Buffalo Buzzwords You’re Tired of Hearing

RochesterExpat

2 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Not sports related, but why do they always put the word "the" in front of all the highway routes? The 219, The 190, The 400 etc...

In Rochester is just 490, 590, 390, only time we use "The" is when talking about "The Thruway". It's never "The 90". 

Just a little quirk of mine 🤷‍♂️ 

Preach my brother.  My favorite is when Rochesterstarians use the “the” prefix for the routes, yes I’m looking at you Patrick Duffy.  Like they are glomming onto Buffalo somehow.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Preach my brother.  My favorite is when Rochesterstarians use the “the” prefix for the routes, yes I’m looking at you Patrick Duffy.  Like they are glomming onto Buffalo somehow.  

In Canada we use the "the". In fact, I'm just about to hop on the QEW and will need to get off on the 403.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Snow.

But it's not without good reason. We hold the all-time US record for seasonal snowfall for any city of over 100K people at 199.2" and are the 2 time defending National Golden Snowglobe Champ, given to the location with the most seasonal snowfall in the US of more than 100K people(including Alaska). Currently in 2nd place this year but unlikely to catch Anchorage this year, who has a commanding 50+" lead over us.

Finishing 1st, 1st, and 2nd in 3 consecutive years rightly earns us that reputation.

image.thumb.png.dea26bf14bea3789a584dbe9fe2171eb.png

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Hell no. Ranch is for dipping chips or veggies, not wings.

Wadr, no, THAT is what the blue cheese is for.  Wings do not need blue cheese on them.

And, can't really come up with anything that needs ranch on it.  (At least not a straight ranch.  When real dressings aren't available, a peppercorn ranch dressing is acceptable for a salad, though it still isn't necessarily a first choice.)

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

"Ranch or blue cheese"

Ya, tired of this already.

Really, as if the rest of the country cares.  

The other one that is over played is the pizza.    Buffalo style is good, so are many other styles.  

4 hours ago, Night Train said:

Bills "Mafia" 

Being a proud Italian American West Side of Buffalo product I agree.  

I used to just cringe at it, now it is so nationally accepted, with humorous positive overtones, that I just let it go.   It would be offensive to almost any other race or ethnicity but it is ok now? 

But Mafia is not something nice, and it does not really mean family, as in what we think of as a real family.   A fantastic Italian American family tradition that we had in Buffalo was Sunday after church.   Get together and enjoy the day of rest, including eating a big meal with extended family in the early afternoon -  none of us ever once said its sure great to get the mafia together.   

This is a manufactured family, a minute fraction of the population, and designed to protect people who do illegal things.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.