not think they should bring him back either, despite all you said. 

Find the elusive "vet in their prime that wants to be here" and upgrade the roster.  That should be Adams top priority.  

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Good summary.   

If he goes I do not think they should bring him back either, despite all you said. 

Find the elusive "vet in their prime that wants to be here" and upgrade the roster.  That should be Adams top priority.  

I don’t think there is any chance he comes back. I’m nearly certain this is Kyle’s swan song.  He will retire in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

Injuries and poor usage derailed his career; he did not need to be relegated to 4th line duty by the Housley years. We could have used 4-5 more players with his character and skills. 

i agree with this - i dont know if we are in agreement with what i am about to say - but i always thought he was under utilized on the power play here. it was one of his strengths early in his career - and always preferred him on the PP over skinner (not interchangeably, but in high level theory). good positioning, angles and possession are key, and he has those. never understood why we didnt use him more. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1