Jack Quinn set to make season debut, Dec 19, 2023

LGR4GM

• LGR4GM changed the title to Jack Quinn set to make season debut, Dec 19, 2023
14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Nearly six months to the day since his surgery and with the recovery window being 4-6, I don’t feel like they’re rushing him back in the least, but I’m still surprised he’s back before the new year.

Had predicted they had the Columbus home game pencilled in for his return.  But expected it was the one right after Christmas.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yay for Quinn to be back.

Logistically speaking: now GMKA can trade Olofsson as was anticipated all summer. 

Benson sticking makes that work too.  Just need greenway and skinner back.  Greenway would send murray back down.  

At this point, comrie needs to go first though.  No need to carry a 3rd goalie who is a liability. 

If everyone were healthy this is i think how it would look (line combos aren't that important, just thinking of roster construction).  They'd be one over with skinner/greenway/girgs all returning.  

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - JJP
Benson - Mitts - Greenway
Girgs - Krebs - Okposo
Robinson, Jost, olofsson 

Dahlin - Samuelsson
Power - Jokiharju
Johnson - Clifton
Johnson

UPL
Levi

2 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

Maybe he can help Cozens pick up his game; they had great chemistry last season.

Hopefully.  Him and Thompson having off years (likely both injury related, and returning before fully ready) is killing the offense.  With Skinner now out, they're going to need someone to help put the puck in the net.  

47 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - JJP
Benson - Mitts - Greenway
Girgs - Krebs - Okposo
Robinson, Jost, olofsson 

I kind of think Skinner should move off the top line if everyone is healthy. I'm also not sure Mitts should be our 3rd line center. So far we haven't had a proper 3rd line all season. I'm almost inclined to have Cozens center the 3rd line until/unless he gets back to the level of production from late last year. Although reuniting him with Quinn and JJP could be the spark to get him going again on a more consistent basis.

I'd still consider something like this:

JJP - Thompson - Tuch
Skinner - Mitts - Quinn
Benson - Cozens - Greenway
Robinson/Girgs - Krebs - Okposo
Jost, Oloffsson

Although Benson has looked pretty good on that top line, and I might not mess with it unless either he starts to struggle or to try to get the 2nd/3rd line going.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not really worried about him getting injured again. I'm just afraid it is going to take a long while for him to get back to where he was, let alone progress to being better. I hope its not the case, but I can see him being kinda just like a body skating around out there and not contributing much for the rest of the year.

I would have really liked to see him with a 2 week conditioniong stint in Rochester. But, the team knows more than I do about his condition.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Increasingly incensed I guess, but this board is full of posters who realized exactly what we’d miss by not replacing him 

but overall, there’s no denying Quinn a represents a huge advantage for us going forward. Good player will, imo, be out best F 

Edited by Thorny

25 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

He bridged the gap with VO.

Reminds me of when homer tried to jump the gap on Bart’s skateboard in The Simpsons.

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

A+ reference 

Yeah, kudos here. But Homer did that out of love for Bart. Kevyn did that because he hates us. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

He's playing well, but 2 things:

1.  Project that over 82 games and that is a 90 point pace. BETTER, but not like they are even playing at a pace that would get them sniffing a playoff spot.

2.  If he is that valuable to the team, all the much harder it would be to replace him, and the harder of a deal/move that would have been needed to have been made.

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

He's playing well, but 2 things:

1.  Project that over 82 games and that is a 90 point pace. BETTER, but not like they are even playing at a pace that would get them sniffing a playoff spot.

2.  If he is that valuable to the team, all the much harder it would be to replace him, and the harder of a deal/move that would have been needed to have been made.

And don’t forget the issues that often arise with drawing such a strong causation from a small sample size. Samuelsson playing last year was apparently the simple key to success

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And don’t forget the issues that often arise with drawing such a strong causation from a small sample size. Samuelsson playing last year was apparently the simple key to success

Yes, You know what else happened since Quinn came back? Comrie hasn't played. Tage Thompson has scored 7 goals in 9 of those games.  I'm not putting Quinn's play down, but those 2 other things might be a much greater impact on the Sabres playing slightly better over the last 10 games than Quinn in the lineup himself.

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No it wasn't and anyone who looked at more than wins and loses should have thought that. 

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Yes, You know what else happened since Quinn came back? Comrie hasn't played. Tage Thompson has scored 7 goals in 9 of those games.  I'm not putting Quinn's play down, but those 2 other things might be a much greater impact on the Sabres playing slightly better over the last 10 games than Quinn in the lineup himself.

Quinn almost immediately stabilized the jjp and cozens line.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.