Sabres off season targets

sweetlou

Whether through trade or free agency name a few players the Sabres should be targeting?  Who is the type of player that this team needs to make the next step and get into the playoffs? With the abundance of top prospects and picks I don't even care if there is an overpayment in a trade.  The culture needs to be changed around the locker room.

forwards- Blake Coleman, Tomas Hertl, Lawson Crouse 

defense- Rasmus Anderson or MacKenzie Weeger, Thomas Harley, Gustav Forsling, Justin Faulk, Brendan Dillon, Dylan Demelo

goalie- Saros, Gibson

35 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

forwards- Blake Coleman, Tomas Hertl, Lawson Crouse 

defense- Rasmus Anderson or MacKenzie Weeger, Thomas Harley, Gustav Forsling, Justin Faulk, Brendan Dillon, Dylan Demelo

goalie- Saros, Gibson

I've seen Weeger's name mentioned few times. 7 years left on that deal with his style of play doesn't really seem like a smart investment.

A  goaltender, I would go for Lankinen.

Pesce, Connor Murphy or Tanev as top pair RHD. Other options Martinez, Brodie, Carrier. 

Alec Regula, Providence, great stats in AHL, as a 7th D might be worth the gamble, but never seen him play.

I earlier wrote that Vegas might be in trouble with cap space. Another deal with them for a heavy forward with PK talents should be considered. Same for Carolina, but they are not that heavy.

A third line C. Sign Mitts, and move Cozens to the wing, Benson to AHL and a new center to the third line. Jenner, Henrique, Pageau, Granlund...

I don't know the names, but in concept:

-a legit top tier defensemen who is a veteran.  26-30 years old. At least 400 games NHL experience. A guy who is great as a 2nd pair, but could even fill in on the first pair.

-Pay whatever you need to in order to give Granato some top tier assistants. Lets cut down on the number of former players getting their first or 2nd job coaching/developing on the Sabres.  I don't want/need a new head coach, but if I'm going to keep Granato he needs MUCH better staff to work with.

-A goalie to compete with Levi for the backup role next year.

-A 6'5" or taller forward who is will be a physical presense on the 4th line, but skilled/fast enough to be a good penalty killer....someone with that size and reach will take up a lot of space on the PK.

-Re-sign Mitts and maybe, MAYBE get another legit NHL center so you can move Cozens to wing.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

Nah.  The off-season will be something I think about when it gets here. No need to put more aspects of this team in my brain right now.

Besides, the landscape will change dramatically between now and July.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think something to consider going forward regarding our abundance of prospects. Expansion will likely happen prior to the US TV deal expiring in four years. There's only 25 US markets, the NHL will want a bigger American footprint when negotiating. We will lose a couple players to expansion drafts. 

15 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think something to consider going forward regarding our abundance of prospects. Expansion will likely happen prior to the US TV deal expiring in four years. There's only 25 US markets, the NHL will want a bigger American footprint when negotiating. We will lose a couple players to expansion drafts. 

We’ll have to factor this into the timeline to competitiveness accordingly. This buys the GM a few more years imo 

Let's see, our GM's motto is to do the absolute minimum and take the least amount of risk with FAs.  

Thus I expect 

1) UPL/Levi to be the goalies next season

2) Defense - with 5 guys under contract and a 6th (Joki) an RFA, I expect more of the same with one depth signing.

3) Forwards - 8 are under contract - Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Cozens, Quinn, JJP, Greenway and Benson.  Mitts and Krebs are RFA.  He'll re-sign Robinson and promote at least 1 of Savoie, Rosen, or Kulich.  Those 12 will be the forwards for 2024/25 with again one FA depth signing.

Don't you feel better already about next season?  Didn't think so!  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let's see, our GM's motto is to do the absolute minimum and take the least amount of risk with FAs.  

Thus I expect 

2) Defense - with 5 guys under contract and a 6th (Joki) an RFA, I expect more of the same with one depth signing.

3) Forwards - 8 are under contract - Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Cozens, Quinn, JJP, Greenway and Benson.  Mitts and Krebs are RFA.  He'll re-sign Robinson and promote at least 1 of Savoie, Rosen, or Kulich.  Those 12 will be the forwards for 2024/25 with again one FA depth signing.

So, nothing lol

Adams could bring up the AHL guys and have an all AHL 4th line, see who rises to the top.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Thus I expect 

I know there is a lot of frustration being thrown at the lack of moves by Adams, by me too, but there is no way they are running it back next season. Absolutely no chance. 

I don't think they will be super quiet come trade deadline, but this summer is very important for them. Gotta shake this team up. I wish it was with the coach as well but at the very least player wise.

12 minutes ago, Two or less said:

I know there is a lot of frustration being thrown at the lack of moves by Adams, by me too, but there is no way they are running it back next season. Absolutely no chance. 

What in Adams' history as the Sabres' GM makes you think he'll be aggressive to improve the team?  

What RFA did he not re-sign?  Since the TM core teardown, what important player has he traded away? Asplund?  What top 6 forward or top 4 did he acquire?  What prospect did he trade away to substantially upgrade his current roster?

Since the teardown, the best assets he acquired were Greenway (for a 2nd) and Clifton (a 3-year UFA contract). Both are solid depth players, but neither has elevated the team.  The rest have been junk in Eakin, Stillman, Lyubushkin, Comrie, Clague, Subban, Anderson, Dell, Pysyk, Bjork, Hagg, Hinostroza, Butcher, etc.....

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Two or less said:

I don't think they will be super quiet come trade deadline, but this summer is very important for them. Gotta shake this team up. I wish it was with the coach as well but at the very least player wise.

I hope that you are right, but I am not confident.

1 hour ago, Two or less said:

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What in Adams' history as the Sabres' GM makes you think he'll be aggressive to improve the team?  

What RFA did he not re-sign?  Since the TM core teardown, what important player has he traded away? Asplund?  What top 6 forward or top 4 did he acquire?  What prospect did he trade away to substantially upgrade his current roster?

Since the teardown, the best assets he acquired were Greenway (for a 2nd) and Clifton (a 3-year UFA contract). Both are solid depth players, but neither has elevated the team.  The rest have been junk in Eakin, Stillman, Lyubushkin, Comrie, Clague, Subban, Anderson, Dell, Pysyk, Bjork, Hagg, Hinostroza, Butcher, etc.....

I am dead set convinced that we will continue to he hampered by “noone wants to come to Buffalo” at least through next season.  And for that reason alone, we will only see changes to the roster along the margins.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.