Buffalo Buzzwords You’re Tired of Hearing

RochesterExpat

6 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Not sports related, but why do they always put the word "the" in front of all the highway routes? The 219, The 190, The 400 etc...

In Rochester is just 490, 590, 390, only time we use "The" is when talking about "The Thruway". It's never "The 90". 

Just a little quirk of mine 🤷‍♂️ 

Your complete Guide to Buffalo English.  It's a bit dated but a good read.  It doesn't definitively answer your question but it's mentioned in there.  I know the original author of this piece.

4 hours ago, RVJ said:

We have to do better.

I have to do better.

The chiding version drives me nuts, and it's used by some 'Spacers:

"Do better."

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Word.  Good wings don’t need salad dressing to make them palatable.  I’d argue it takes away from the flavor of the sauce. 

There's a functional reason for blue cheese and celery.  They're basically fire extinguishers if your wings are two hot for comfort.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Really, as if the rest of the country cares.  

The other one that is over played is the pizza.    Buffalo style is good, so are many other styles.  

Well, it's a good thing the thread title is "Buffalo Buzzwords You’re Tired of Hearing" then 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's a niche thing.  The were "the food of Buffalo" prior to the advent of wings.

Beef on Weck is still on the menu of every almost bar and restaurant in the region.   Not a niche thing, its everywhere.  

Wings have the advantage of being on the menu of the pizza and sub restaurants and many of them do not have Beef on Weck, but most bars, restaurants, and diners have it.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Beef on Weck is still on the menu of every almost bar and restaurant in the region.   Not a niche thing, its everywhere.  

Wings have the advantage of being on the menu of the pizza and sub restaurants and many of them do not have Beef on Weck, but most bars, restaurants, and diners have it.  

WNY food is elite

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Norcal said:

WNY food is elite

The late John Nathan-Turner, former producer of Doctor Who, and his spouse, Gary Downie, said that Buffalo has great bar food.  A tribute to JNT and Buffalo is in the episode "Voyage of the Damned", where the food in the bar on the main table was all his favourite Buffalo finger foods.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Doohickie said:

There's a functional reason for blue cheese and celery.  They're basically fire extinguishers if your wings are two hot for comfort.

Bingo!!! I rarely dip my wings in the blue cheese. But I use the Celery as a shovel for the blue cheese. And it is very soothing.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.