Rumor: The Bruins may have interest in both Kyle Okposo and Zemgus Girgensons

Brawndo

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Yikes.  Are we unloading 21 & 28 for career minor leaguers?  

Well, I wasn't thinking both of them, but if they don't get signed next year then why not trade them and try someone else. And 28 should definitely not be in Buffalo next season.

11 minutes ago, SabreFinn said:

Well, I wasn't thinking both of them, but if they don't get signed next year then why not trade them and try someone else. And 28 should definitely not be in Buffalo next season.

That’s exactly it. I could see both being traded, but it would be to separate teams. The contracts aren’t excessive, but it is a lot for 4th line help. 

12 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

This just isn't true.  Johnson is the worst.  In the chart below from Natural Stat Trick, I have the top 5 D-men advanced stats for the entire year on top and then January 1st to present below. The data has actual TOI, Shots against, goals against and Expected GA  for just PK.  Then a calculation of XG, GA and Shots against divided by TOI. The shade is a ranking of each  green - top two; Yellow - Third; Orange - 4th; and Magenta- last/worst.  YTD Clifton is nothing to write home about, but you can see Johnson has more GA, higher Expected GA and shots, and when you factor in TOI, Johnson still ranks last in two categories and 4th in another.   Whereas Clift is 3rd, 3rd and 4th.  

Where it gets interesting is since January 1st, Power is last in Expected GA per minute, 4th in actual GA per minute while Clifton improves to second in two categories and third in another.  Dahlin and Power are on the ice for 4 GA each and Power is seeing more TOI even though seemingly he is struggling.  The eye test tells me that Power and Dahlin have struggled as of late on the PK as well.   And as much as we bash Mattias, he was consistent throughout the year on the PK.  As stated, a lot of this may have to do matchups - who is on the ice against PP#1 vs PP#2, but overall it tells me EJ has been our worst PK defenseman.  

Stattrickdefense.thumb.JPG.54cd39acc802f59724d0c69fc4ea5f8a.JPG

Moneypuck has a completely different ranking. While it shows Johnson gives up more shots, Clifton gives up significantly more high danger shots, leading to more expected goals against. 

Also, going by minutes played, you'd infer Johnson and Samuelson would be playing PK1 whereas Power and Clifton would be PK2 so strength of opposition would be at play. No idea if this is actually correct. 

Screenshot_20240212-122222.thumb.png.0a680219a3aeb6e4d68bac2d35ff6274.png

23 hours ago, TageMVP said:

Why do they deserve it? 

Both loyal Sabres and hardworking players on the wrong side of 30, neither of whom has won a Cup… and in the case of Girgensons, has yet to experience the playoffs…

Both play a gritty 200 ft game… One or both packaged with prospects or traded separately should have value to Cup contenders… 

Let Pegula and KA show fans the Sabres are committed to improving the product this season… before the trade deadline and the offseason… 

10 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Bruins have two defenders, Alec Regula and Daniel Renouf, playing in Providence with great stats. Regula, a RHD might be someone to ask for in return as a depth player.

No. Definitely no. Those guys are pure AHL roster fillers and nothing more. On a good day maybe Clague level but definitely not NHL players. 

I could see Adams wanting Lysell. He fits the (dumb) Sabres ideas on young picks but I see him no better than our former Nylander. He also might want Mitchell as he's a "puck mover" but it would be a mistake. If Adams wants Zboril, it's time to find another team to cheer for. 

Some highlights from the 32 Thoughts Podcast regarding the Sabres. 

Teams calling the Sabres have been told no on Jiri Kulich and Alex Tuch. 

Marek was talking about owners having favorite players, Pegula loving Zemgus was brought up 

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Marek was talking about owners having favorite players, Pegula loving Zemgus was brought up 

Barring McDavid, I wouldn't trade Tuch so its good to hear that. Kulich is a little interesting but he is a high tier prospect and it'd make sense we wouldn't trade him for futures or lesser presents. 

GIrgs is one of my favorite players so I don't exactly disagree with Pegula here.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Does that mean everyone else is available ? 

22 minutes ago, #freejame said:

There’s no reason Tuch and Kulich shouldn’t be available. 

Well I wouldn’t trade Dahlin since I doubt we can get a better player. Makar isn’t available for instance.

Tuch to me is also untouchable due to a combination of his play style and genuine passion for the team. Obviously I’d trade him for McDavid but you get the idea.

Id be very unlikely to trade Cozens, Thompson or Power. 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

You can't trade tuch he's kevyn adams  Secret weapon to bring his brother in and save buffalo 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvSbfujr37mwz0o7XmcsY

Even though I know that you are being facetious, I would love it if you were right.

32 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Doesn't he project to be a fourth line player ? 

Yes.  It would show that he has gone too far in the "want to be here" talk and be more likely to trigger his replacement.  I want a real shake up of the hockey management side.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No. Definitely no. Those guys are pure AHL roster fillers and nothing more. On a good day maybe Clague level but definitely not NHL players. 

I could see Adams wanting Lysell. He fits the (dumb) Sabres ideas on young picks but I see him no better than our former Nylander. He also might want Mitchell as he's a "puck mover" but it would be a mistake. If Adams wants Zboril, it's time to find another team to cheer for. 

Haven't seen them play, just looking at the stats, that looks promising. Thanks for the update!

Maybe Lauko then?

5 hours ago, Marvin said:
6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

You can't trade tuch he's kevyn adams  Secret weapon to bring his brother in and save buffalo 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvSbfujr37mwz0o7XmcsY

Expand  

Even though I know that you are being facetious, I would love it if you were right.

And then they would open a chain of Thai restaurants when their playing days are done.

image.thumb.png.2ab5761a83b413060f23c5ea6f5c80eb.png

On 2/11/2024 at 10:40 AM, Flashsabre said:

For the love of God please trade Girgs to a contender. The guy was drafted in 2012 and has never seen a playoff game. No one has suffered more in the NHL.

Je has been a loyal soldier who hasn’t complained. I would love to see him in a playoff run and it ain’t happening in Buffalo anytime soon.

Same for Okposo. Let’s see if anyone steps into a leadership role with him out the door. Would find out a lot about this team.

Fully agree with the bold in last paragraph. Can't agree with the rest.

Both of these guys got paid oodles of $$$ to underperform on their contracts and / or expectations. They are direct contributors to this drought. I don't know these guys personally and what they do once they're gone means little to me. In fact, I'd be happier if they go somewhere else and help their new team suck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.