GDT: Sabres @ Flyers - November 1, 2023 - 7:00PM, TNT/MAX/MSG-B📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Not awful, but sheltered.  He played 8 minutes. He got pushed around at times and finished -1, he was credited with 1 hit and 2 blocked shots.  He did ok, mostly invisible.  

The Sabres blocked 18 shots as a team.  Joker, Power and Dahlin all saved goals IMO.  

I still cannot believe how slow and lifeless they were. 

Johnson and Thompson too.  Johnson on the PK right before drawing a penalty himself and Tommer with the quick stick to get a piece of the shooter's w/ about 2 minutes left in the game.  (Pretty sure it was Tommer, might've been Tuch.)

PS - hope your wife is ok.  Prayers to you and yours.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I didn’t sleep.  Took my wife to the hospital last night, heart trouble.  She is being tested right now and I am waiting … 

I must be escaping the stress.  Sleep can wait. 

My thoughts and prayers are with your wife, you and family. Sports are fun and a diversion. Sometimes we lose perspective over a game. I'm sure you haven't. Real life is real life. 🙏

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

We didn't play well. That's obvious. However, we won. Winning when not expected and losing when not expected are part of the vagaries of a long and grinding season. When the season concludes, what counts is how many points your team earned. We got two points out of this game. There were occasions last season when we outplayed the opposition and lost because of the stellar play of the other team's goalie. In this game, we were the recipient of quality netminding when the opponent outplayed us. I'll take it. 

Ya, exactly, which is why I said it fits the classic "a win's a win" by definition. You take it and move on. But you can't keep playing like that or you will be in deep trouble. 

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Our defense bailed UPL out a lot, blocked shots on those wide open nets.   UPL might be a nice back up goalie in the future, but his lateral movement and glove needs more work.

We did block more shots than we usually seem to do that is definitely true. I totally agree about his movement. He's just a big slow clunky body and I don't see that changing. 

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

We didn't play well. That's obvious. However, we won. Winning when not expected and losing when not expected are part of the vagaries of a long and grinding season. When the season concludes, what counts is how many points your team earned. We got two points out of this game. There were occasions last season when we outplayed the opposition and lost because of the stellar play of the other team's goalie. In this game, we were the recipient of quality netminding when the opponent outplayed us. I'll take it. 

That just happened a few games ago against Montreal...their goalie was like a stonewall and stopped 3 breakaways.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ... said:

They are? Doubt it. The UPL we saw last night will get us creamed in a playoff series.

Alright, a player that might contribute and solidify the goaltending so that Levi has a manageable workload for the regular season and can therefore play most of the playoffs. That was my thought; I hope that clarifies it for you.

45 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Alright, a player that might contribute and solidify the goaltending so that Levi has a manageable workload for the regular season and can therefore play most of the playoffs. That was my thought; I hope that clarifies it for you.

The UPL we've seen the past several games is fundamentally the same UPL we saw late last season with minor personal improvement. The major improvement has come from the team in front of him.

The person you are referring to above might very well be Comrie, if only he could stay healthy. 

29 minutes ago, ... said:

The UPL we've seen the past several games is fundamentally the same UPL we saw late last season with minor personal improvement. The major improvement has come from the team in front of him.

The person you are referring to above might very well be Comrie, if only he could stay healthy. 

Ah, well, that seems to be a problem.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

The 6K we saw last year was never close to top ten in win percentage, not that I care about such things. What I do care about is of the last 63 shots he faced, only two got by him. One was a good deflection where the shot was wide right, the other was a deflection off of Joki. Most important though is 6K has won every game he's started. By any metric or eye test (well, almost any eye test), he's had a decent start to the season. 

On 11/2/2023 at 8:51 AM, Pimlach said:

I didn’t sleep.  Took my wife to the hospital last night, heart trouble.  She is being tested right now and I am waiting … 

I must be escaping the stress.  Sleep can wait. 

Sorry to clutter the thread with this, but thanks for all the kind responses and prayers. 🙏

They did a whole bunch of tests  - found no damage, no blockage.  They are adjusting meds and we move on with maintenance and monitoring.  

Slept like a bear last night.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Sorry to clutter the thread with this, but thanks for all the kind responses and prayers. 🙏

They did a whole bunch of tests  - found no damage, no blockage.  They are adjusting meds and we move on with maintenance and monitoring.  

Slept like a bear last night.  

Good news, thinking of your family.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.