Has This Organization Made Any Progress?

Flashsabre

I’d want to find some obscure law and sue every related party to the movement as possible to prevent and or punish all involved.

The franchise has taken multiple steps forward under Adams, we are no longer the worst in hockey, we have a tremendous prospect pool and the players honestly feel like a team and not a bunch of mercenaries.  (They will go to bat for each other when the other team goes after them)

The issue now is how to take a young team and turn them into a strong contender. One major issue is how can we inject an unyielding desire to win onto a team without anyone having experienced winning here. In theory you need vets with playoff experience. The issue being that said players are rarely available until they are akin to Erik Johnson to which they have little if anything left in the tank but are still a great locker room presence. The only reason Ottawa got Giroux was its proximity to home. Same goes with a guy like Tavares. Okposo was originally meant to be one but his leadership seemed to get ignored by many until Eichel’s departure. The ever apparent issue is how any and all useful experienced players get paid far beyond their worth as UFAs, our younger players are commonly better than the general UFAs one can sign at reasonable rates and signing any vet unreasonably would cause us to lose multiple younger and arguably better alternatives.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GoPre said:

I can’t imagine pulling for another team if the Sabres left Buffalo.  Same for the Bills.  

If the Sabres left Buffalo, I would lose interest in the NHL. Probably watch some of the playoffs and that is it. 

Maybe support an AHL team if one ends up in Buffalo. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d want to find some obscure law and sue every related party to the movement as possible to prevent and or punish all involved.

The franchise has taken multiple steps forward under Adams, we are no longer the worst in hockey, we have a tremendous prospect pool and the players honestly feel like a team and not a bunch of mercenaries.  (They will go to bat for each other when the other team goes after them)

The issue now is how to take a young team and turn them into a strong contender. One major issue is how can we inject an unyielding desire to win onto a team without anyone having experienced winning here. In theory you need vets with playoff experience. The issue being that said players are rarely available until they are akin to Erik Johnson to which they have little if anything left in the tank but are still a great locker room presence. The only reason Ottawa got Giroux was its proximity to home. Same goes with a guy like Tavares. Okposo was originally meant to be one but his leadership seemed to get ignored by many until Eichel’s departure. The ever apparent issue is how any and all useful experienced players get paid far beyond their worth as UFAs, our younger players are commonly better than the general UFAs one can sign at reasonable rates and signing any vet unreasonably would cause us to lose multiple younger and arguably better alternatives.

wHy yOu cOnTiNuAlLy nEeD tO bRiNg uP eIChEl iS beYoNd mE

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Not me.  I didn't do it with the Braves, not gonna ever do it.  

If the Buffalo Sabres move to another city forget them - and expect that city to do a complete name and jersey makeover.  The Buffalo emblem can only be for The City of Buffalo. 

IF the Sabres move, that team will be dead to me.  And they would be even more despised than the Broons or Phlyers.  

But, honestly, don't see any scenario where that happens in the reasonably near future and even in the distant future a whole lot of things all have to come up snake eyes for it to go that way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If the Sabres left Buffalo, I would lose interest in the NHL. Probably watch some of the playoffs and that is it. 

Maybe support an AHL team if one ends up in Buffalo. 

IF the Bills left Buffalo, the NFL would be dead to me.  The sport (at least the No Fun League's version) continues to be less and less interesting IMHO.  Watch way too much of it, but often it's just background noise if the Bills aren't playing.  Watch every (far too often painful) moment of the Bills games though.

Can't give up on hockey.  But might be way more into college & youth hockey than the top tier.  Other than hating whatever the Sabres become, don't know how that would play out.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GoPre said:

Pegula bought the Sabres for $189 million.  I believe it was in 2011 he set an embarrassing three year timetable to win the Stanley Cup.  They haven't come close.  Can't even make the playoffs.  They are now valued at $900 million.  I wonder how much longer he's going to deal w/ such a headache.  Owning one Buffalo franchise is plenty of stress, can't imagine having two.  I don't see him selling the Bills before the Sabres.   

With his wife ill I’d say sell the Sabres. Concentrate on one team

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

The franchise has taken multiple steps forward under Murray, we are no longer the worst in hockey, we have a tremendous prospect pool and the players honestly feel like a team and not a bunch of mercenaries.  (They will go to bat for each other when the other team goes after them)

The issue now is how to take a young team and turn them into a strong contender. One major issue is how can we inject an unyielding desire to win onto a team without anyone having experienced winning here. In theory you need vets with playoff experience. The issue being that said players are rarely available until they are akin to Brian Gionta to which they have little if anything left in the tank but are still a great locker room presence. The only reason Toronto got Tavares was its proximity to home. Same goes with a guy like Sutter. Okposo could be one but his leadership seems to get ignored by Eichel. The ever apparent issue is how any and all useful experienced players get paid far beyond their worth as UFAs, our younger players are commonly better than the general UFAs one can sign at reasonable rates and signing any vet unreasonably would cause us to lose multiple younger and arguably better alternatives.

Garyv Losmochis GIF by Medios Corp.

Edited by #freejame

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

I went through this with the Braves.  I don't have the mental make-up for it.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Interesting thing to think about.

I think I COULD, but the thing that might turn me off is what would inevitably happen:  When I saw the players, the coaches, etc  have interviews over and over saying about how they love the new city, they are embracing the fanbase, saying how great the fans are for coming out to support them......and the marketing for the new team breaking most/all times with the "Buffalo Sabres" to build their own brand and marketing....well. that might do it for me.  Its not that I don't expect that to happen, but in today's society it would likely go too overboard for my taste.

At that point I would probably look around the league for a team that hasn't won in a while, but has a fun, young core and is starting to have success, with a young player or two that I really like... and start to follow them.

A decade ago (or more) when the Bills were playing in Toronto I kinda went through this thought process. There was talk that maybe the Bills, if they didn't get a new stadium, would move to Toronto. I thought...I don't go to the games myself..I live in Northern Niagara county and on a clear day I can SEE the Rogers center across the lake...we'd still be able to follow them on radio and get to watch all their games, so no big deal to me.  THEN, all it took is for me to hear ONE caller on 590 out of Toronto talk about this and say if the Bills moved there he would want to make sure they had NOTHING to do with "Buffalo" or the "Bills", he said he'd want them to be called Toronto of course, but pick a new team name, even change the colors.  I was like...if THAT is the attitude the fans want then screw Toronto (as far as the Bills going there is concerned)

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Not me.  I didn't do it with the Braves, not gonna ever do it.  

If the Buffalo Sabres move to another city forget them - and expect that city to do a complete name and jersey makeover.  The Buffalo emblem can only be for The City of Buffalo. 

Buffalo would almost certainly get a new team down the road. I’d root for the current team if they moved because it’s the same team, different city. Already know the players and the history. 

No way I will root for the Rags, Isles, dare I say Laughs. 

I'm in a tough spot with this team because I really do like it.  Maybe consciously or subconsciously, some of you do too.  I think that's why I get so upset, because I want them to be good for myself but for them too.

I like DG and KA.  I like Tage,  Skinner, Tuch, and Dahlin.  I believe in Quinn, Power, Cozens and Peterka.  I don't want to lose Mitts.  I talk myself into feeling decent about Krebs. I think our draft picks were solid - even though smaller forwards and I like where Rochester is.  

So ok, I don't like Ollie.  I can live without Okposo and Girgs.  I'm ok without Greenway.  Clifton seemingly is JAG. Johnson didn't add much. Well what would we get in return for filling out the roster without them and their cost?

So what am I supposed to do when I like all the guys who are under contract for a while and seemingly the core?  I sure as crap don't know.  Blow it up?  Good grief this sucks.

Edited by 7+6=13
  • Like (+1) 5

22 hours ago, seer775 said:

We're the youngest team in the league. It's going to take time, at least a few years. 

As long as KA doesn't make some really stupid moves, we will develop into a contender in time. We have the pieces. 

I feel like I heard this. Maybe it was in 2012, then in 2015, then in 2018, then 2021

The response to this thread title = absolutely NOT, except for some prospects. Results matter...
I still love my team and always will. At the same time, I am truly disappointed with the coaching, lack of chemistry and structure, lack of grit...c'mon KA and meatballs, we're pissed (KA - my take is your hands are tied royal and if so, sorry 'bout your luck).

Beer goggles prevail!

Go Sabres

Edited by Cityo'Rasmii
  • Like (+1) 1

Have they made progress? Well they’ve managed to build a pipeline full of high end prospects but none of them are ready to contribute so the point in moot. No real progress that I can see. They’ve taken a step back and it appears all the good vibes from last season have been washed away. Even if some were ready to contribute theres essentially no goaltender, the seasoned vets we do have are pretty much washed and bringing more kids that don’t appear to be ready onto the youngest team in the league is foolhardy. Unless you want another high end prospect. KA has ***** the bed.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

IMHO - the organization has made progress......for the 2025/2026 season.  This 2023/2024 version still lacks key pieces and the right mix of players to deliver on the promise of the playoffs.

"We're going to be good two years from now" has been the Sabres mantra every season for the last 12 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sometimes things just take time and 'click' when they 'click.

Look at Anaheim this year so far:

Sure, preseason doesn't matter, but it does matter to some fans (look at how we were talking about the Sabres coming out of preseason).  The last 3 preseason games, the Ducks lost all 3, by a total score of 15-4. The last one a blowout loss of 7-1.  So, fanbase not feeling well about the team, well the regular season is starting, prove the preseason was wrong, right?  They open losing 4-1, then one win, then another loss, and another loss, and another loss.  After just 5 games, they start the regular season a week and a half into it at 1w-4L.

Then, they go 8-2 in their next 10, including 2 of the wins vs Boston and Vegas.

Will it happen with the Sabres? Its going to be tough with the injuries....but somethings things just happen because they happen.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Night Train said:

I believe many have been on the right track in their posting.

Young talent is here. Progress in their development of a complete game is lacking. Stuck on a lower level. 

Someone needs to come in with a diffent scheme and push them harder. Might be they are being too patient now and a bit coddled. 

I agree. This has been my thought expressed in other threads. I mentioned the assistant in Seattle (Leach) who coached in the Bruins system for 4 years (HC of their AHL team). Need a coach from a winning franchise that has a sound system. He needs to get these players tougher mentally and physically. 

(Bit of an aside but I just don’t think the organization has been on top of developing their talent. Physically - all these guys need to get bigger and stronger. Mentally - they need a hardened, tougher mentality. And they need a sound system (doesn’t have to be some hyper rigid defense - but just proven that allows their hockey talent to flourish as a team). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I agree. This has been my thought expressed in other threads. I mentioned the assistant in Seattle (Leach) who coached in the Bruins system for 4 years (HC of their AHL team). Need a coach from a winning franchise that has a sound system. He needs to get these players tougher mentally and physically. 

(Bit of an aside but I just don’t think the organization has been on top of developing their talent. Physically - all these guys need to get bigger and stronger. Mentally - they need a hardened, tougher mentality. And they need a sound system (doesn’t have to be some hyper rigid defense - but just proven that allows their hockey talent to flourish as a team). 

The last thing we need is ANOTHER entry level hire. There are multiple guys available with a long track record of success, hire one of them.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

The last thing we need is ANOTHER entry level hire. There are multiple guys available with a long track record of success, hire one of them.

Not all entry level coaches are created equal. I see a far more stable coaching and system (Bruins) from a Leach than Granato - who sort of bounced around everywhere. 

I am not opposed to a retread. Gallant is interesting. He has potential. And does he want to go to Buffalo? 

But who else is successful and sitting there (and also employable - which leaves out Quenneville and Babcock)? 

21 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Not all entry level coaches are created equal. I see a far more stable coaching and system (Bruins) from a Leach than Granato - who sort of bounced around everywhere. 

I am not opposed to a retread. Gallant is interesting. He has potential. And does he want to go to Buffalo? 

But who else is successful and sitting there (and also employable - which leaves out Quenneville and Babcock)? 

Happy National Hockey League GIF by NHL

22 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

I'm in a tough spot with this team because I really do like it.  Maybe consciously or subconsciously, some of you do too.  I think that's why I get so upset, because I want them to be good for myself but for them too.

I like DG and KA.  I like Tage,  Skinner, Tuch, and Dahlin.  I believe in Quinn, Power, Cozens and Peterka.  I don't want to lose Mitts.  I talk myself into feeling decent about Krebs. I think our draft picks were solid - even though smaller forwards and I like where Rochester is.  

So ok, I don't like Ollie.  I can live without Okposo and Girgs.  I'm ok without Greenway.  Clifton seemingly is JAG. Johnson didn't add much. Well what would we get in return for filling out the roster without them and their cost?

So what am I supposed to do when I like all the guys who are under contract for a while and seemingly the core?  I sure as crap don't know.  Blow it up?  Good grief this sucks.

I think the core is set and good to build around. However I think I was fooled into thinking we’d take the next step this year knowing full well we may not make playoffs because of our ridiculously hard division.

I did not think about how many players had career years and what it would mean if they regressed even a little. And this seems to be the case early on for many. And because of that it’s showing how poor we are in the bottom six and still, defensively.

This was an error by KA in building on last year. Certainly not all of the core can have career years all the time. I think we are known as soft as well and don’t benefit from it from any measuring stick. I still hope they can do it but even a few injuries and playing below average in a division that’s hard and has continuous 3 point games, will make it difficult every year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.