Jack Quinn set to make season debut, Dec 19, 2023

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

Yes, You know what else happened since Quinn came back? Comrie hasn't played. Tage Thompson has scored 7 goals in 9 of those games.  I'm not putting Quinn's play down, but those 2 other things might be a much greater impact on the Sabres playing slightly better over the last 10 games than Quinn in the lineup himself.

Don’t forget the schedule 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No it wasn't and anyone who looked at more than wins and loses should have thought that. 

Quinn almost immediately stabilized the jjp and cozens line.

I agree he stablized that Cozens line.  Cozens I think has played awful most of the year, but he looks better (not great, but much better) back on that line.  I'm just saying the 5 wins are more a result of Tage scoring and getting decent goaltending rather than Quinn himself. I do understand that inserting him into the lineup has an impact beyond just himself though.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree he stablized that Cozens line.  Cozens I think has played awful most of the year, but he looks better (not great, but much better) back on that line.  I'm just saying the 5 wins are more a result of Tage scoring and getting decent goaltending rather than Quinn himself. I do understand that inserting him into the lineup has an impact beyond just himself though.

Quinn is a big part of it. But like you alluded to, there are other big parts at play, too. That’s sort of the point: there’s almost always multiple variables, and in fact, after so much experience watching saviours fail, you’d think people would be fully on board with the fact it usually *requires* multiple variables to get anything done.

There’s no magic formula, they’re a Quiga board. There are always a multitude of things pulling in any given direction when the team amounts to a win or a loss. Or an extended stretch of such.

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I'm glad Quinn is back and no question he makes the team better.  We were 3-2-1 in the 6 games before he came back as well.  We have played at a 92 point pace over the past 16 games.  The team was trending up and playing a bit better already after a 1-5 stretch from Nov 25 and to Dec 5.  We have a chance over the next 6-7 games to move our trend line heading into the post all-star stretch. 

I think it is fair to criticize Adams.  Quinn was out, Tuch was banged up (per Ray's hot-mic moment) and the organization had lost faith in Olofsson.  There were players available (Toffoli, Zucker, Kerfoot) who could not only have bridged the gap but have been upgrades.  Instead we opted to give the opportunity to the prospect who most rose to the challenge in camp. I love Benson, but we needed more from that position this year than a 10 goal pace from an 18 year old who needs occasional sheltering (as Quinn and Peterka needed at times last year).   

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

A+ reference 

You had 3 months to prepare for it, ample cap space, or a trade piece in VO (expecting he'd be moved) that could have been a goal-scoring bridge to a "rebuilding" team that needed some scoring (but not too much scoring) or wanted to get out of a slightly higher-priced contract. Lots of options.

You had the foresight, the need for a top 6 forward, and the money/goods to make something happen, and then GM Sheevyn did this:

gQPuCQ.gif

In case anyone needs the Star Wars equivalent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.