Sabres return Matt Savoie to WHL Wenatchee Wild

Brawndo

On 11/12/2023 at 10:26 AM, Brawndo said:

I do wonder if he needed to play one game in order to satisfy the requirements that he was indeed sent down to the AHL stint before being returned to the WHL, not sure if that’s a thing or not. 

Also, Benson should be allowed to play in the AHL next year as his first season in the WHL was only 24 games but that was total number games that was played because of Covid. I think the CHL is counting that as a year accrued of service.

Benson and Savoie probably both make the team out of training camp next year however, it would be nice to have an option with Benson to send him  to a place where he would have better competition if necessary

Next year is another clean slate tryout.  How many rookies make it?   Kulich, Benson, Rosen, Savoie.  We cannot absorb them all. Mostly because they are similar type players. 

Savoie is most likely needing a full year in the AHL.  Benson has a natural two way game, so he could stick.  Kulich and Rosen will get long looks and are probably more ready than Savoie.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Next year is another clean slate tryout.  How many rookies make it?   Kulich, Benson, Rosen, Savoie.  We cannot absorb them all. Mostly because they are similar type players. 

Savoie is most likely needing a full year in the AHL.  Benson has a natural two way game, so he could stick.  Kulich and Rosen will get long looks and are probably more ready than Savoie.  

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Greenway - Mittelstadt - Peterka

Quinn - Cozens - Benson

Girgensons - Krebs - Rousek

Jost - Kulich spares.

Doesn't include Kane sliding into the top end; doesn't include a vet 4C coming aboard.

Rosen the 1st player called up if they need more offense.  Jost the spare for the 4th line just because that will likely be more of a defensively responsible line.  Might Cedarqvist or one of the other Amerks earn a look in that role?  (Haven't watched the Amerks at all yet this year, so no idea on who, if anybody, might be ready for a 4th line role next year.)

Leaves 7 D w/ either Jokiharju or Clifton being the 7th presuming either E Johnson comes back again or a Hannifan-esque player gets brought it.  Maybe a Hannifan-esque guy is brought in for Jokiharju & Krebs/Savoie + a pick.

Which could open up a space for Metsa or one of the Russians to be the spare/ 1st call up depending upon whether the Big Johnson is back.

It could also open up a spot for the vet 4C that would've been nice to bring in this past year.

They really are getting close to the point (if they aren't already there) where they need to start moving some of the forwards out of the system.  They at least need to be cognizant of who starts aging into losing their waiver exemptions.  (Haven't looked closely at ages / experience of these guys, but that will start cropping up in the next couple of years.)

And that's total spitballing.  Hadn't looked at next year's lineup too much.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

48 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It’s a shame he can’t be in Rochester.  

I’m a CHL fan and former OHL season ticket holder so I understand the rule but I could get behind one exemption per team.

Savoie will get stronger and hopefully work on his 200’ game but he would be better off in the AHL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 11/19/2023 at 4:34 AM, steveoath said:

He’s too good for that league

Not every game will be like that. Remember,  Savoie had such a slow start last year that he did not get an invite to Team Canada’s World Jr tryout in Dec. Also, in the WHL final last year his team lost 4-1 and he had only 2 assists in the 5 games. 

He will play at the World Juniors this year. He will get another year going through the grind of a long season with lots of travel. He will get a chance to learn how to sustain production through a long playoff run. He will get another year of being a team’s top player and leader, getting top PP and PK time.  There is so much that he can learn playing Jr hockey. 

Bedard wasn’t too good for the WHL last year. Savoie is not too good for Jr. hockey. 

39 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Not every game will be like that. Remember,  Savoie had such a slow start last year that he did not get an invite to Team Canada’s World Jr tryout in Dec. Also, in the WHL final last year his team lost 4-1 and he had only 2 assists in the 5 games. 

He will play at the World Juniors this year. He will get another year going through the grind of a long season with lots of travel. He will get a chance to learn how to sustain production through a long playoff run. He will get another year of being a team’s top player and leader, getting top PP and PK time.  There is so much that he can learn playing Jr hockey. 

Bedard wasn’t too good for the WHL last year. Savoie is not too good for Jr. hockey. 

Savoie wasn’t invited to the WJC because Hockey Canada got butthurt he played in the USHL during covid. 

• Agree 2

On 11/19/2023 at 12:10 PM, French Collection said:

I’m a CHL fan and former OHL season ticket holder so I understand the rule but I could get behind one exemption per team.

Savoie will get stronger and hopefully work on his 200’ game but he would be better off in the AHL.

Even one exemption per team is too much, but one exemption per team every 3 (or 5) years might make sense.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

Not every game will be like that. Remember,  Savoie had such a slow start last year that he did not get an invite to Teams Canada’s World Jr tryout in Dec. Also, in the WHL final last year his team lost 4-1 and he had only 2 assists in the 5 games. 

As I’ve said before, it’s not that Savoie is too good for Jr hockey, it’s that Jr. hockey isn’t good enough for him. He can only fully develop by playing against superior competition and he simply won’t find much of that in the WHL. He needs to be in Rochester. The CHL rule prohibiting that is a detriment to players like Savoie and others who need a level of competition between juniors and the NHL to facilitate the their development. 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

He had only 1 point last night... 7 points in 4 games. 

there is no way he should be in the CHL when he proved he belonged in the AHL   A prospects future is more important than selling a few extra tickets in the WHL.

The folks that own CHL teams appear to disagree with you.  Count the owner of the WA team that played in Winnipeg among that group.  They could allow the Sabres to have him play in the AHL, but they would rather have him help them set interest in the team in its 1st year in its new location and help them try to win the Memorial Cup.  Tough to blame them for that perspective.

37 minutes ago, K-9 said:

As I’ve said before, it’s not that Savoie is too good for Jr hockey, it’s that Jr. hockey isn’t good enough for him. He can only fully develop by playing against superior competition and he simply won’t find much of that in the WHL. He needs to be in Rochester. The CHL rule prohibiting that is a detriment to players like Savoie and others who need a level of competition between juniors and the NHL to facilitate the their development. 

I respect your view.  It would be more supportable if you provided a list of players who failed to fully develop specifically because they returned to junior for their 19 year old season. 

Savoie can, and most likely will, spend significant time in Rochester after this season.

Edited by Archie Lee

On 11/19/2023 at 11:10 AM, French Collection said:

So who would that go to on the Sabres?  Savoie or Benson?

Okay so..... two exceptions per team.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I respect your view.  It would be more supportable if you provided a list of players who failed to fully develop specifically because they returned to junior for their 19 year old season. 

Savoie can, and most likely will, spend significant time in Rochester after this season.

That is an impossible ask. And you know that. 

But the point isn’t about players who failed to “fully develop” in junior hockey. The point is that players who are clearly in need of a bigger challenge can’t get it because of a rule that denies them the opportunity. Yes, Savoie is going to spend considerable more time in Rochester next year, where he has shown he already belongs, but his progress as a pro hockey prospect will have been hindered in the meantime because he would be that much farther along is allowed to compete in the A vs men as opposed to teenagers.

Would Kulich be better off in juniors and more fully developed if he were forced to return to that level at 19 years of age?

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, K-9 said:

But the point isn’t about players who failed to “fully develop” in junior hockey. The point is that players who are clearly in need of a bigger challenge can’t get it because of a rule that denies them the opportunity. Yes, Savoie is going to spend considerable more time in Rochester next year, where he has shown he already belongs, but his progress as a pro hockey prospect will have been hindered in the meantime because he would be that much farther along is allowed to compete in the A vs men as opposed to teenagers.

Would Kulich be better off in juniors and more fully developed if he were forced to return to that level at 19 years of age?

Return? Kulich never played in the CHL. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

While I mostly agree with you, a 19-year-old 5'9" player may well be better off gaining strength off-ice while playing against teenagers than getting rocked for 72 games in the A against 25-year-olds with no way to the NHL other than being hard-nosed players. In the end, Savoie isn't going to be ruined playing in the CHL this year, and it helps the Sabres by delaying the start of his pro contract timeline.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hank said:

Return? Kulich never played in the CHL. 

I know that. The point is if Kulich had been in juniors and given what we know of his development as a teenager in the AHL thus far, would his development be better served by having to return to a less competitive league.

Savoie’s interests are not being best served by forcing him to return to juniors. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.