Rumor: The Bruins may have interest in both Kyle Okposo and Zemgus Girgensons

Brawndo

Just now, Marvin said:

Speaking for myself, it troubles me that Dave Schultz has his name on the Cup twice while guys like Gil Perreault do not.  It feels like the universe bending towards Justice.

Also, I would like all the Sabres fans who don't appreciate what they bring game in and game out to see how wrong they are.

Appreciate the response 

For me, it's not that I think either player is useless, it's just this team needs some kind of shakeup. Doing something is always better than doing nothing 

• Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

It could be viewed as a great opportunity for a player who is being buried in the Bruins organization by the talent ahead of them.

That and you don’t have to be surrounded by massholes anymore. It changed my life for the better. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I honestly don't know what to think about anything anymore. 

Like, we clearly lack some bottom end depth/physical play. Guys who play big and tough. Girgs and Okie are part of that problem. 

But if a team like Boston, winning the east right now, wants these guys....

That said, I think there would be a lot less criticism of these guys if we had a Deslauriers and/or Reaves around.

I do think this team is a couple of clones away from being a lot better. At least the foreword group. 

Benson- Thompson - Tuch
Peterka - Mitts - Quinn
Greenway - Mitts - Tuch
Deslauriers - Girgs - Okie/Reaves

Cloning Mitts is an interesting idea. Maybe they will then trade him, and play him on the 2nd and 3rd lines. I suppose you mean Cozens will play better if he wears Mitts' jersey. I dunno, maybe it will work.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TageMVP said:

I dont get the whole sentiment of wanting players to do well once they leave the Sabres

They're off the team, f them 

Why would I want another TEAM to do well?

Girgs, Okie and Skinner are probably the only players I'd pull for on other teams.  Why?  Because they're long-tenured Sabres that deserve better than they got on Buffalo.  Rooting for, say, the Bruins in a postseason the Sabres miss by 10 points is not detracting from my Sabres fanhood.  It's just appreciating that those guys have been good soldiers while here, and wishing the best for them.  It's more of a humanity thing than a sports thing.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Girgs, Okie and Skinner are probably the only players I'd pull for on other teams.  Why?  Because they're long-tenured Sabres that deserve better than they got on Buffalo.  Rooting for, say, the Bruins in a postseason the Sabres miss by 10 points is not detracting from my Sabres fanhood.  It's just appreciating that those guys have been good soldiers while year, and wishing the best for them.  It's more of a humanity thing than a sports thing.

I just can’t root for Boston; hate their team, their city and their fans

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Good data to see.   Fancy stats are interesting as to how they get tabulated, who and how they decide to record the data, and what they actually mean.  Is this goals for or against?  I am am sure who they play with is a big factor too.  

I watch the games and see Clifton is a big improvement over last years 3rd pairing, helpful on the PK, and physically more active than the rest.  therefore, he was an improvement from last year.  

I agree whom they play with can be a factor for expected goal %, especially if you don't do much mixing and matching. However, Clifton was similarly bad on Boston last year. Numbers wise he's our worst PK D by a significant margin. And he consistently does not make plays 5 on 5.

He can hit though, and maybe that's what you like about him. Personally, I feel like we're closer to a wildcard if Clifton is Mr Press Box, and Ryan Johnson is on our bottom pair.

3 hours ago, Mango said:

I honestly don't know what to think about anything anymore. 

Like, we clearly lack some bottom end depth/physical play. Guys who play big and tough. Girgs and Okie are part of that problem. 

But if a team like Boston, winning the east right now, wants these guys....

That said, I think there would be a lot less criticism of these guys if we had a Deslauriers and/or Reaves around.

I do think this team is a couple of clones away from being a lot better. At least the foreword group. 

Benson- Thompson - Tuch
Peterka - Mitts - Quinn
Greenway - Mitts - Tuch
Deslauriers - Girgs - Okie/Reaves

just wondering at what point this year will fans expect Benson to actually get a point before wanting him on the top line.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

just wondering at what point this year will fans expect Benson to actually get a point before wanting him on the top line.

It was a super inconsistent exercise where Mitts and Tuch star in Multiplicity 2 but I also tried to realistically fill some holes on the roster with guys who are here and real players in the NHL who are not available. In order to keep it grounded in reality while also make some cap room I traded Skinner. 

Try and keep up.

(Mitts and Tuch sounds like a Sabres Space buddy comedy about a couple of doctors who also play bar league hockey….with a woman!)

Edited by Mango

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I agree whom they play with can be a factor for expected goal %, especially if you don't do much mixing and matching. However, Clifton was similarly bad on Boston last year. Numbers wise he's our worst PK D by a significant margin. And he consistently does not make plays 5 on 5.

He can hit though, and maybe that's what you like about him. Personally, I feel like we're closer to a wildcard if Clifton is Mr Press Box, and Ryan Johnson is on our bottom pair.

But, also, don't believe he's on the ice much with Greenway on the PK and the PK is significantly better when the 1st F pairing is out there.  Wonder how much (how accurately) that is accounted for in those advanced stats.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But, also, don't believe he's on the ice much with Greenway on the PK and the PK is significantly better when the 1st F pairing is out there.  Wonder how much (how accurately) that is accounted for in those advanced stats.

It doesn't account for it at all... at least according to Moneypuck. Questions like that are where the work and the analysis comes in. That said, I don't see Greenway being our best guy. Again, the analysis could be he always plays against PP1.

My eye test pretty much matches the PK stats below though. 

Screenshot_20240211-184937.thumb.png.ae3943ed3290f434984e72bdf285a840.png

7 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

This just isn't true.  Johnson is the worst.  In the chart below from Natural Stat Trick, I have the top 5 D-men advanced stats for the entire year on top and then January 1st to present below. The data has actual TOI, Shots against, goals against and Expected GA  for just PK.  Then a calculation of XG, GA and Shots against divided by TOI. The shade is a ranking of each  green - top two; Yellow - Third; Orange - 4th; and Magenta- last/worst.  YTD Clifton is nothing to write home about, but you can see Johnson has more GA, higher Expected GA and shots, and when you factor in TOI, Johnson still ranks last in two categories and 4th in another.   Whereas Clift is 3rd, 3rd and 4th.  

Where it gets interesting is since January 1st, Power is last in Expected GA per minute, 4th in actual GA per minute while Clifton improves to second in two categories and third in another.  Dahlin and Power are on the ice for 4 GA each and Power is seeing more TOI even though seemingly he is struggling.  The eye test tells me that Power and Dahlin have struggled as of late on the PK as well.   And as much as we bash Mattias, he was consistent throughout the year on the PK.  As stated, a lot of this may have to do matchups - who is on the ice against PP#1 vs PP#2, but overall it tells me EJ has been our worst PK defenseman.  

Stattrickdefense.thumb.JPG.54cd39acc802f59724d0c69fc4ea5f8a.JPG

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Lysell's been garbage. I could easily see the Bruins ditching him but he is NOT what the Sabres need. 

There's not a lot in their pipeline, I picked out the "best'ish" prospect. But, I do get it.  Probably picks, if need be. 

42 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

There's not a lot in their pipeline, I picked out the "best'ish" prospect. But, I do get it.  Probably picks, if need be. 

Lohrei is their best unless you count Poitras but they won't give him up easily if at all. 

Merkulov is better than Lysell. Beecher is the most NHL ready. Locmelis is a maybe, and that's about it. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Lohrei is their best unless you count Poitras but they won't give him up easily if at all. 

Merkulov is better than Lysell. Beecher is the most NHL ready. Locmelis is a maybe, and that's about it. 

This guy knows more about Boston than he knows about the Sabres 

3 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Bruins have two defenders, Alec Regula and Daniel Renouf, playing in Providence with great stats. Regula, a RHD might be someone to ask for in return as a depth player.

Yikes.  Are we unloading 21 & 28 for career minor leaguers?  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

How bout KO, Girgs and Pegula for the Jacobs and a pick😁

Sick minds. You beat me to it. I was going to post KO, Girgs, and the Pegulas for the Jacobs family. I didn't even need the pick...that pick might be an overpay on Boston's part. lol

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.