Benson - Keep him here

Night Train

10 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Frankly I think Benson is neither sad or happy about his situation. Being an 18 year old in the NHL where the only other 18 years olds are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall is nothing to scoff at. He probably would of loved to play for Team Canada but its not like he's playing 4th line grinder minutes here. The desire of being wanted certainly has an effect. 

The only other 18yr old in the NHL is connor Bedard now. Fantilli was 19yr before the season got going and Carlsson turned 19 yesterday. Benson is a rare breed. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The most interesting part of this story is that Dahlin took him in and engaged with him as if he is a family member. That's leadership and caring for a young teammate. 

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/no-world-juniors-no-problem-sabres-zach-benson-thrilled-to-be-in-buffalo/

It's basically what Matt Moulon did for Eichel.  Not all that uncommon.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 4:00 PM, LGR4GM said:

I never understand this stuff to be honest, I've always sucked at math and maybe these charts bring back nightmares I'm not sure! How did they determine a 78 for offensive impact? Passing 90? Are they counting the easy passes up ice that are routine along with the hard passes because that would inflate the passing entirely. Defensive impact? Other than blocked shots how in the world can you determine that or half of these? I love what Benson brings to this team but I think these charts are just for nerds who think they're smarter than everyone else (which is most likely true but not in this case).

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I never understand this stuff to be honest, I've always sucked at math and maybe these charts bring back nightmares I'm not sure! How did they determine a 78 for offensive impact? Passing 90? Are they counting the easy passes up ice that are routine along with the hard passes because that would inflate the passing entirely. Defensive impact? Other than blocked shots how in the world can you determine that or half of these? I love what Benson brings to this team but I think these charts are just for nerds who think they're smarter than everyone else (which is most likely true but not in this case).

I agree for the most part.

On one hand, I could see some value of looking deeper into the numbers...generating a metric that shows you more than what the naked eye will show you, or would basic stats can show you so I get that.

At the same time, a lot of people who like these stats, Totally disregard other stats like... Pure goal scoring or plus-minus. I know plus minus is flawed individually, but when you use it in conjunction with other available stats it still can be a tool.

I like some of the fancy stats... But I agree with you that there are some people who use them as 100% of the basis for their argument... And when somebody throws out a bunch of the fancy stats and uses that and says that proves their point... It usually just gets an eye roll from me.

On 1/20/2024 at 6:29 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Especially when he has 1 pt in his last 10 games.

I hope KA remembers this when he pencils in rookies to plug roster holes this offseason. I hope the board remembers it 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I hope KA remembers this when he pencils in rookies to plug roster holes this offseason. I hope the board remembers it 

I wanted Benson sent back to Jrs.  I argued then that keeping him was a 2 year commitment because he is still to young to play in the AHL next season.  However, had he gone back to Jrs, it would have been his 4th CHL season and then would have been exempt from the age rules and could have been AHL bound next year.  Oh well.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Yup.  Quinn down = Benson opportunity.  Ugh.  Really, really needed a vet top 6 winger the moment Quinn got hurt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

For clarity, are you now of the view that Benson should have gone back to junior?  No worries either way, but just curious if your position has changed?

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Oh I will remember this.  I submit I knew this before KA did.

Nothing to do with Benson, but remember when the season started and the bottom 6 was not good enough.  Now at mid season and the top 6 is actually worse when you factor in their effort and all their errors.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.