Sabres’ Refusal to “Salute” Fans Confirmed

That Aud Smell

At least they don't salute the fans they way that Al Smith saluted the Knoxes, Head Coach Marcel Pronovost, and General Manager Punch Imlach when Don Edwards was started over him after Gerry Desjardins got that eye injury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Did you read what the topic is? 

Yes. And I had an immediate stick lift.

27 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

In some other parallel universe, this might be hockey heaven.....but this truly is hockey hell.  Things are getting completely toxic between the team and fans.  As some others have suggested, this may be the true plan so that TP can sell the team without much opposition.

I'm still digesting this news... It was mentioned recently on this board and I refused to believe it, then I was relieved when someone said it wasn't true... But how bad is this? It feels downright awful. Like, the last thing that's done before divorce is inevitable.

19 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Maybe Kyle was trying to do what the bills did with sean mcdermott

Sadly kyle you and your leadership core suck Apparently

That's next level captainship.

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Players are human beings and if they feel like the fans aren't with them anymore, it's hard to put on the fake smile. I wonder how much crap they put up with away from the arena?

If the players are that weak then trade all of them. That story is beyond pathetic and embarrassing. Grow a set, step up and have some pride and make the playoffs once in forever.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

If you are upset that the players aren't saluting the fans are you not just as soft?

Lord, if it bothers you that much you really should just stop paying attention to this team.  You are upset because players don't skate to the middle of the ice in a completely unorganized manner and lift a stick?  That just screams that people are looking for even more reasons to be mad about this team. There are plenty of reasons related to the actual performance of the team. Don't torture yourselves looking for more reasons.

I didn't care, I still don't care, and I am not going to care what the ever-loving hell these players do other than their performance on the ice.

The bolded, I’m learning that’s not how it works. In this thread, I learned that “we” pay their salaries. So how dare they?

I learned that the players are being woke snowflakes. 

That Kyle is a dipsh*t with an endgame to harm the team. And the players are effing idiots. 

It appears whatever was left of the rational fanbase has finally hit their breaking point. 

• Eyeroll 2

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You have to ask why Gallant is always available.  

Cuz he is a d+×k and wears out his welcome but he gets results. 

Also atleast he is still in the discussion in nhl  circles. When this staff gets fired not one will be hired by another nhl team. 

Edited by Ogelthorpe
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe they feel that isn't worth it for these fans.

We don't agree much, but I don't think this is really who you are. You mentioned the word humanize. Does it bother you that kids were waiting for the stick lift after a win and didn't get it?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

The bolded, I’m learning that’s not how it works. In this thread, I learned that “we” pay their salaries. So how dare they?

I learned that the players are being woke snowflakes. 

That Kyle is a dipsh*t with an endgame to harm the team. And the players are effing idiots. 

It appears whatever was left of the rational fanbase has finally hit their breaking point. 

Careful... you used the word rational and fan in the same sentence.  You're going to get roasted.

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

He's an ass calls people fat and is a hardass aka like ruff.

But at this point I have no clue if a hardass coach would work 

It hasn't worked anywhere else.. but yes, this time will be different.

Just now, Ogelthorpe said:

Ryan Reynolds Dude GIF by 20th Century Studios

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

True.  I don't think that there is a coaching panacea for this team.

I do agree that this team needs to change how they attack. They lack flow. Passes are behind players or to the wrong stick side. I can't tell if they are just doing it wrong or if other teams know what the Sabres  are trying to do and just block their passing lanes. 

4 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

He'd last if he got results.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have to ask.

I watched the Cow-lumbus game in question.  How many fans were chanting for Donnie's firing?  I don't remember hearing them on the broadcast.  Contrast this with The Tank season when you could hear a substantial chunk of fans cheering for the opposition on the broadcast.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I do agree that this team needs to change how they attack. They lack flow. Passes are behind players or to the wrong stick side. I can't tell if they are just doing it wrong or if other teams know what the Sabres  are trying to do and just block their passing lanes. 

He's last if he got results.

He has gotten more results than anybody on the sabres staff since Bylsma

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I love me a good subtweet.

I stand by what I said. That’s some barrel bottom leadership by ol’ Okie.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

We don't agree much, but I don't think this is really who you are. You mentioned the word humanize. Does it bother you that kids were waiting for the stick lift after a win and didn't get it?

Are there kids waiting for that? Or are they flipping the bird like their dad?

When I go to games, I always come early to watch warm-ups by the glass. I want to see the players faces, gauge the mood. Most look fine. Tuch always looks moody. Could be just his game face. But one thing I do see are players responding to kids by the glass. They react to signs, come up to the kids, maybe flip them a puck.  The one player who really went out of his way for kids was Boosh.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

When I go to games, I always come early to watch warm-ups by the glass. I want to see the players faces, gauge the mood. Most look fine. Tuch always looks moody. Could be just his game face. But one thing I do see are players responding to kids by the glass. They react to signs, come up to the kids, maybe flip them a pick.  The one player who really went out of his way for kids was Boosh.

That's great. My point was this move is so dumb because it targets all of the fans.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

When I go to games, I always come early to watch warm-ups by the glass. I want to see the players faces, gauge the mood. Most look fine. Tuch always looks moody. Could be just his game face. But one thing I do see are players responding to kids by the glass. They react to signs, come up to the kids, maybe flip them a pick.  The one player who really went out of his way for kids was Boosh.

To be honest, Tuch has always looked moody.  Part of me thinks that he has internalised the fans' frustration.

13 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I have to ask.

I watched the Cow-lumbus game in question.  How many fans were chanting for Donnie's firing?  I don't remember hearing them on the broadcast.  Contrast this with The Tank season when you could hear a substantial chunk of fans cheering for the opposition on the broadcast.

That's my burning question. It can't be the majority. It could be a relative few.

Opposing fans in Buffalo would be smart to boo the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LTS said:

If you are upset that the players aren't saluting the fans are you not just as soft?

Lord, if it bothers you that much you really should just stop paying attention to this team.  You are upset because players don't skate to the middle of the ice in a completely unorganized manner and lift a stick?  That just screams that people are looking for even more reasons to be mad about this team. There are plenty of reasons related to the actual performance of the team. Don't torture yourselves looking for more reasons.

I didn't care, I still don't care, and I am not going to care what the ever-loving hell these players do other than their performance on the ice.

Well the salute, which has become hockey tradition, and is directly related to their performance on the ice.  I would prefer that the players see it as part of the tradition and a bond with fans and the community.   Fans cheer, the team salutes.  This is just like saying "thank you" and "your welcome".   One of the courtesies in our society that apparently you don't care about.    Good for you.  

From my perspective, you are perched upon some morale high ground with apparently no view of what is happening.  Your not caring does not make you enlightened, but it puts you with the players, the coach, the GM, and the absentee Owner. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The players no salute policy stopped after the 7-0 win last week.  Even then, they were skating off but were redirected, and some of them went out to the circle.  Big deal for them.     

Ironically, since the home wins are so scarce, most of us never knew this was happening.  My TV feed on ESPN+ does not include post game.  

I read the article 3 times.  I am more upset that Granato and Adams could even allow that to be their response.  No one is in charge, to coin an old phrase - the lunatics are running the asylum. 

This group lacks accountability in the biggest ways.  The things they say about the 13 year drought, especially alluding to “we haven’t been here for that long” tell me how much, or little, they care.  It’s now beyond the players and it’s infected the coaching and the FO.   

Can it get any worse ?  

Agree but my overall respect or better put care about what professional players think is non existent. I watch for the games sake. There are exceptions but for the most part these players patronize the fans and care about two things $$$ and attention. This fan salute thing whether it's done or not meh.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.