Has This Organization Made Any Progress?

Flashsabre

Simple Question

This team seems no closer to even sneaking into the playoffs let alone doing damage.

PP is a mess. They seem to be outworked, confused in their own zone. 

I just have no answers. 

I mean Boston are dominant with less talent because they play a solid system and consistently work hard.

It is not that it is looking like 13 years of no playoffs, it’s that is doesn’t look like anything will improve moving forward. 

Sure there is a lot of young talent but it means nothing if there isn’t a successful system in place.

They need a couple guys that just go to the net with reckless abandon. They score no greasy goals whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

They need a real NHL coach, and a real NHL GM.  

DG can go back to the US program coaching 16-18 year olds, and KA can go back to running the HarborCenter Kiddie Academy. 

Friggin’ joke. 

14 minutes ago, seer775 said:

We're the youngest team in the league. It's going to take time, at least a few years. 

As long as KA doesn't make some really stupid moves, we will develop into a contender in time. We have the pieces. 

Oh my. Have you considered a career in comedy?

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

They need a real NHL coach, and a real NHL GM.  

DG can go back to the US program coaching 16-18 year olds, and KA can go back to running the HarborCenter Kiddie Academy. 

Friggin’ joke. 

Oh my. Have you considered a career in comedy?

Youngest team in the league. Are you surprised that they aren't as good as the Bruins, Rangers, Lightning, Knights who are made of seasoned NHL veterans that've been around the block many times over before they were good?

Give our boys the space and time to make something happen.

29 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Simple Question

This team seems no closer to even sneaking into the playoffs let alone doing damage.

PP is a mess. They seem to be outworked, confused in their own zone. 

I just have no answers. 

I mean Boston are dominant with less talent because they play a solid system and consistently work hard.

It is not that it is looking like 13 years of no playoffs, it’s that is doesn’t look like anything will improve moving forward. 

Sure there is a lot of young talent but it means nothing if there isn’t a successful system in place.

They need a couple guys that just go to the net with reckless abandon. They score no greasy goals whatsoever.

There are too many of the same small skilled players, that never works in the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, seer775 said:

We're the youngest team in the league. It's going to take time, at least a few years. 

As long as KA doesn't make some really stupid moves, we will develop into a contender in time. We have the pieces. 

You really gotta stop speaking in the 3rd person Kev 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

5 hours ago, seer775 said:

Youngest team in the league. Are you surprised that they aren't as good as the Bruins, Rangers, Lightning, Knights who are made of seasoned NHL veterans that've been around the block many times over before they were good?

Hi Kev.

Excuses excuses excuses.

"give our boys the space and time" lmfao

You got the "boys" part right. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, seer775 said:

Time is something this organization has had plenty of since Regier's now infamous What will it take answer......"suffering".

Well, it's been 12+ seasons now, do you feel we haven't "suffered" enough? The organization has lost the fan base, that happened years ago and it's showing. The very public, very embarrassing inability to get this team back on track for this length of time is approaching folk lore and legendary stupidity levels. When fans say it's like groundhog day, some now 12 to 15 years old, take them at their word because at those ages, they've never seen an exciting hockey team in Buffalo. That's an entire generation of potential hockey fans who are going to go in to their young adult lives using their home town team as the butt of their jokes, a punch line of failure.

Time? That's actually the one thing the Sabres have shortened the runway on. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, seer775 said:

So how long are we supposed to wait for this to happen....3, 4 more years?!?!  IMHO the organization itself set the expectation that this is the year they break the playoff drought, so now it is fair to hold them accountable to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

They've made zero progress other than having some good individual players in the system.  Other organizations over the past 12 years have made the playoffs, then had down cycles then had rebuilds, etc..    While the Sabres just stay around the bottom consistently.  

Terry, please sell the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

If you are what your record says you are, the answer to the question in the thread title is no.

There has been alot of injury circumstance so far this season, but the GM didn’t ensure we have enough depth to cover injuries that every other team in the league sees.

Levi is looking like he needs more time to develop, but the GM didn’t get a goalie that allows us the luxury to develop Levi.

The entire team looks like they may be folding a bit under the pressure of expectations, and the roster is too young and inexperienced to recognize what to do to get back to playing with confidence.  And although we went out and got a couple of playoff tested vets on defense, it clearly wasn’t enough to make up for the ridiculous amount of youth on this roster overall.

I really hope Adams is feeling some heat.  This all falls on his shoulders.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

So John Gibson has a 2.19 gaa and a .927 sv% this season. After years of weak play has he suddenly found his game? I would bet it rests squarely on Anaheim playing a more solid defensive game and limiting chances against.

Watching the Edmontons ,Torontos And Buffalos of the league believe that you can play wide open offensive hockey and be shabby in your own end and think you are going to get anywhere is comical. Atleast the Oilers and Leafs have tasted the playoffs.

Until the Sabres realize and commit to playing a consistent sound defensive game it doesn’t matter who they draft, sign or trade for. They will be spinning their wheels and none of these young guys will develop as they should.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Weave said:

If you are what your record says you are, the answer to the question in the thread title is no.

There has been alot of injury circumstance so far this season, but the GM didn’t ensure we have enough depth to cover injuries that every other team in the league sees.

Levi is looking like he needs more time to develop, but the GM didn’t get a goalie that allows us the luxury to develop Levi.

The entire team looks like they may be folding a bit under the pressure of expectations, and the roster is too young and inexperienced to recognize what to do to get back to playing with confidence.  And although we went out and got a couple of playoff tested vets on defense, it clearly wasn’t enough to make up for the ridiculous amount of youth on this roster overall.

Good post.

Should things continue the way they have these past 2 games, yes, Adams should be feeling heat.  (He should anytime they're short of what expectations are, but sample size is a thing.)  Winnipeg is another team like Buffalo with a better road record than home record.  The Blackhawks are still bad, but the Sabres had better not overlook anyone right now.  Get those 2 W's and a split with the Caps and Pens and they've officially come away with the 6 points they need ALL season per 5 games to get to the dance.

Don't like their chances minus both Thompson and Tuch, but it's Mittelstadt's and Cozens' opportunities to step up.  They both consider themselves to be leaders (and the folks around here agree w/ Dylan); so they need to treat this as an opportunity.  Have been fine with keeping Kulich in Ra-cha-cha, but they need help in the top 6 w/ 1/2 of it out of the lineup and the 1st kid asked to be a replacement also out.  The coaching staff MIGHT have faith that streaky Olofsson will go on one given time on whatever is the 2nd line & top PP w/ all that firepower out, but would hope they don't.

Will be interesting to see if there's any fire to the Hannifin rumblings we heard this weekend.  He would be a huge addition to the back end and would allow them to come up w/ pairings that make sense throughout all 3 pairs.

How many teams have rebuilt or retooled in the past 12 ?  Boston just retooled on the fly.  We helped them with Ulmark. 

Sure they miss Bergeron and Krechji but you don’t see it in the standings.   Expectations have not changed there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Progress you say?

The locker room is more unified than it was in years past.

The pipeline has more talent than it had in years past.

The team itself has more talent than it has had in years past. (except goaltending).

The PK is better this year than in prior years.

Yep. That’s all I got.

beer-craft.gif

1 hour ago, Weave said:

And people here talk about adding 2 or 3 more rookies next year. We have little cap space left to add vets in their prime with tread on their tires. 

We are not helping our top players to take the next step.   We could do to this core what we did to the last.   It’s very possible.  

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

And people here talk about adding 2 or 3 more rookies next year. We have little cap space left to add vets in their prime with tread on their tires. 

We are not helping our top players to take the next step.   We could do to this core what we did to the last.   It’s very possible.  

This is my biggest fear.

IMHO, the answer to the OP is that the Sabres have absolutely made significant progress in that the franchise has emerged from the stupidly self-inflicted nuclear winter of the tank -- but they have only partially hoisted themselves out of the abyss.  They could easily fall back in with another season or 2 of missing the playoffs.  KA needs to ensure that doesn't happen -- and that could require trading some assets, replacing DG and/or other hard choices.

31 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is my biggest fear.

IMHO, the answer to the OP is that the Sabres have absolutely made significant progress in that the franchise has emerged from the stupidly self-inflicted nuclear winter of the tank -- but they have only partially hoisted themselves out of the abyss.  They could easily fall back in with another season or 2 of missing the playoffs.  KA needs to ensure that doesn't happen -- and that could require trading some assets, replacing DG and/or other hard choices.

I have little doubt that the brain trust in Boston or Tampa or Vegas could come in, trade a few prospects and strengthen this roster out today.  That would include hiring a proven coach that could install an NHL system that adapts to changing game situations.  

Is Adams the guy to do that?  His reluctance to make even minor trades concerns me.  

I said I will evaluate them at the Holidays. I will back off and wait until January.  I want to see more of UPL and Comrie - and I cannot believe that I just said that.   I just want them to be good enough to allow Levi to spend two months in Rochester, let him develop the right way, before the league writes the book on him.  

But right now I am very concerned with the team.  Mostly their demeanor, and the lack of urgency to win a home game.  Last night was unacceptable.  

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I have little doubt that the brain trust in Boston or Tampa or Vegas could come in, trade a few prospects and strengthen this roster out today.  That would include hiring a proven coach that could install an NHL system that adapts to changing game situations.  

Is Adams the guy to do that?  His reluctance to make even minor trades concerns me.  

I said I will evaluate them at the Holidays. I will back off and wait until January.  I want to see more of UPL and Comrie - and I cannot believe that I just said that.   I just want them to be good enough to allow Levi to spend two months in Rochester, let him develop the right way, before the league writes the book on him.  

But right now I am very concerned with the team.  Mostly their demeanor, and the lack of urgency to win a home game.  Last night was unacceptable.  

Yes -- it kinda looks like they are getting used to losing, especially at home.  As I've said previously, IMHO this is a coaching issue and if it doesn't improve (and I agree with waiting until New Year's), I will want to move on from DG.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.