GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Montreal Canadiens Weds 7pm, ESPN+ MSG & WGR radio

Shoot da Puck

COTW_sabres.thumb.webp.34c541fb456273e1daee660aefe9e47e.webp

It’s a matchup of Atlantic Division teams outside the playoff picture on the ice north of the border. The Buffalo Sabres are on the road as they travel to face the Montreal Canadiens Wednesday night. Buffalo was beaten 4-3 at home by Anaheim in their previous contest Monday afternoon. Montreal fell 4-3 at home to Washington in their most recent game Saturday night. In the last 10 meetings between the teams, the Sabres own a 5-3-2 advantage heading into this contest. The most recent meeting was a 6-1 Buffalo victory on the road back on January 4, snapping a three-game win streak by the Canadiens in the series.

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/2-21-2024/buffalo-sabres-vs-montreal-canadiens-prediction-8699/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Amerks and Sabres both tonight at 7.  Both played Monday afternoon at the same time and both play Friday at the same time.  I realize they probably don’t give it one thought but should they?  I’m guessing in their wildest dreams they couldn’t picture WNY hockey fans choosing the AHL over the NHL but I’m about to do exactly that.  Hell, if the prospects were actually doing anything the last dozen games, this wouldn’t even be a contest.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Only 12 points from 8th

Montreal can jump us tonight

Ottawa got a point and they will probably pass us next week.

Need to get the highest draft pick possible at this point so we can actually trade it this year for a real player.

I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for an NHL team to trade a top 5 pick.  Outside of first overall picks being traded for a kings ransom (see Eric Lindros), do top 5 picks ever get traded?  Especially after the draft order has been determined, so after the lottery.  What’s that timeline?  Two months?  

Id love for it to happen but NHL GMs are a cowardly bunch.  The last thing they want is to give away a franchise player for a third line plugger at the deadline.  

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Only 12 points from 8th

Montreal can jump us tonight

Ottawa got a point and they will probably pass us next week.

Need to get the highest draft pick possible at this point so we can actually trade it this year for a real player.

When does this ever happen?  

I hope they play to win. I want to finish strong.  They have a good shot to win this on the road.  After all, they have less pressure on the road.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Amerks and Sabres both tonight at 7.  Both played Monday afternoon at the same time and both play Friday at the same time.  I realize they probably don’t give it one thought but should they?  I’m guessing in their wildest dreams they couldn’t picture WNY hockey fans choosing the AHL over the NHL but I’m about to do exactly that.  Hell, if the prospects were actually doing anything the last dozen games, this wouldn’t even be a contest.  

I am going to the Amerks game. Won't even bother recording the Sabres game. F them. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

When does this ever happen?  

I hope they play to win. I want to finish strong.  They have a good shot to win this on the road.  After all, they have less pressure on the road.  

Honestly….because I really don’t think winning or losing matters with this group. They don’t carry momentum after wins and they can’t even figure out how to win more than two in a row. 

even if they finish strong this year, does anyone really think that that will have any effect for the start of next year? The losing needs to continue in order to get rid of management, the season has been over for 2 months already. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I was in a bar in Manhattan last night after seeing Hamilton ❤️

The Stars lost to the Rangers last night and there were a bunch of Stars fans in the bar. I was getting pretty tipsy so I decided to pull a Larry David and walk over to one and say: “Ya know…Bret Hull’s skate was in the crease in ‘99” He got all pissed and started explaining to his girlfriend as he walked away that I was wrong. Whatever 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for an NHL team to trade a top 5 pick.  Outside of first overall picks being traded for a kings ransom (see Eric Lindros), do top 5 picks ever get traded?  Especially after the draft order has been determined, so after the lottery.  What’s that timeline?  Two months?  

When is the draft lottery?

It's usually midweek during the first round of the playoffs. Why a random weeknight instead of Saturday night on HNIC? It's the NHL and they don't want to make a big deal out of it.

Why do I know the general timing of the lottery draft?

Because I'm still a Buffalo Sabres fan.

48 minutes ago, SabreFinn said:

A Finnish hockey-podcast I follow compared the two early games on monday, BUF-ANA and BOS-DAL. The podcasters judgement: the Boston-game was a real NHL game, the Buffalo -game was WJC-game...

But WJC games are often super entertaining because a) they aren't all about playing defenses and systems yet, and b) they're often trying so hard they take themselves out of position or lead to chaos, or just make beautiful things happen.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I was in a bar in Manhattan last night after seeing Hamilton ❤️

The Stars lost to the Rangers last night and there were a bunch of Stars fans in the bar. I was getting pretty tipsy so I decided to pull a Larry David and walk over to one and say: “Ya know…Bret Hull’s skate was in the crease in ‘99” He got all pissed and started explaining to his girlfriend as he walked away that I was wrong. Whatever 

That is deserving of 2 minutes for instigating and maybe a 10 minute misconduct.  If some cowboys fan decided to get in my grill about wide right, it’s about to be a bad night for most people in the bar, especially me.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.