End of season impact on next season's team

#freejame

End of season impact on next season's team  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Does the win-loss record through the end of the year impact the likelihood of the 2024-2025 Sabres making the playoffs?

2. 2. Does a strong finish lead to Adams doing more to the roster or less to the roster (outside of pending UFAs)?

3. 3. Will the end of year results have any impact of Don Granato as head coach?

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm prepared for them to go on this Winning streak miss the playoffs And they bring back Granato

And the clown show continues next season 

And I like you am jaded. Its not my fault I swear. Fool me once…

• Like (+1) 1

It's a business. We might not have thought that it was until EEE and family lifestyle, but now it is.

The push is on to salvage the season and sell season tickets. Donny has flipped a switch. He did so with the bench rampage and doubling down to try and save face with fans who had caught on to his impassive demeanor.

Why do you think the scoreboard and roof news came out? Who leaked the idea Terry is ready to spend again (Brawndo has connections).

If the fans respond as they typically do to the fool's blue and gold it surely will impact roster and coaching decisions to be made by KA.

Edited by PASabreFan

10 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Who is this Don Grantato that this poll speaks of ? Does he have any previous coaching experience ? I voted no on the Grantato question simply because I have no idea who this fella is.

I’m doing the best I can

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Realistically if they go on a run but dont make the playoffs I expect less experimentation at the beginning of the season... I could see KO, EJ and Ollie gone... could see another 3rd fourth line signing and possibly a D but will keep focus on developing young guys.

I wrote in another thread that KA is bringing back nearly his entire roster next season.  It was a little tongue in cheek, but the Sabres are 7-3 in their last 10.  They have 21 games left.  If they continue that level of play the rest of the season they might challenge for a playoff spot by the end, thereby creating hopium, and giving KA the excuse to run it back one more time.  

• Like (+1) 2

The issue with this team, in large part, IMO, is that for the first 3 months they didn't exactly know how to do what Granato wanted them to do in terms of playing more defense first, they weren't confident in it, and they seemingly lost confidence in themselves and their ability to play offensively while doing that. 

It seems like they have figured out how to do it and use their team speed and team size and length to get their sticks in the way to break up passes in the defensive zone and then turn those into transition chances at speed now. Their team defense has improved more than I think anyone ever thought possible in a few months and they are now outstanding defensively and among the best in the NHL.  They have allowed the fewest goals since january 1st with 50 and are 2nd at 2.17 goals/game allowed over that point.  3rd in fewest shots allowed per game at 28.45. 

It just seems like this team has finally realized who they are, found their identity, has their Mojo flowing and last night they just absolutely dominated the Knights for 85% of the game.  

Now...the key will be to continue this and THEN not have it take 3 months to figure it out again like the last 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wrote in another thread that KA is bringing back nearly his entire roster next season.  It was a little tongue in cheek, but the Sabres are 7-3 in their last 10.  They have 21 games left.  If they continue that level of play the rest of the season they might challenge for a playoff spot by the end, thereby creating hopium, and giving KA the excuse to run it back one more time.  

I don't think it is an excuse as much as this team has seemingly finally figured out how they need to play to be successful defensively and are starting to emerge as one of the best defensive teams in the NHL.  No real way to say otherwise with what they have been doing over the last 1/2 of their games played.

Their GAA/game has dropped from 3.56 prior to Jan 1st to 2.17 starting Jan 1st...that's 1.39 fewer goals allowed per game.  That's astounding.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

@Buffalonill@Sabres Fan in NS for the last question you both said yes. Do you know Grantato’s job is in jeopardy now or that if the bottom completely falls out that it would be in jeopardy?

Nope.  I think if the Sabres finsih well he will receive a contract extension in the offseason.

The stretch run will have no impact on the likelihood of making the playoffs either way.

It's not going to change Adams offseason plan either. Generally speaking, he's bringing back the kids, shopping to replace the UFAs and deciding what to do with his RFAs, picks and prospects based on possible returns. We might see a start to that this week.

Granato is coming back unless the bottom really falls out down the stretch. He gets to start next season, but he wont survive a slow start. Only other thing that might change that is Brind'Amour wanting the job.

The season as a whole is what should matter. NOT how bad the start was, NOT how bad the end was, but look at it as a whole.  If, IF something changed that is obvious, tangible, measurable, that you don't have to TRY to convince yourself is different...then maybe that can factor into things, but don't try to reach too deep/think to much.

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The stretch run will have no impact on the likelihood of making the playoffs either way.

It's not going to change Adams offseason plan either. Generally speaking, he's bringing back the kids, shopping to replace the UFAs and deciding what to do with his RFAs, picks and prospects based on possible returns. We might see a start to that this week.

Granato is coming back unless the bottom really falls out down the stretch. He gets to start next season, but he wont survive a slow start. Only other thing that might change that is Brind'Amour wanting the job.

I agree with all of that, especially the bolded part, and that is what I would do if i was in charge.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Weave said:

This season is evidence that finishing with a flourish is not predictive of playoffs the next season.  Otherwise, we’d be discussing wanted 1st rd matchups.

This season is also evidence that a strong finish counter-incentivizes KA to make roster changes.

And I think we all believe DG ain’t going nowhere regardless.

I agree with this: but I think there’s a chance he doesn’t make the same mistake twice re: his operations this offseason 

fool me once..

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Rinse and repeat.

Everything about this year feels exactly the same as last year. 

As ot should. Outside of the post New Years UPL arrival, just about everything with the organization is the same.

Trust the Process? 🤣 

• Haha (+1) 1

I went with all yes answers. I have to believe that no matter what, moves will be made. There’s way too much disappointment the last two years for there not to be. Most of the pieces are there. Maybe three more (two forwards/one DMan) are needed to get to the next level.

If this is the real UPL, the Ullmark situation should be lesson learned.

I fully realize this is a common sense reaction to a situation where common sense is uncommon. 

It’s so the sabery that the team has kept the playoff zero core of Girgensons, Okposo, Skinner. What if next year all three were gone. Replaced with players who have been in the playoffs—-even the AHL plays in the last year. When young players look at these guys and zero playoffs, are they moved to greater heights? 

• Like (+1) 1