Has a GM ever had a worse off season???

Crusader1969

Not just limiting this to the NHL or Sabres  but when has a GM had a worse off season to what Adams had last year?

What he got wrong 

1) 3 headed goalie 

2) Let Peca walk cause there was no room on the Sabres bench

3) 5 UFA signings have been meh at best, playing in the minors at worse 

4) didn't sign guys who could make a difference on the 4th line  team lacked  sandpaper last year and he did nothing to rectify   

5) didn't find the vet partner for Power

6) didn't go outside the organization to fill in for Quinn

7) Didn't find a trade partner for #71 

8- didn't see the issues with the PP last year - one timer for Tage was all they had.   PP dried up late last season and died this season.  Left in the hands of Matt Ellis 

the one thing he didn't do that would clinch "worst ever" is sign someone to a too long, too much UFA contract 

what he got right 

1) drafted Benson.  Seems the draft class again is once again pretty decent from top to bottom

2) didn't strangle himself with a long term , high salary UFA 

3) built a pretty good Amerks team

I would say his in season GM'ing hasn't been much better 

• Like (+1) 9

This Peca thing is all wrong.  Peca is better off working for Laviolette than for DG.  He already knows what DG teaches, and what he doesn’t.  Seeing Laviolette put his system in, in one off-season (like normal), is a great experience for him.  

If you think Peca is a good HC candidate someday then be happy for him now.  He is working with a proven Cup winning coach.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not just limiting this to the NHL or Sabres  but when has a GM had a worse off season to what Adams had last year?

What he got wrong 

1) 3 headed goalie 

4) didn't sign guys who could make a difference on the 4th line  team lacked  sandpaper last year and he did nothing to rectify   

8- didn't see the issues with the PP last year - one timer for Tage was all they had.   PP dried up late last season and died this season.  Left in the hands of Matt Ellis 

the one thing he didn't do that would clinch "worst ever" is sign someone to a too long, too much UFA contract 

what he got right 

1) drafted Benson.  Seems the draft class again is once again pretty decent from top to bottom

To the question yes, it was a horrible off season with only one idea and that was these kids will grow into a force as is. Stay the course and that's it. 

To the bold, I hated that more than anything this year and have said so. Big mistake. I was a huge Peca fan back when he was a Sabre player and was gutted by the way he left the team. Devastating. Peca was a true leader, a real captain, and he played 100% the "right way" as they say. If we had a Peca captain on this team I am sure things would be different so having a Peca coach was the next best thing. 

I suspect, however, that Peca's philosophy does not mesh with Granato's philosophy and Granato didn't want him as an assistant and since Granato is Adams' guy that was that. 

My dream hope is that Brind'Amour will in fact be available come season end, Adams will hire him and maybe we also bring back Peca as his main assistant. Pipe dream. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This Peca thing is all wrong.  Peca is better off working for Laviolette than for DG.  He already knows what DG teaches, and what he doesn’t.  Seeing Laviolette put his system in, in one off-season (like normal), is a great experience for him.  

If you think Peca is a good HC candidate someday then be happy for him now.  He is working proven Cup winning coach.  

Not to mention that there is no evidence that Peca would be any better then who they have.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

To the question yes, it was a horrible off season with only one idea and that was these kids will grow into a force as is. Stay the course and that's it. 

To the bold, I hated that more than anything this year and have said so. Big mistake. I was a huge Peca fan back when he was a Sabre player and was gutted by the way he left the team. Devastating. Peca was a true leader, a real captain, and he played 100% the "right way" as they say. If we had a Peca captain on this team I am sure things would be different so having a Peca coach was the next best thing. 

I suspect, however, that Peca's philosophy does not mesh with Granato's philosophy and Granato didn't want him as an assistant and since Granato is Adams' guy that was that. 

My dream hope is that Brind'Amour will in fact be available come season end, Adams will hire him and maybe we also bring back Peca as his main assistant. Pipe dream. 

Again, what evidence is there that Peca will be a good coach? I too, loved the player and hated the way that ended but it has nothing to do with his coaching abilities.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Not to mention that there is no evidence that Peca would be any better then who they have.

He flat out couldn't be any worse.  (Speaking as an AC.  The jury hasn't even been sent notices as to how he'd be as a HC at this time.)

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

What he got wrong 

1) 3 headed goalie 

what he got right 

1. Agreed Levi should have been in Rochester in November and stayed there 

2 and 8 No changes in Assistant Coaches was bad. Should have made a move here

3 and 5 Yep 

4. Tried to keep the vibes from last year and signed them as a thank you for years of service, needs to be more cut throat there. Hathaway would have have been nice

6. Is a tough one. The UFAs that were looking for one year deals were hesitant as they did not know what their role would be when  Quinn came and I’m not sure the front office was completely in the playoff or bust mode this year

8. Every NHL team has scouts that could see how bad VO was at the end of the season. His contract limited the number of teams that could take on his full salary to about eight, a number of those teams are rebuilding modes and would’ve required another asset to go to them in a trade. As the Sabres are not in any financial constraints, it didn’t make much sense for them to add an asset just to get rid of a player and I do not  believe that salary retention was ever an option either to make a deal

What’s the “worst” is ultimately too subjective to definitively define. Do you judge based on failing to accomplish on one’s aims or having a terrible strategy? 07 for example, they tried and failed to bring back their core players. The intention wasn’t to willingly move on. This offseason, Adams did exactly what he wanted to, his plan was just awful.

What’s worse? Trying and being too incompetent to succeed or being incapable of achieving the desired result even when you get your way and implement the plan of your choosing? I’d say Adams is worse, presumably if Regier at least delivered on his plan we’d be good. Adams plan was bad either way apparently. 

Makes the likelihood for future success lower

Now, you may judge based on opportunity lost, in which case Regier’s 07 might be more to your fancy 

There’s a veritable smorgasbord of ineptitude to choose from, Choose Your Own Adventure!

Edited by Thorny

Standings say Ottawa's GM. I think he's since been fired. Giroux and Chechryun fail.  How about Pittsburgh if they miss?  And Leafs if they don't advance?  Islanders struggling too.  I know it sucks around here 13 years and another one coming but I think Clifton and EJ were exactly what the team needed.  Goalie problem but who knows what was available.  Forwards regressed and Coach hit ceiling. Sucks.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I still think Benson would've been better off playing juniors this season.

He has 0 points in his last 10 and was healthied last might.    Not great for his development.

He's only played 37 games.  If he really would be better off playing in juniors, they could send him down and he wouldn't earn an accrued year of NHL service.  He's burned a year of the ELC but for 2 more games is no closer to RFA w/ arbitration rights nor UFA status.  (Don't believe he was placed on IR earlier in the year that he was out a few games.  If he was on IR for at least 3 games then the accrued season boat has sailed.)

And regaardless of the accrued season issue, he can always get sent back down to Juniors.  Just he can't come back until his team's season is over except on an emergency basis.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Again, what evidence is there that Peca will be a good coach? I too, loved the player and hated the way that ended but it has nothing to do with his coaching abilities.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

If you think Peca is a good HC candidate someday then be happy for him now.  He is working proven Cup winning coach.  

Peca is better off but I'm worrying about the Sabres.  No way they wouldn't benefit from him working the PP and teaching them how to win face offs 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

There is no evidence, BUT we all know they only hire inexperienced guys (in terms of NHL coaching) and we all assume Peca will make them play like Peca. 

Honestly, can't be worse than it is. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.