Sabres off season targets

sweetlou

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What in Adams' history as the Sabres' GM makes you think he'll be aggressive to improve the team?  

What RFA did he not re-sign?  Since the TM core teardown, what important player has he traded away? Asplund?  What top 6 forward or top 4 did he acquire?  What prospect did he trade away to substantially upgrade his current roster?

Nothing. But not every off-season is the same. The team is in a different spot now with the teams age and expectations. 

I also think they have more intel on their own prospects now and know there isn’t enough room for all of them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they deal couple of the prospects to help the team next season. 

Then returns could be pretty significant if they deal Savoie and Rosen imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here's my KA wishlist:

1) sign a top 4 NHL Dman (~3 years)

• Ghost, Forsling, Hanifin, OEL, Skjei, Gustafsson, Tanev, Walker, DeMelo, Chycrun, Montour.

2) sign a backup to UPL (~2 years).

• Samsonov, Jones, Nedeljkovic, DeSmith, Campbell, Talbot, Quick.

3) Resign Mitts for <$7M/6 years.

Edited by seer775

A proper roster for next year:

---

Skinner - TT - Tuch

Quinn - Mitts - JJP

Greenway - Krebs - Cozens

Robinson - Girgs - Rousek/Biro

Dahlin - Mule

Power - vet 4D

RJ - Clifton

Joker

UPL - vet backup

---

🙏 One can dream 😔

Edited by seer775

1 hour ago, seer775 said:

A proper roster for next year:

---

Skinner - TT - Tuch

Quinn - Mitts - JJP

Cozens - vet 3C - Greenway

Girgs - Krebs - Rousek/Biro

Dahlin - Mule

Power - vet 4D

RJ - Clifton

Joker

UPL - vet backup

---

🙏 One can dream 😔

This is what I would do instead.

Mitts-Greenway-Tuch

Quinn-Cozens-Peterka

Benson-Vet 3C - Vet winger

Big guy - Krebs - tough guy

Power-Dahlin

Joker but preferably big vet D - Mule

RJ - Clifton

Veteran goalie

UPL back up

So trading Thompson and buying out Skinner and not re-signing Girgs or Kyle. Robinson couldn't care less either way. 

Crazy right? Like a fox. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Mitts-Greenway-Tuch

Quinn-Cozens-Peterka

Power-Dahlin

RJ - Clifton

Veteran goalie

UPL back up

So trading Thompson and buying out Skinner and not re-signing Girgs or Kyle. Robinson couldn't care less either way. 

Crazy right? Like a fox. 

TT trade is a hot take.. something tells me he doesn't want out just yet. Plus he's a total steal @ 7M.

Methinks we would be kicking ourselves if we traded him now.

Edited by seer775
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Mitts-Greenway-Tuch

Quinn-Cozens-Peterka

Power-Dahlin

RJ - Clifton

Veteran goalie

UPL back up

Crazy right? Like a fox. 

Great minds think alike or something??

I was thinking about trading Thompson also. I just could not deside wheter it is a good or a bad idéa. I haven't hade time to figure out what we could ask in return, but Elias Lindholm popped up right now, he is a player that would get the job done.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Thompson, Savoi and conditional pick for Draisaitl?  Would need to extend Draisaitl for about $12 million AAV.  

Wouldn't we be better off with Thompson and Savoie? All three are scoring centres. Plus, Thompson is way lighter on the cap hit, and Drai will be a UFA.

Edited by seer775
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Great minds think alike or something??

I was thinking about trading Thompson also. I just could not deside wheter it is a good or a bad idéa. I haven't hade time to figure out what we could ask in return, but Elias Lindholm popped up right now, he is a player that would get the job done.

Except Lindholm's a free agent this year. 

Like all trades, what you get back is what matters. I'm not trading him for picks. I'm trading him for DIFFERENT player(s). A real hockey deal (rare I know, but not impossible). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Except Lindholm's a free agent this year. 

Like all trades, what you get back is what matters. I'm not trading him for picks. I'm trading him for DIFFERENT player(s). A real hockey deal (rare I know, but not impossible). 

Absolutely, a real hockey trade, a center for a center. If Lindholm is willing to sign for five years at 8m I would not hesitate. But Couturier or Jenner or Danault can be fine too.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Absolutely, a real hockey trade, a center for a center. If Lindholm is willing to sign for five years at 8m I would not hesitate. But Couturier or Jenner or Danault can be fine too.

Couturier is very good BUT the injury would worry me. Don't see him leaving the Flyers though. I think Lindholm will end up in Boston next year via free agency. They might go a different route, but next year their cap changes significantly and he'd fit that system. 

There are many options but I'd also actually see if Ottawa wants to unload Pinto . I think he could be an ideal 3C and Thompson I'd then trade for the D man and/or goalie. Not exactly a veteran and yes, a bit of a gamble - barump bump. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

If Adams makes a bold trade right now, that would take the sting out of (probably, most likely, absolutely) missing the playoffs for the 500th year in a row 

There's always next year, though! 

Except there won't be without some moves or signings. The guys in the system might have talent, but they are either not ready or do not fill the holes on the roster we have. Next year will be the same again without some big changes. 

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Except there won't be without some moves or signings. The guys in the system might have talent, but they are either not ready or do not fill the holes on the roster we have. Next year will be the same again without some big changes. 

Ya, I was being sarcastic because that's been the common theme for 12 stinkin' years. 

I agree about big changes. It needs to be done, or this will go on for another 12 years 

• Agree 1

Would you trade Quinn for a top 4 D?  In his 17 games, he has 12 points (a 58 pts pace over 82 games).  JJP is playing at a similar level (57 pt pace).  So with Kulich, Rosen and Savoie in the pipeline, would Quinn be the logical place to look for a quality asset to acquire a top 4 D? 

Tuch Mitts Greenway has worked. JJP Cozens has also worked.  Skinner TNT we know can be effective as well.  

If you look at next year’s Sabres I see the following if Quinn is traded

Skinner, TNT, Benson

Tuch Mitts Greenway

JJP Cozens Kulich/Rosen

Robinson New Center New Player

The question is what can we get for Quinn?

I don’t think any top 4 D is going to sign here this off-season. To get one we are going to have to make a trade using young players, prospects and picks.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 1/27/2024 at 2:02 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let's see, our GM's motto is to do the absolute minimum and take the least amount of risk with FAs.  

Thus I expect 

1) UPL/Levi to be the goalies next season

2) Defense - with 5 guys under contract and a 6th (Joki) an RFA, I expect more of the same with one depth signing.

3) Forwards - 8 are under contract - Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Cozens, Quinn, JJP, Greenway and Benson.  Mitts and Krebs are RFA.  He'll re-sign Robinson and promote at least 1 of Savoie, Rosen, or Kulich.  Those 12 will be the forwards for 2024/25 with again one FA depth signing.

Don't you feel better already about next season?  Didn't think so!  

1 - I don't know what to do here.  I can't even judge them half the time because the goals are happening from unmarked high slot shots, and far post cross crease stuff that the defensemen don't take care of.  Free agent markets trash.  Trade market is limited due to clauses.  It's a mess really

2 - Realistically they have 4 - I'd consider clifton a 7 until proven otherwise.  And an abundance of lefties.  Muel needs to be on a 3rd pair, and killing penalties.  That's all he should be working on.  Block shots, tie people up, and lay the lumber occasionally.  Honestly if they're going Lefty - Lefty i'd think Johnson would be a good fit with Dahlin.  You have to be able to skate your way out occasionally, and have puck handling chops to dig a puck off the wall on your backhand.  Power has to feel sufficiently humbled after this year, so hopefully the lightbulb clicks on this offseason and he gets to working on strength, conditioning, and shooting (why can this guy not shoot, he just hesitates constantly).  

3 - I'd probably buy out skinner at this point, we'll likely have a new coach and i don't think we need to see him on his like 8th sabres coach.  Greenway should float between lines 3/4 and kill penalties.  Krebs can be non-tendered or traded, or just kept as a 13th forward.  I don't see a use for a 4th line player who doesn't kill penalties, or provide any offense.  So i'd see a scoring winger (or center), and 2 real bottom 6 forwards who can help keep the puck out of the net - which leaves 1 spot for a promoted player potentially.  Buffalo has the 3 listed, and you basically have to trade at least 1, and potentially a pick to bring in any level of impact player (if that player even exists in the world of NMCs and NTCs)

12 minutes ago, Kr632 said:

Maybe not an offseason move but I’d love for Sabres to explore this

Kid just sounds like a spoiled apple he  might be a good player But he needs a reality check.

Hopefully buffalo does not move forward with this 

Edited by Buffalonill

nice little document projecting cap hits for the upcoming free agent class:

check out how much your favorite potential acquisition is going to cost terry.

also, the current crop of sabres FA's:

Mitts:  5 years $5.9 mil

UPL:  1 year $1.7 mil

Joki:  3 years $4.3 mil

Girgs:  2 years $1.7 mil

Krebs:  2 years $2.5 mil

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.