Sabres’ Refusal to “Salute” Fans Confirmed

That Aud Smell

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

They like his variety of color framed glasses. Ryan Gosling Sunglasses GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

It is a light-hearted moment to be sure. The home game performances as of the last few seasons have relegated our conversions to "non play" stick lift mob anger 🤣 

I mean, honestly, every now and then, we should all stop and chuckle at ourselves, it is humorous to say the least.

For myself, when I saw this thread, I personally envisioned Sam Kinnison screaming "So, ummm, you don't want to lift the stick......LIFT THE STICK, LIFT THE STICK". I can't help it, he just comes to mind on subject matter like this 🤣 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

Says who? Someone had it right when they suggested it was a post lockout fan appreciation thing.

There is no defending this. The team leadership’s decision to lead the team in abandoning a fan appreciation gesture — in response to theiw feewings being huwt — is damning.

Having a post lockout gesture is one thing. But to do it too often renders it meaningless. If you find it meaningful, that's fine. It makes little sense to me. I can see it done at the last game or at the few games when the arena is filled and the play was outstanding for an important game. That's not the situation we're discussing here. If you want to make the gesture meaningful, then it should happen less often than more often. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Porous Five Hole said:

Whether you care about the salute or not this team seems to be in an awful place mentally.

Unquestionably.  GMKA and HCDG have their work cut out for them just until the end of the season or this is going to get a lot uglier.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The entire stick salute is some weird "everyone gets a prize" after every home game contrivance anyway. If it is fun or silly or gets embellished naturally (like the Hurricanes? that one season) then, fine. Back in the day you'd win, tap your goalie, then head off the ice and maybe give a few high fives to kids leaning over the railing. Maybe do a stick salute at the end of the season.

As an organized "We're not doing that anymore" -- also fine. Maybe it would bring the team together, provide some solidarity and "us against them" mentality, and motivation. I'd love it if inside the locker room they had a big cardboard cutout of 500 Sabres fans with a big "BOOOOOOO!" speech bubble and for every home win they'd take add another fan sticker to the board, until they had a full arena.

I still think this team needs a line brawl in the very worst way. Though what they really need is an actual leader. 

To be fair, they didn't stop practicing hockey because of the booing. They're still collecting checks. They just stopped turning back to the patient after a successful check-up on vitals and giving a Mentos the Freshmaker pose before leaving the room.

And now I have a new pose to replicate when I'm home. 

Mentos GIF by Foo Fighters

• Haha (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I am the greybeard on a project with a bunch of the Woke types. The juvenile behavior and sense of entitlement is remarkable, and that is not a simple reflection of youth. The culture is damaged in significant ways, and one sees the "snowflake" vibe in a lot of habitual attitudes in an entire generation.

Greybeard - Reminds me of a story, but to be brief I'll skip it and just say that I was once told we cannot say greybeard at work.  It is offensive to women, men who can't grow beards, and elderly.   Really.  

Change is inevitable, it is constant.  I know what you are alluding too with the younger folks but you have to adapt in the workplace and hopefully reign things in when they go overboard.  The only way you can do that is to be seen as firmly on the team.  

Which is why I have to question Granato and Adams on this booing topic.   Someone should have explained to the players that this no salute idea was a bad idea.  Tit for tat with the fans, your customers, is wrong.  

What will Terry Pegula do now that Harrington put it out there?   If I were Pegula, Kevyn Adams would be in trouble right now.  

• Like (+1) 4

In some other parallel universe, this might be hockey heaven.....but this truly is hockey hell.  Things are getting completely toxic between the team and fans.  As some others have suggested, this may be the true plan so that TP can sell the team without much opposition.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You would think Tuch would understand  the frustration he was super fan of the team 

Frankly I firmly believe he is. He's likely the last guy to argue about the fan's anger. He even admitted about ticket prices being an issue earlier in the year. 

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

In some other parallel universe, this might be hockey heaven.....but this truly is hockey hell.  Things are getting completely toxic between the team and fans.  As some others have suggested, this may be the true plan so that TP can sell the team without much opposition.

I grow weary of this absurd conspiracy 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If you are upset that the players aren't saluting the fans are you not just as soft?

Lord, if it bothers you that much you really should just stop paying attention to this team.  You are upset because players don't skate to the middle of the ice in a completely unorganized manner and lift a stick?  That just screams that people are looking for even more reasons to be mad about this team. There are plenty of reasons related to the actual performance of the team. Don't torture yourselves looking for more reasons.

I didn't care, I still don't care, and I am not going to care what the ever-loving hell these players do other than their performance on the ice.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I grow weary of this absurd conspiracy 

I doubt the Sabres will move but you can't say it will never happen. Did you hear about the latest Bettman presser, where he floated the idea the next expansion fee could be $2B+?  This franchise is worth too much.

7 minutes ago, LTS said:

If you are upset that the players aren't saluting the fans are you not just as soft?

Lord, if it bothers you that much you really should just stop paying attention to this team.  You are upset because players don't skate to the middle of the ice in a completely unorganized manner and lift a stick?  That just screams that people are looking for even more reasons to be mad about this team. There are plenty of reasons related to the actual performance of the team. Don't torture yourselves looking for more reasons.

I didn't care, I still don't care, and I am not going to care what the ever-loving hell these players do other than their performance on the ice.

I don't think anyone cares about "saluting fans" more so the captain and his core don't understand the fans frustration 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Jesus that is pathetic.

This whole organization is so out of touch with reality.

You have not made the playoffs for 13 years in a row and you still have fans showing up to support you.  

The idea of “sticking it to the fans” because they had the audacity to express their frustration with your lack of any success for over a decade is mind boggling.

The coordinated effort by the leadership of this team to do something so petty tells me exactly why they are in the spot they are and this won’t get better anytime soon.

So sad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Greybeard - Reminds me of a story, but to be brief I'll skip it and just say that I was once told we cannot say greybeard at work.  It is offensive to women, men who can't grow beards, and elderly.   Really.  

Change is inevitable, it is constant.  I know what you are alluding too with the younger folks but you have to adapt in the workplace and hopefully reign things in when they go overboard.  The only way you can do that is to be seen as firmly on the team.  

Which is why I have to question Granato and Adams on this booing topic.   Someone should have explained to the players that this no salute idea was a bad idea.  Tit for tat with the fans, your customers, is wrong.  

What will Terry Pegula do now that Harrington put it out there?   If I were Pegula, Kevyn Adams would be in trouble right now.  

No doubt, you have to work with people shaped by the times, or retreat to the farm like Cincinnatus. (I live on a farm, and work remotely.) Unfortunately, it's evident Terry Pegula does not have the acumen to solve the problems his own agency has largely produced. What is utterly lacking is prudential wisdom, which is the capacity to judge what is best for a unique, particular circumstance.

Just now, Buffalonill said:

I don't think anyone cares about "saluting fans" more so the captain and his core don't understand the The fans frustration 

Of course, the players understand the fans' frustration. They are not idiots and divorced from reality. It shouldn't be surprising that the players are also frustrated with their play and record.  You don't think that Dahlin, Mitts, Okposo, Tuch etc. are happy with this team's record and likely not to be in the playoffs for another year? 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't think anyone cares about "saluting fans" more so the captain and his core don't understand the fans frustration 

That would be even worse. I suppose it makes people feel better to take their anger out on players and all that thinking that the players don't understand. It dehumanizes them and makes it easier to attack them.

The team not being good enough to win is not the same as the players not understanding the situation. It's not the same as the players not trying to win either.

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Jesus that is pathetic.

This whole organization is so out of touch with reality.

You have not made the playoffs for 13 years in a row and you still have fans showing up to support you.  

The idea of “sticking it to the fans” because they had the audacity to express their frustration with your lack of any success for over a decade is mind boggling.

The coordinated effort by the leadership of this team to do something so petty tells me exactly why they are in the spot they are and this won’t get better anytime soon.

So sad.

Players are human beings and if they feel like the fans aren't with them anymore, it's hard to put on the fake smile. I wonder how much crap they put up with away from the arena?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.