When are things going to change?

SabreSam

Tonight I took my entire family to the Bruins game.  They seemed to come out ok, but the moment the Bruins went on the power play, they folded like a tent.  Once the first goal went in, the wind went out of their sails.  Poor passing led to turnovers and scoring chances.  

I am frustrated to have to pay what I did to see a garbage product on the ice.  There’s no accountability and seemingly no answers from anyone.  I have been a Sabres fan for my entire life.  I don’t think I have ever felt as dejected as I do tonight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 5

Probably when Pegula sells. Kevyn is his boy that he trusts. That is not changing. Adams believes in his plan. 

Terry doesn’t trust experienced NHL people.

If this continues to spiral and the fans rebel then maybe Granato gets canned but I have no faith in them bringing in the type of coaching staff they need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, SabreSam said:

Tonight I took my entire family to the Bruins game.  They seemed to come out ok, but the moment the Bruins went on the power play, they folded like a tent.  Once the first goal went in, the wind went out of their sails.  Poor passing led to turnovers and scoring chances.  

I am frustrated to have to pay what I did to see a garbage product on the ice.  There’s no accountability and seemingly no answers from anyone.  I have been a Sabres fan for my entire life.  I don’t think I have ever felt as dejected as I do tonight.

You'll just have to have patience. There isn't much else to say really. We all wish the nightmare to end, but it hasn't yet.

14 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Maybe the arena needs to be empty, straight up 500 fans or less. 

As long as the building is making money, they don't have to change anything. 

Even if there was zero fans at the Buffalo Sabres games it doesn’t matter to Terry Pegula because he offsets the losses with his huge Buffalo Bills profits. Plus he runs everything entertainment wise out of Key Bank Center. New York State just handed Terry Pegula $850 million dollars of public tax dollars so it’s like he got the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bandits and control of Key Bank Center for free think about it. The Buffalo sports teams may lose but Terry Pegula is a winner in the most important scoreboard category for owners profits. So I don’t see the Sabres going anywhere like moving out of Buffalo and Terry Pegula doesn’t have to do a thing as values continue to climb for NFL and NHL franchises. When the new Bills Stadium opens he is going to get foolish Bills fans to pay him PSL’s for the right to buy a Bills ticket on top of the $850 million dollars the state gave him and he is going to go after another bit at the New York Apple when his Sabres Key Bank Center lease is up in a few years for more free public tax dollars it’s good to be the King Terry Pegula. Like I said in the past get use to Buffalo always has a NHL franchise but don’t expect much more than that from Terry Pegula ownership. He probably figures eventually I will get lucky like the Buffalo Bills with the Buffalo Sabres so he isn’t going to do anything but count his free tax dollars money, Bills PSL’s money and tax write offs on the Sabres losses and it’s legal for billionaire rich people like I said it’s good to be the King Terry Pegula in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SabreSam said:

Yes, been there done that.  Wasted a lot of money too. 

The home record has been bad for a long time.  You didn’t mention the dark atmosphere, the bad food, and the overall bad fan experience.  The place is a morgue.  Worst NHL experience I’ve ever had.  The seats are far away from the ice, there is no intimacy or energy.  I hate going there and I stopped going after the first month.  Enough. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Probably when Pegula sells. Kevyn is his boy that he trusts. That is not changing. Adams believes in his plan. 

Terry doesn’t trust experienced NHL people.

If this continues to spiral and the fans rebel then maybe Granato gets canned but I have no faith in them bringing in the type of coaching staff they need.

I thought I heard last year that bruce Bordeaux (sp) would coach anywhere. Hes a nhl coach with experience winning 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OverPowerYou said:

If someone gave me season tickets in the best seats I’d decline 

Honestly, other than to sell them to someone else, why would you take them at this point?  Go down there 41 times? For what? They aren't worth the time investment let alone gas, parking and food and they aren't even entertaining most nights either. 

They've only won 3 times all year when the other team scores first.  3 times.  Once at home. ONCE. Down 1-0, the game is over 86% of the time in any venue, at home it's over 89% of the time.  That's embarrassing and demoralizing for all of us.  If I flip on a game and I see they are down 1-0 or 2-0 like they were tonight I just turn it back off.  They're done.  They just roll over and lose. For comparison, another team who is almost as bad as them is Calgary. Calgary has come from behind 7 times and has a winning record at home when they get scored on first (5-3). The Sabres are 1-7-1.  So if I make the commitment to drive down there to watch them play and they cough up a goal before I even get my seat warm, I'd might as well get up and go back home because they aren't going to mount a comeback, they're just going to quit. That's really tough to stomach as a paying customer and I don't blame a soul who doesn't do it.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, SabreSam said:

Still a nice thing for the family. Spot on the product should be worth the money. Something I think the team could improve for their confide and competitiveness is the PP. 

Start with that or anything really. Make a part of the game a focus to improve on and build some confidence with results. 

3 hours ago, SabreSam said:

Really amazing to see how the Bruins passed the puck on the power play like it was on a string bing bang boom and in the net...Sabres players went out to them and before they got there it was gone to the next player.

Sabres need to put that on replay over and over again as an example of what they need to do. Their power play is so bad, they can barely even get a shot on goal when they get set up in the zone. They pass it around endlessly and then either get their shot blocked or lose the puck and it ends up down the ice. Or make a bad pass out of the zone. Or shoot it wide and out of the zone.

They have way too much talent to look that bad on the PP.

59 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

Really amazing to see how the Bruins passed the puck on the power play like it was on a string bing bang boom and in the net...Sabres players went out to them and before they got there it was gone to the next player.

Sabres need to put that on replay over and over again as an example of what they need to do. Their power play is so bad, they can barely even get a shot on goal when they get set up in the zone. They pass it around endlessly and then either get their shot blocked or lose the puck and it ends up down the ice. Or make a bad pass out of the zone. Or shoot it wide and out of the zone.

Ya, and the PP for Boston is actually not a strength. Highly criticized as a team weakness, BUT they practice and play like a team. Everybody has their assignment and they know how to keep the motion going and where their team mates are going to go and they stick to it - like many teams. 

Sabres? As always, too much individual play, over play, panic under pressure, and as ever virtually no net front. SOFT. 

3 hours ago, Big Guava said:

Talent and skill is not translating to performance.   The PP has been bad for a year.  This coaching staff has no answers. Other teams figured it out and that’s all this staff has.  

Inept is a word to describe them. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Even if there was zero fans at the Buffalo Sabres games it doesn’t matter to Terry Pegula because he offsets the losses with his huge Buffalo Bills profits. Plus he runs everything entertainment wise out of Key Bank Center. New York State just handed Terry Pegula $850 million dollars of public tax dollars so it’s like he got the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bandits and control of Key Bank Center for free think about it. The Buffalo sports teams may lose but Terry Pegula is a winner in the most important scoreboard category for owners profits. So I don’t see the Sabres going anywhere like moving out of Buffalo and Terry Pegula doesn’t have to do a thing as values continue to climb for NFL and NHL franchises. When the new Bills Stadium opens he is going to get foolish Bills fans to pay him PSL’s for the right to buy a Bills ticket on top of the $850 million dollars the state gave him and he is going to go after another bit at the New York Apple when his Sabres Key Bank Center lease is up in a few years for more free public tax dollars it’s good to be the King Terry Pegula. Like I said in the past get use to Buffalo always has a NHL franchise but don’t expect much more than that from Terry Pegula ownership. He probably figures eventually I will get lucky like the Buffalo Bills with the Buffalo Sabres so he isn’t going to do anything but count his free tax dollars money, Bills PSL’s money and tax write offs on the Sabres losses and it’s legal for billionaire rich people like I said it’s good to be the King Terry Pegula in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Pegulaville

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No. Good ***** God. Get a guy who's been an nhl head coach or at least a professional head coach.

Where does this type of news media come from?  NY Post, X, after the whistle?  

Just sound bites tossed into the social media jungle?    .   

Michael is a very nice guy, lots of great qualities.  But really, as a first year assistant coach in the NHL what is he doing to “Turbo Charge” the Rangers?    What are the facts behind the story?   Is Laviolette just a figure head?  I doubt it.  

I expect Peca will be an NHL HC someday.  I hope he doesn’t jump back to Buffalo before he is ready.  It might ruin him.  

Took the family to the game tonight.  The amount of Bruins fans there was stunning.  They had practically all the seats in the lower bowl surrounding the end where the Bruins shoot twice.  That game was absolutely brutal to watch.  Brutal..  I get Toronto fans taking over, but Boston fans?

The Sabres have absolutely no clue how to execute on the power play.  Zero, none, zip, nada, zilch.  They just pass from player to player and never to a player in a shooting position.  Ultimately, they turn the puck over as Boston challenges the puck.  And then on the PK, they just sit in a box around the goalie allowing Boston to have shooting lanes. 

There was one moment on the PK that I saw so clearly.  Buffalo had three players on their blue line as a Boston skater approached with the puck.  They all fell back in unison and just let him enter the zone uncontested.  So very aggravating.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wjag said:

Took the family to the game tonight.  The amount of Bruins fans there was stunning.  They had practically all the seats in the lower bowl surrounding the end where the Bruins shoot twice.  That game was absolutely brutal to watch.  Brutal..  I get Toronto fans taking over, but Boston fans?

The Sabres have absolutely no clue how to execute on the power play.  Zero, none, zip, nada, zilch.  They just pass from player to player and never to a player in a shooting position.  Ultimately, they turn the puck over as Boston challenges the puck.  And then on the PK, they just sit in a box around the goalie allowing Boston to have shooting lanes. 

There was one moment on the PK that I saw so clearly.  Buffalo had three players on their blue line as a Boston skater approached with the puck.  They all fell back in unison and just let him enter the zone uncontested.  So very aggravating.

I've been to 3 games this seadon so far. It was clear at each one that the organization long ago lost the support of its own market fan base. This is what 12 years of bad hockey will do to a small market team like the Sabres. When opponents come to Buffalo now, most nights it's like an additional home game for them. 

And let's be honest with ourselves, most opponents that come to play in Buffalo, ya, it's like a warm up practice for them. Yes, our team plays hockey that badly.

My answer to the question....not until the off-season.  DG has a contract for another 2 seasons, so Pegula might eat the $4 million then.  The challenge is finding an experienced HC with a proven record that would be willing to take over this mess.  Player changes will take the form of our FA's leaving and replacing them with bargain basement acquisitions.

I don't know what can change that will make this team good right now.

I like what Granatohas done, and I really like him as a coach and I'm sick of changing coaches. I don't want him gone, but at some point.... When are the forwards going to learn to play a full game? They obviously don't. And by the way that starts down in Rochester. If you make a coaching change you got to clean house everywhere.

I don't want the top 3-4 guys on defense to change. Dahlin, Power, and Samuelson I think are going to be a great... Not a good, but a great top three that will be able to control games from the back end. BUT... With a couple exceptions defenseman don't hit their prime until their middle till late 20s. Those three might form an elite defensive unit, but it's not going to happen for a few more years.

The forwards? For this team to go tage Thompson has to score 40 to 50. He's great, but is he that great where you can rely on him for that? Cozens is likable, he's full of energy, he has talent, but honestly he has been pretty bad this year, he's a train wreck in his own end, he needs to be a lot better. Tuch and Skinner are what they are.... When Tage is going they are good enough wingers to form a great first line, but you need Tage healthy and he has to be on the top of his game.

Last year kids line... Maybe when they are back together and fully healthy that gets Cozens going? Mitts... Is he good? Is he going to be here next year? Is he good when he is facing bottom paired defenseman but can you rely on him for more than that?

It's frustrating. I really do believe the top three guys on defense can be the core of a very good to great team. But I believe that Power is not playing good right now and I think those three guys need a couple more years to reach their peak. The forwards have to carry this team in the meantime, but there's just too many questions, too many things you can't rely on with them, and they either have to learn or before us to learn how to play in their own end.

The main difference between this team this year and last year...it comes down to three things: Tage, Cozens, and the power play. If those two players and the power play in general were performing at the rate that they were last year.... Most of the problems of this team would be gone. Statistically they account for seemingly 90% of the shortcomings. But was last year an anomaly? The power place certainly needs to be better.

42 minutes ago, wjag said:

Welcome back, my friend, to the show that never ends ... It's been a while since we have seen you around here ... sent you a beer thingie.

9 hours ago, SabreSam said:

Welcome !!  Sent you a beer thingie.

Our fearless leader says things will be better next Thursday.  By the law of averages it has to get better at some point.  Actually, things have improved significantly in the last few year, but at glacial pace, which is too slowly for most of us fans.  No one else seems to care.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.