Coaches are dropping like flies, 4 now, who's next?

Standing Room Smoking Cigs

2 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I'd assume that with the cap, it's harder to ship out players and easier to ship out a coach.

It's always been easier to fire the coach(es). 

The usual failed build/rebuild goes something like new GM, keeps coach and changes some key players but then fires that coach after a year to bring in his own guy, then fires that coach, maybe one more, then he gets fired, rinse and repeat until you get it right. 

GMs generally get 2-3 coaches before they get axed. 

Deconstructing a roster of players is always harder. 

50 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Consistently improving. Granted, not as fast as most would like, myself included, but they have gotten better every year under him.

This year? 

The year they were supposed to take an actual jump. 

This year is a big regression for all intents and purposes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Consistently improving. Granted, not as fast as most would like, myself included, but they have gotten better every year under him.

Pick your metric. There isn’t anything in the data or the eye test to back that up this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Jacques Martin is still in the game? 

I suppose he will be demanding and will try to wake them up, maybe get them to play harder and be more consistent, but interim means interim.  This is actually his 3rd time being a mid season interim replacement in the NHL.  

Granato will survive the year.  Unfortunately he just got extended but I really think it is time to move on and bring in a coach with proven NHL success.  Looking at Laviolette in NY, he had no trouble installing a system that included offense and defense and special teams in one off-season.  We have to get the NHL club out of the developmental mode, that is for Rochester.   

Granato is a great guy and he did a fine job to the point that he can.  He has not been given a full NHL roster either but his system, and his glacial pace of teaching it, is not NHL level.  

IF you are not improving you are getting worse.  We are getting worse again.  Teams just know how to stop us and we have no counter.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.