Has a GM ever had a worse off season???

Crusader1969

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Darcy Reiger 2007 comes to mind pretty quick.  

And that is just for the Sabres.  The possibilities around just the NHL are endless.  

I could easily make the arguement that several other teams had worse offseasons than the Sabres last summer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

And that is just for the Sabres.  The possibilities around just the NHL are endless.  

I could easily make the arguement that several other teams had worse offseasons than the Sabres last summer.

Yep that was a bad off-season for sure   Remind me was it the Sabres decision to not sign Briere or Drury? I think they thought they would be able re-sign drury and let Briere walk  

It was probably the off-season where this franchise became a joke.  Sure they were able to make the playoffs a couple of times after this but never really considered to be cup contenders  

Just looked it up, Sabres have not won a playoff series since this off-season!!! Wow 

Edited by Crusader1969

38 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Yep that was a bad off-season for sure   Remind me was it the Sabres decision to not sign Briere or Drury? I think they thought they would be able re-sign drury and let Briere walk  

It was probably the off-season where this franchise became a joke.  Sure they were able to make the playoffs a couple of times after this but never really considered to be cup contenders  

Just looked it up, Sabres have not won a playoff series since this off-season!!! Wow 

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not going to argue further than this but you suggested certain people should leave.

ANYONE who suggests someone should leave, needs to be told. 

If being here was making their lives miserable. I was offering them a solution, lol. Settle down dude.

48 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

If being here was making their lives miserable. I was offering them a solution, lol. Settle down dude.

are you younger? 

I find in general the younger fans simply don't get the full level of frustration. They don't remember what it used to be. They just don't get it. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

are you younger? 

I find in general the younger fans simply don't get the full level of frustration. They don't remember what it used to be. They just don't get it. 

No, I'm 59 and have been a fan for 50 years this year. I'm familiar with the level of frustration, but in my opinion blowing up the team would be tragic. We're fine if we stay the course with significant tweaks along the way. Some people are tired of hearing about it, but we ARE the youngest team in the league and will get better as other teams age out a bit. It's an attempt to set us for long-term success, with a great cap situation. People need to settle down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sabres73 said:

No, I'm 59 and have been a fan for 50 years this year. I'm familiar with the level of frustration, but in my opinion blowing up the team would be tragic. We're fine if we stay the course with significant tweaks along the way. Some people are tired of hearing about it, but we ARE the youngest team in the league and will get better as other teams age out a bit. It's an attempt to set us for long-term success, with a great cap situation. People need to settle down.

I agree with everything you are saying here.  Until the last sentence.

Telling people that are frustrated and venting to settle down is off putting in any situation.

Countering their points the way you did is perfect, but I humbly suggest that you end it there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I agree with everything you are saying here.  Until the last sentence.

Telling people that are frustrated and venting to settle down is off putting in any situation.

Countering their points the way you did is perfect, but I humbly suggest that you end it there.

Attempting to normalize the world-wide anomaly that is the (sports-relative) suffering of the Buffalo Sabres is just gaslighting. If any fans have a right to complain, it’s Sabres fans 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

Attempting to normalize the world-wide anomaly that is the (sports-relative) suffering of the Buffalo Sabres is just gaslighting. If any fans have a right to complain, it’s Sabres fans 

Gaslighting, lol. Okay. Panties in full twist mode.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:26 PM, Crusader1969 said:

Not just limiting this to the NHL or Sabres  but when has a GM had a worse off season to what Adams had last year?

What he got wrong 

1) 3 headed goalie 

2) Let Peca walk cause there was no room on the Sabres bench

3) 5 UFA signings have been meh at best, playing in the minors at worse 

4) didn't sign guys who could make a difference on the 4th line  team lacked  sandpaper last year and he did nothing to rectify   

5) didn't find the vet partner for Power

6) didn't go outside the organization to fill in for Quinn

7) Didn't find a trade partner for #71 

8- didn't see the issues with the PP last year - one timer for Tage was all they had.   PP dried up late last season and died this season.  Left in the hands of Matt Ellis 

the one thing he didn't do that would clinch "worst ever" is sign someone to a too long, too much UFA contract 

what he got right 

1) drafted Benson.  Seems the draft class again is once again pretty decent from top to bottom

2) didn't strangle himself with a long term , high salary UFA 

3) built a pretty good Amerks team

I would say his in season GM'ing hasn't been much better 

I'm going to guess yes. Much worse.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Another great post.

Do you even know what the term means?

Let's see, my age getting questioned, now questioning my intellect. I'm going to say yes, I'm aware of what it means. Thanks for your sarcasm - that's also "great".

And all this because I choose to be positive about this team and not have a complete meltdown when they have challenges.  LOL

6 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

Let's see, my age getting questioned, now questioning my intellect. I'm going to say yes, I'm aware of what it means. Thanks for your sarcasm - that's also "great".

And all this because I choose to be positive about this team and not have a complete meltdown when they have challenges.  LOL

Again, no one is questioning your stance on the Sabres situation.  I agree with you on that.  I was not questioning your intellect, just pointing out that if you are laughing at a gaslighting post in this thread you may not understand the real meaning of the term.  It is used incorrectly much of the time out there in the interwebs in much the same way that woke has been hijacked.

Telling others that disagree with you that they need to relax is not a good look.  Making light of a perfectly good comment by a veteran poster and then LOLing about his post is not a good look.  Panties in a twist is not a good look.  Talking about posters that disagree with you on 'tearing it down' having a complete meltdown when the team faces challenges is not a good look.  LOLing about your meltdown comment is a terrible look.

10 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Again, no one is questioning your stance on the Sabres situation.  I agree with you on that.  I was not questioning your intellect, just pointing out that if you are laughing at a gaslighting post in this thread you may not understand the real meaning of the term.  It is used incorrectly much of the time out there in the interwebs in much the same way that woke has been hijacked.

Telling others that disagree with you that they need to relax is not a good look.  Making light of a perfectly good comment by a veteran poster and then LOLing about his post is not a good look.  Panties in a twist is not a good look.  Talking about posters that disagree with you on 'tearing it down' having a complete meltdown when the team faces challenges is not a good look.  LOLing about your meltdown comment is a terrible look.

Thanks for the patronizing lecture. I'll say what I want, thank you very much.

Adam's sin this past off-season was not doing enough.  

Our list this off-season was 

1. Upgrading the defense, including but not limited to adding a top 4 D partner for Power.   Adams added EJ and Clifton.  Clifton struggled early, but his play has dramatically improved and now looks like a solid acquisition.  EJ has been better than Lyubuskin and Stillman.  Where he failed was not getting a partner for Power, although Ryan J is looking to capture that role.  Overall, between EJ, Clifton, and Ryan J our defense has been upgraded year over year, just not enough.

2. Better goaltending.  We demanded better goaltending.  Nearly everyone outside the Sabres brain trust (and @JohnC), wanted a proven goalie.  Adams was pretty clear he was counting on UPL, Levi, and Comrie and wasn't looking for upgrades outside the organization.  This was a huge failure on his part as all 3, especially Levi and Comrie. struggled to start the season and that helped sink the team for the season.  UPL has improved throughout the season and Levi's game has been better as the season has worn on but inconsistent to say the least. 

3.  In Adams' mind Greenway was the big "off-season" forward acquisition.  He then brought back everyone else, while Benson made the team at 18.  I guess he assumed that everyone who had career years last year would simply build on last season instead of regressing.  Injuries have been a huge factor in the regression, but KA again failed to build the necessary depth to weather the injuries.  It was clear late last season that Jost wasn't very good and VO got benched.  Neither guy should have returned.  Also, it was time to move on from at least one of Z and or KO, but that didn't happen either.  The Sabres are paying the price for the lack of real depth as all these guys failed to step up as the injuries occurred.  It would have been nice to get additional center help and at least one more physical forward to help make the team tougher.  Hopefully, Adams will learn from his mistakes and make more of an effort at better forward depth at the deadline and in the off-season.

Deadline and off-season plan

1) Continue to fix the defense.  Move on from EJ and Jokiharju and find a top 4 D to play with either Dahlin or Power.  Ryan J will take the other role.

2) Clean out the dead wood at forward and get a physical forward and a 3/4 center.  KO, Z, Jost, and Krebs need to be replaced.

3) Don't expect any changes in goal, except Comrie will be gone.  UPL/Levi are almost certainly the goalies for next season, unless Levi struggles for the Amerks down the stretch.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

What about a President of Hockey Ops above Adams? 

I think a person over Adams is exactly what the Sabres need right now. 

Is there any executives out there with league connections to facilitate trades?

Preferably someone outside the Sabres organization without connections to the Sabres player development system. 

Would whoever comes in immediately trade every available asset and upset the apple cart? 

Is this a retread position or is there room for new names? 

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Adam's sin this past off-season was not doing enough.  

Our list this off-season was 

1. Upgrading the defense, including but not limited to adding a top 4 D partner for Power.   Adams added EJ and Clifton.  Clifton struggled early, but his play has dramatically improved and now looks like a solid acquisition.  EJ has been better than Lyubuskin and Stillman.  Where he failed was not getting a partner for Power, although Ryan J is looking to capture that role.  Overall, between EJ, Clifton, and Ryan J our defense has been upgraded year over year, just not enough.

2. Better goaltending.  We demanded better goaltending.  Nearly everyone outside the Sabres brain trust (and @JohnC), wanted a proven goalie.  Adams was pretty clear he was counting on UPL, Levi, and Comrie and wasn't looking for upgrades outside the organization.  This was a huge failure on his part as all 3, especially Levi and Comrie. struggled to start the season and that helped sink the team for the season.  UPL has improved throughout the season and Levi's game has been better as the season has worn on but inconsistent to say the least. 

3.  In Adams' mind Greenway was the big "off-season" forward acquisition.  He then brought back everyone else, while Benson made the team at 18.  I guess he assumed that everyone who had career years last year would simply build on last season instead of regressing.  Injuries have been a huge factor in the regression, but KA again failed to build the necessary depth to weather the injuries.  It was clear late last season that Jost wasn't very good and VO got benched.  Neither guy should have returned.  Also, it was time to move on from at least one of Z and or KO, but that didn't happen either.  The Sabres are paying the price for the lack of real depth as all these guys failed to step up as the injuries occurred.  It would have been nice to get additional center help and at least one more physical forward to help make the team tougher.  Hopefully, Adams will learn from his mistakes and make more of an effort at better forward depth at the deadline and in the off-season.

Deadline and off-season plan

1) Continue to fix the defense.  Move on from EJ and Jokiharju and find a top 4 D to play with either Dahlin or Power.  Ryan J will take the other role.

2) Clean out the dead wood at forward and get a physical forward and a 3/4 center.  KO, Z, Jost, and Krebs need to be replaced.

3) Don't expect any changes in goal, except Comrie will be gone.  UPL/Levi are almost certainly the goalies for next season, unless Levi struggles for the Amerks down the stretch.

What you are basically suggesting although not intended is mostly to stay the course. We have our two goalies in UPL and Levi. Correct me if I am wrong, but you wanted to jettison UPL this offseason? He seems to have crossed the boundary from prospect to authentic NHL goalie. How good will he be? As you well know, when assessing young goalies it is best to be humble. It's not unusual that a good year is followed by a down year reprising the goalie argument again. My prediction is that in the long-run Levi is going to be our primary goalie. 

As you pointed out, Eric Johnson is an upgrade from Lyubushin and Stillman. EJ is on a one-year contract. He was on a one year contract. So after this season he will be gone. I would prefer that a Clifton caliber defender be added to the unit this offseason. I would rather see the high amount of money needed for a second pairing defender be dedicated to signing Mitts. I believe that Ryan Johnson is capable of being the B player on the first and second pairing. I also like Joki more than most. 

Okposo is one of the most honorable and honest players on this team. It's time to retire. I would rather keep Girgs. He would be a good fourth line player for us because of his size, speed and grit. 

The Sabres earned 75 points in the 2021 season. The Sabres then earned 91 points in the 2022 season. That is a significant leap forward. My projection is that the Sabres will be in the 90 range this season. Without question, this has been a disappointing year much of it due to reasonable higher expectations. I still contend (minority view) that we are not out of the playoff race. We shall see. 

My recommendation is to in general stay the course that already has been set. When looking at this franchise from a broader overview perspective this franchise is not that far away from being a serious team. The last thing this franchise needs is another plan to follow. My recommendation for this front office is to be brave, trust in your plan, and with some modest adjustments to stay the course. The last thing that this franchise needs is a major shakeup. 

• Agree 1

On 1/29/2024 at 11:48 AM, Norcal said:

What about a President of Hockey Ops above Adams? 

I think a person over Adams is exactly what the Sabres need right now. 

Is there any executives out there with league connections to facilitate trades?

Preferably someone outside the Sabres organization without connections to the Sabres player development system. 

Would whoever comes in immediately trade every available asset and upset the apple cart? 

Is this a retread position or is there room for new names? 

Pegula doesn't like or believe in this model of operation and it will likely never happen while he is here.

Edited by Big Guava

On 1/25/2024 at 7:26 PM, Crusader1969 said:

Not just limiting this to the NHL or Sabres  but when has a GM had a worse off season to what Adams had last year?

What he got wrong 

1) 3 headed goalie 

2) Let Peca walk cause there was no room on the Sabres bench

3) 5 UFA signings have been meh at best, playing in the minors at worse 

4) didn't sign guys who could make a difference on the 4th line  team lacked  sandpaper last year and he did nothing to rectify   

5) didn't find the vet partner for Power

6) didn't go outside the organization to fill in for Quinn

7) Didn't find a trade partner for #71 

8- didn't see the issues with the PP last year - one timer for Tage was all they had.   PP dried up late last season and died this season.  Left in the hands of Matt Ellis 

the one thing he didn't do that would clinch "worst ever" is sign someone to a too long, too much UFA contract 

what he got right 

1) drafted Benson.  Seems the draft class again is once again pretty decent from top to bottom

2) didn't strangle himself with a long term , high salary UFA 

3) built a pretty good Amerks team

I would say his in season GM'ing hasn't been much better 

As an Amerks season ticket holder I can tell you that yes, they are pretty good. The problem is that their players are exactly what the Sabres already have. Small, decently skilled, pretty good speed but soft as h*ll. They are the exact same team, PP is terrible, PK is terrible and 5 on 5 is pretty good. Nobody here is replacing anyone there because they play the exact same game. 

2 hours ago, Southern Sabres Fan said:

As an Amerks season ticket holder I can tell you that yes, they are pretty good. The problem is that their players are exactly what the Sabres already have. Small, decently skilled, pretty good speed but soft as h*ll. They are the exact same team, PP is terrible, PK is terrible and 5 on 5 is pretty good. Nobody here is replacing anyone there because they play the exact same game. 

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for that perspective.  As we all suspect, GMKA will need to tear himself away from his attachment to his prospects before the team can become better-rounded.

• Like (+1) 2

Darcy Regier had about a seven year run, beginning with the Drury/Briere/Vanek-offer-sheet debacle, and culminating with a team so devoid of hope that the only option was to Tank. And there are other examples from other eras that represent far worse GM seasons than this one. This year is nothing!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.